Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

Ravi

I HATED having to look at the TV listing in the newspaper or wait for the Preview channel to finally land on whatever channels I was looking for. Now I can scroll through the channel guide to whatever channel and whatever time I want.

Sleepless

Has anyone heard of VEOH.com before? Found it today after a random search for Godard's King Lear. The whole damn film is up there to watch for free. Can't believe it. It's been years since I've seen it, and that was on a shitty VHS copy I can't even play anymore. Well chuffed. But anyway, anyone know anything about this site?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pubrick

Quote from: Sleepless on October 05, 2011, 02:59:34 PM
Has anyone heard of VEOH.com before?

it seems that you can only watch 5 minutes of it unless you install some spam/malware bullshit.

there's millions of sites like this around. it's a trap.
under the paving stones.

Sleepless

Yes, I saw that when I went back later. Fuckers.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Stefen, your Monday just got a little better:

Ahh, July. We miss you so. The world was newer then, the air fresher, the people a little nicer, and there used to be something called Qwikster. Built as a solution to the heady problem of renting videos to people who still use optical media, Qwikster was supposed to be the part of Netflix that still slipped disks into little sleeves. Netflix proper, on the other hand, would simply stream videos over the Internet and never the twain would meet.

Writes Netflix:

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password... in other words, no Qwikster.

That's right: Qwikster is dead. Netflix's CEO Reed Hastings says the plan was misguided and that this will be the last time they futz with the pricing in a long while. Considering no one could actually spell Qwikster (Quixter? Quickstor? Qkstr?) let alone cared enough to create two accounts, one for streaming and one for the occasional DVD, it was a fairly sly move on Netflix's part. I just wonder what pushed them over the edge? Low uptake? Feeling silly when they said the name? I have a line in at Netflix right now asking them but until then, revel in a world with one fewer standalone DVD rental service.

RegularKarate

I just got an email from Netflix.  Congratulations, internet whiners, you won.

I actually mean that sincerely.  I'm glad it worked this time.

Stefen

Good on Netflix to admit their mistake and fix it.  :bravo:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Bethie

Wonder Years now available to instantly stream on Netflix? Netflix, you're forgiven. :yabbse-thumbup:
who likes movies anyway

ono

Awesome.  (The Wonder Years, if it was made today, would be based on the years 1991-1996.)  Amazon Prime also has it.  http://www.amazon.com/Pilot/dp/B005SH5H62/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1318514219&sr=1-1

Reel

Quote from: ono on October 13, 2011, 08:58:31 AM
(The Wonder Years, if it was made today, would be based on the years 1991-1996.) 

Totally.

Sleepless

Google Inc.'s YouTube is expected to announce as early as next week that it has signed a slew of partnerships with media companies and well-known personalities to produce original content for the popular video website, said people familiar with the matter.

Among the expected partners are major media companies such as IAC/InterActiveCorp.'s Electus, News Corp.'s ShineReveille unit, RTL Group's FremantleMedia Ltd., as well as skateboarding legend Tony Hawk and "CSI" creator Anthony Zuiker, other people familiar with the matter have said.

That was all I could get from the WSJ article because I don't subscribe. If anyone does, or has more info please share. This could be interesting.

matt35mm

I don't think there's a Hulu thread and I didn't want to start one because I don't expect that we'll ever have any significant discussion about it. But, I wanted to share this deal. It's probably for U.S.A. only.

Free Hulu Plus for 3 months, if you've never signed up for Hulu Plus before:

http://www.hulu.com/plus/lg_offer

CODE: UIMZURU37X3U

They've got all the Criterions. I just did it and it's legit.

UPDATE: Code expired.

Ghostboy

matt35mm

I think the code expired today, sorry! I didn't know when it would.

Tictacbk

This is the first year in probably over 10 years that I didn't get any DVDs for christmas.  Netflix has won.