Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

wilder

Netflix Strikes Exclusive Four Picture Deal With Adam Sandler, David O. Russell Will Make Two Films With Annapurna
via The Playlist

Netflix are certainly getting aggressive this week. First the company announced a day and date release of the "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" sequel, and this evening the streaming video company announced another bold move with with respect to original movie programming: a four-picture deal with Adam Sandler. Sandler will star and produce four untitled movies for Netflix exclusively.

"People love Adam's films on Netflix and often watch them again and again. His appeal spans across viewers of all ages —everybody has a favorite movie, everyone has a favorite line— not just in the U.S. but all over the world," Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandossaid in a press release.

"When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said yes for one reason and one reason only....Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks," said Sandler. "Let the streaming begin!" Classy, right?

Sandler's Happy Madison Productions will develop the four films alongside Netflix; each will be premiered exclusively to subscribers in the nearly 50 countries in the company operates. Sandler's current studio film commitments are not affected by this deal.

Sandler's movies have grossed more than $3 billion worldwide, although his latest movie "Blended" grossed only $46 million domestically, and 2012's "That's My Boy"  is his lowest grossing Happy Madison production since "Little Nicky" in 2000.

In related news, David O. Russell made a two picture deal with Annapurna Pictures, the Megan Ellison-run company that produced "American Hustle."

Reel

Quote from: Reelist on September 21, 2014, 07:44:19 PM
Oh, look! Adam Sandler's trying something

This might be our last shot at getting something edgy outta him. Come on, Adam..

jenkins

norte, the end of history, a 4h10min heavy-hitter, by lav diaz, is on netflix streaming

not sure when i'll watch this but i want to

march releases:

30 for 30: Or Miracles and Men (2014)
The ABCs of Death 2 (2014) *Available 3.5
The Brothers Grimm (2009)
Evelyn (2002)
Food Chains (2014) *Available 3.5
Finding Neverland (2004)
Mercy Rule (2014)
Monsters High: 13 Wishes (2013)
Monsters High: Ghouls Rule (2012)
Rules of Engagement (2000)
Teen Witch (1989)
Patch Adams (1998)
After the Fall (2014)
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (2014)
Archer: Season Five (2014)
Cesar Chavez (2014)
Glee: Season Five (2013)
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)
Monster High: Haunted (2015)
Tyler Perry's The Single Moms Club (2014)
Aziz Ansari: Live at Madison Square Garden (2015)
My Own Man (2014)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (2015)
3rd Rock from the Sun: The Complete Series (1996-2001)
A Different World: The Complete Series (1987-1993)
Dummy (2002)
God's Not Dead (2014)
Life Itself (2014)
Marvel & ESPN Films Present: 1 of 1: Genesis (2014)
You're Not You (2014)
Bloodline: Season One (2015)
Ask Me Anything (2014)
Frankie & Alice (2010)
Garfunkel and Oates: Season One (2014)
The Man with the Iron Fists (2012)
November Man (2014)
Trailer Park Boys: Season Nine (2015)
Turn: Season One (2014)
Mad Men: Season Seven (2014)

hey cmon like 4.3% of that is watchable dude

ono

Quote from: 03 on February 24, 2015, 09:14:27 PM
march releases:

Finding Neverland (2004)
Archer: Season Five (2014)
Aziz Ansari: Live at Madison Square Garden (2015)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (2015)
3rd Rock from the Sun: The Complete Series (1996-2001)
A Different World: The Complete Series (1987-1993)
Mad Men: Season Seven (2014)

17.9% by my math!  Maybe more because some failed name recognition.

well your math doesnt include that archer is an inexcusable joke of a program that should be erased off the face of the earth for a multitude of factual reasons that don't include opinion or taste. also, aziz isn't funny in the least bit and the filler that he provides is better in small doses, which is what filler is. the rest that you listed is perfect and what i included in my percentage.

wilder

Netflix Orders Maria Bamford Comedy Series From Mitch Hurwitz & Pam Brady
via Deadline

Netflix boss Ted Sarandos said in January that the Internet network is aiming at offering as many as 20 original scripted series a year. The company is well on its way with a slew of new series pickups in the past few months. The latest is Lady Dynamite, a single-camera comedy starring actress-comedian Maria Bamford. It is executive produced by Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz who has a deal at Netflix and cast Bamford as Debris Bardeaux in the new installment of his cult comedy he did for the streaming giant in 2013.

Co-written by Hurwitz and South Park alumna Pam Brady and produced by Netflix, Lady Dynamite, which had received  13-episode order, "is based on what Bamford has accepted to be 'her life.' The occasionally surreal episodes, refracted across multiple periods inspired by the actor/comedian's life, tell the story of a woman who loses – and then finds – her s**t."

Brady, Hurwitz and Bamford executive produce, with Brady serving as showrunner.

This marks the latest comedy series order for Netflix, which recently picked up the single-camera Bob Odenkirk-David Cross sketch comedy With Bob And David and an untitled Aziz Ansari show, and the multi-camera Fuller House and The Ranch starring Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson, which is in the final stages of deal-making. Coming up are the Wet Hot American Summer followup series and the Judd Apatow-produced Love.

