stand-up comics

Started by chinaski40, October 06, 2003, 04:19:57 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 03, 2006, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: ©brad on February 03, 2006, 04:09:25 PM
what about dane cook? he's hysterical and very hot at the moment.

also, george carlin is still alive.

Dane Cook is a theiving hack... he was funny for five minutes and now just floats on bullshit and frat-guys...

I used to think he was hilarious a few years ago, but I watched some of his stuff again recently and his jumping around and yelling got on my nerves.  He actually has some good material here and there, but a lot of it is hackery.  Lines at the DMV are long?  Public restrooms are wet?  Thanks for the revelation. 

It would have been better if he had just stuck to his teleportation joke (which I think is actually funny) instead of talking about the DMV beforehand.

"In the year 3000, everything will be instant. But the DMV will still take like 9 fuckin seconds. 9 SECONDS? COME ON!!! I GOTTA BE AT WORK IN 3 SECONDS!!!"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Dane Cook certainly does overdo it at times... He has excellent delivery once the joked is received, and then continues with it to make it a bit trying on the nerves... He is quite hilarious in small doses.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

JG

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I can't find his stuff anywhere, but Ben Bailey has some of the best delivery ever.

Garam

Seven minute video of Dylan Moran here. You may know him as David in Shaun of the Dead or Bernard Black in Black Books. He was also in that pretty shitty film with Michael Caine, and he popped up in Cock and Bull story, briefly.

Enjoy.

RegularKarate

Quote from: JimmyGator on February 26, 2006, 06:15:26 PM
So this Demeti Martin guy has something about him....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lt63CwjOr9A&search=demetri%20martin

I saw Demetri a year or so ago here in Austin and he was awesome. 

Louis CK will hopefully start getting some proper recognition soon with his HBO series.  He's damn hilarious.  If you've never seen him, check out his website (or Itunes) for his video podcast.

Gamblour.

Demetri Martin sucks. His Daily Show stuff is 2 parts Wes Anderson and 5 parts not funny. His stand up is part Stephen Lynch/Zach Galfaanfaifgas and 80% Mitch Hedberg one liners. He sucks.

Brian Regan, however, has been my favorite comic for quite some time. He has this perpetual goofiness that is just catching, and he's self-depreciating. However, on his dvd, he actually lets some real emotion show with a bit about "me-monsters." Truly hysterical, the man is Steve Martin times ten, at times.
WWPTAD?

pete

I don't think demetri's style is that innovative, but he's got a charm and his jokes are funny.  maybe it'll wear off over time but right now I still enjoy his jokes.  He's got escalator and fruit jokes and and "something is lot like something else" jokes that are pure mitch hedberg, but he's got a good voice and good delivery, there is just something serious in his voice that makes things a little bit funnier.
Brian Regan though, I've always loved--aside from a few months in 2004 when he tried to be political, his material is just soooo solid.  I mean, the thought of a guy walking into a spider web is funny enough, but just how he acts it out too!  And his entire half hour routine on eating and fitness and middle America.  He's really clean and accessible to the Middle America, yet he also makes fun of them like crazy.  What a good combo.
still, if you wanna see real emotions, watch Chappelle in a club or something.  That guy is great.  He's truly subversive.  He is the one comedian I see who does comedy to empower people.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Pete's right... he's not the most innovative comic out there, but his delivery is great and he's pretty witty (he used to palindrome material)
Regan can be funny, but how can you get upset that someone has the same style as three whole other comics when you go on to worship someone as generic as him?
Martin atleast has a comic philosophy that involves ideas other than making funny voices and acting "goofy".

Gamblour, I can only assume you've just seen a minute or two of his act as well because the "Zach G. type stuff is a very small part of it".

On a seperate note, Eugene Mirman will be joining the Comedians of Comedy tour in a couple weeks... unfortunately, Zach and Maria won't.  I'm still psyched to see them.

pete

dude, watch it with the regan bashing.  he's way more than just a goofy face.  his humor is more visceral and not as esoteric as the comedians who are hip with the kids, but he has a lot of charm and his humor is completely good-natured and honest.  it's not so much based on some kinda cleverness--though he's got good observations and can hold his own with that type of humor, a lot of it is just good nature and good presence.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Demetri Martin's style is like Steven Wright's or Mitch Hedberg's or other great deadpan comics.  But his material is unique, and his word play and his jokes with strange concepts ("leather sleeves") is witty.

Brian Regan's funny, though he does do the "what's the deal with" kind of humor that has been around for a while.  He's a solid comic who can make me laugh.  As far as accessible yet creative comedians go, he's no Jim Gaffigan.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on February 28, 2006, 12:09:14 AM
Quote from: RegularKarate on February 27, 2006, 10:58:55 PM
Gamblour, I can only assume you've just seen a minute or two of his act

Quote from: JimmyGator on February 26, 2006, 06:15:26 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lt63CwjOr9A&search=demetri%20martin

Don't try to deny it, Gamblour.   :nono:

No  :oops: here, I have only seen a bit of his act, but I got a horrible impression of him from the Daily Show, where he sucked it up with an unfunny thing about Xbox.

Regan, I'm glad pete agrees, I remember realizing slowly after laughing my ass off for hours that he does not curse ever, which is truly remarkable in a world of lowest common denominator comedians. Regan's stuff, even if you consider it generic, is always fucking hysterical and solid. the generic nature of his material is not shown to be mundane, but actually rather absurd. actually, the main thing I love about him is how he makes himself out to be the stupidest human on the planet, which is something about the human condition we can all relate to. he's got no gimmicks, like being funny with a tape recorder, and I think in terms of the craft, he's got to get tons of respect. I'm not trying to blast anyone for not liking him, or trying to blast demetri in the process. anyhow, i don't care if he's not some subversive guy, he makes me laugh my ass off.
WWPTAD?