stand-up comics

Started by chinaski40, October 06, 2003, 04:19:57 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Bob Saget's best work was directing Dirty Work.

That top 25 list really looks like they just decided to put anyone on it.  "yeah, I laughed at him before, put him on the list!"
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

If you watch the aired and uncut versions of Mitch Hedberg's Comedy Central special on his DVD, you can see how the editing makes the show tighter.  In the uncut version, some of his jokes aren't that funny and some funny ones go over the heads of the audience, and he sometimes jokes about some jokes not being funny.  The aired version mostly uses the actual laughter, but it sounded like they sweetened the laugh track in at least one place.

I wouldn't put Chris Rock at number one, nor would I put Aaron MacGruder (11) on the list at all.  The Boondocks has been only so-so for a while now.

meatwad

that is actually a pretty good list for EW. I'm was surpriesd to see they included Amy & David Sedaris, which is great. Sarah Silverman also should have been higher on that list.

And by egotrip, do they mean the guys who used to run the hip hop magazine and now do those books, like Ego Trip's Book of Hip Hop Lists?

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin1.) Chris Rock
2.) Jon Stewart & The 'Daily Show' Team
3.) Will Ferrell
4.) Larry David
5.) David Chappelle
6.) Ellen DeGeneres
7.) Bill Murray
8.) Amy & David Sedaris
9.) Robert Smigel
10.) Jim Carrey
11.) David Letterman
12.) Aaron McGruder
13.) Jack Black
14.) Wanda Sykes
15.) Augusten Burroughs
16.) Scot Armstrong
17.) Conan O'Brien
18.) Ben Stiller & Owen Wilson
19.) Bernie Mac
20.) Maya Rudolph
21.) Demetri Martin
22.) Catherine O'Hara
23.) ego trip
24.) Sarah Silverman
25.) Dave Attell
SLOMB HOW VALID IS THIS LIST?
under the paving stones.

godardian

There seems to be good reason to have included almost everyone on the EW list, but no Margaret Cho? I've been to lots of stand-up comedy performances, and have never heard an audience laugh the way she makes them laugh. Maybe Chris Rock... not many others.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

kotte

Adam Ferrara - Awesome
Gabriel Iglesias
Bill Burr
Brian Regan
Jim Carrey
Jerry Seinfelt
Robin Williams

Myxo

After all these years, I finally got to see Dennis Leary's "No Cure for Cancer" on DVD. It was a favorite of mine growing up but I'd only heard the CD until now.

"Shut the fuck up by Dr. Dennis Leary!"

Ravi

Last night I saw Richard Lewis at the Improv.  Hilarious, of course, though the set was quite short.  He's 58 years old but still sharp.  He mentioned that season 5 of Curb has a lot of stuff with him in it, and that it is quite dark.  He took about 5 minutes to come out after the host announced him. The "m" in "Improv" kept coming unstuck from the wall, and he kept pressing it back down, which was pretty funny.  And he had trouble with his tape recorder.

A month or two before, I saw a guy named Joey Diaz.  He was in the remake of The Longest Yard.  I think his entire act was about sex, mostly oral.  It got old quick, though we were sitting right in front of the stage, so we had to pretend to enjoy it, which was bizarre.

socketlevel

i just watched the bill hicks dvd and it blew me away like it did when i first saw his london performance.  wish he was still around...

he's the greatest ever.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Why is it that comedians are always so fucked up? I mean, they tell jokes, but they are always the most mentally unstable and hateful people on the planet. They have self destructive behaviour and it's out of control.

Even people who want to get into comedy and haven't nor probably will ever make it are fucked up and awful mental case human beings.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

Stand-up comedy is usually born out of personal pains and awkward experiences, which is probably why it is the domain of people with a lot of problems.

72teeth

Quote from: RaviStand-up comedy is usually born out of personal pains and awkward experiences, which is probably why it is the domain of people with a lot of problems.

yup, humor is most definitly a defense mechanism.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

socketlevel

Quote from: StefenWhy is it that comedians are always so fucked up? I mean, they tell jokes, but they are always the most mentally unstable and hateful people on the planet. They have self destructive behaviour and it's out of control.

Even people who want to get into comedy and haven't nor probably will ever make it are fucked up and awful mental case human beings.

that's because normal is mediocrity and art immitates life.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Kal

I went to see Dave Attel last night at the Improv... funny as hell... he was wasted too and made fun of everyone in the audience... it was great.

"Jessica Simpson is single again... isnt that something? We all want some of that... everyone has a Jessica Simpson fantasy. You wanna hear mine? Ok... Jessica baby... please hold your sister Ashley while I kick her on the throat!"

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on March 14, 2004, 09:15:21 AM
Quote from: MacGuffin1.) Chris Rock
2.) Jon Stewart & The 'Daily Show' Team
3.) Will Ferrell
4.) Larry David
5.) David Chappelle
6.) Ellen DeGeneres
7.) Bill Murray
8.) Amy & David Sedaris
9.) Robert Smigel
10.) Jim Carrey
11.) David Letterman
12.) Aaron McGruder
13.) Jack Black
14.) Wanda Sykes
15.) Augusten Burroughs
16.) Scot Armstrong
17.) Conan O'Brien
18.) Ben Stiller & Owen Wilson
19.) Bernie Mac
20.) Maya Rudolph
21.) Demetri Martin
22.) Catherine O'Hara
23.) ego trip
24.) Sarah Silverman
25.) Dave Attell
SLOMB HOW VALID IS THIS LIST?

I'm only now looking at that list closely.  I like how Amy and David Sedaris are now one person, and that Augusten Burroughs is apparently a comedian now.  I've read two of his books and there's humorous stuff in there, but I wouldn't call him a humor writer or comedian.

Will Ferrell above Larry David?  NO!