Bamford is the creator and star of cult web series The Maria Bamford Show and Maria Bamford: the special special special, which is available on Netflix. She is the first female comic to have two half-hour Comedy Central Presents specials and appeared in the Comedy Central series The Comedians Of Comedy and Netflix's Comedians Of Comedy: The Movie. Bamford's extensive voiceover work includes Netflix's BoJack Horseman as well as Cartoon Network's Adventure Time and PBS' Word Girl.

my 60 year old mother has recently undergone a shoulder transplant, as a result of that and my recent nursing license, i've been taking full time care of her. so i've had to find her some interesting things to keep her entertained, and i've found that my blind assumptions were empirically good. both super recommended to naysayers especially (bc i was one, bro)

the first series is called grace and frankie. a netflix original created by the friends people and fargo/its always sunny people. lily tomlin, charlie sheen, jane fonda, sam waterston, and a myriad of recognizable people. basically two rich af attorneys decide to announce their 20 year long homosexual affair to each of their wives of 40 years and the two chicks end up dealing with their hatred for one another due to their spontaneous and unwanted connection. an amazing family comedy while still being ridiculously tear welling and poetic at many points. think modern family rated r.

the second series: miss fishers murder mysteries. also entirely netflix. don't have much to say but watch this. it is fucking phenomenal. think of a sexy(ier?) angela lansbury donning a louise brooks outfit in a peter greenaway film co produced by david fincher.

jenkins

i got a free Netflix trial so i could watch A Very Murray Christmas which, i must say, was very much worth the price. can't complain about a free Christmas treat, and now i want to watch Somewhere again.

streaming Netflix currently, as if i live in 2015. thing is, two or so hours ago i finished Brother's Keeper, and i can't stop thinking about Brother's Keeper. it's jammed me up in this wonderful way. has everyone/anyone seen it?

currently "obsessed" with it. the directors learned direct cinema through the Maysles, they're perhaps best known for the Paradise Lost trilogy, or maybe Metallica Some Kind of Monster or Book of Shadows Blair Witch 2.

Brother's Keeper, which title is plucked from an Old Testament Cain/Abel quote that's used in epigraph, it has so much of humanity bottled inside it. it's so well put together, Grey Gardens good, and in fact there's a murder trial in the background. it's a bit like if Claude Lévi-Strauss made a movie about this murder, in terms of how well the human dimensions are explored.

records indicate this doc has been previously supported by Ethan Coen, in a list given to Time Out:

QuoteEthan Coen
01. Brother's Keeper
02. Il Bidone
03. Salesman
04. The Bad News Bears
05. The Fortune

Joel Coen

06. The Fortune
07. High and Low
08. Dames
09. Separate Tables
10. Where Eagles Dare

jenkins

Maysles and Akerman, cinematically speaking, they died happily. i like documentaries and narratives about singular personalities in the city. i escape into them, and also they're people. i was glad to have watched this and she and Maysles were meant for each other.

this is the type of thing that happens when i have netflix. so i sampled this, i'm only three movies behind in the series (i've only seen the first), and i watched the beginning of this, then i scrubbed through it and, you know, there might be something to this movie. i mean it doesn't look like it, but maybe. i'd be ok with being a person who watched all of this movie and even better if i'd seen the ones before it too.

another nyc gem here. that apartment in that building in that circumstance with those people and the camera. it's not too wild to say that i wish the entire hollywood apparatus would dismantle itself and actually just all movies were like this, is what i'm saying. it's a fact that i preferred this to The Dark Knight, for example, which they're a big fan of, and i thought this was pretty good. i most liked when they went to the beach, and the vice doc with them meeting David O.

the native american dad was a good dad. i don't now think of Adam Sandler as a terrible person. i mean, they're goofy. i didn't realize Vanilla Ice was Mark Twain. i missed the Harvey Keitel part because actually i saw the first ten minutes of this movie, fell asleep, then i watched the last half hour, and i thought it was a good movie.

took a gamble, calling it a win. i liked the pov shot with the spraypainting and electronic music and cops. i liked all the electronic music and cityscape. there were many narrative choices that were so French to make. why would you spraypaint the dog?? meanies. then it's a bit like Paranoid Park. also other things. glad i watched this.

there was too much WW2 at the end for me. i most liked between the two wars, androgyny and the idea of people throwing fantastically textured parties, that's always this thing i like to hear about.

jenkins

if you haven't seen it it's better than what you're imagining, and if you've seen it you're feeling me on this. even thinking now about the movie's opening makes me grin. there are fire breathers, there's a fire breather performing when the first gunshot happens, during a street parade, and get out of town about how good that is, and how much skill it takes to put this entire movie together. to say it's a jam packed movie is an understatement. watched it on Netflix and i'm still going to blu-ray it

jenkins

Sean Baker is the real deal. when Starlet first came out i thought it'd be too easy. i thought i could guess the movie because of its ingredients. but Baker does one of my favorite things, he thinks from the insides of his characters, so it's just a cherry on top that he incorporates elements most commonly associated with exploitative material.

if i described the narrative i'd be spoiling the movie. maybe the trailer does that, i didn't watch the trailer. if Baker made the movie tomorrow perhaps the middle and the end would be composed differently. the end is melodramatic, which is odd because the movie itself isn't very melodramatic. or like, it's melodramatic but straight faced, except for the end. Tangerine is better executed, but that means Baker went from great to greater.