stand-up comics

Started by chinaski40, October 06, 2003, 04:19:57 AM

Jeremy Blackman

If you like observational comedy, check out Demetri Martin's newish stand-up special, on Netflix:

http://www.netflix.com/title/80044804

Not every joke is great, but there are tons of 'em, and at least 60-70% are brilliant.

Robyn

i'm a stand-up newbie who don't usually laugh at stand-up and i'm sure everyone here has seen this, but this has made me cry of laughter more then once:

deserves to be posted over and over and over again.

Reel

Norm's one of the greatest there is. He could be in my top 5 standups, I've never made a list. Make sure to check out his new Netflix special if you have access, and his video podcast is back to putting out regular episodes too, this week is Sarah Silverman: Norm Macdonald Live

Sleepless

Not sure how well he travels outside of Britain, but my love for Peter Kay just increases as time goes by. Here's one of his best sets from the early 2000's:

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

I'm usually pretty good with UK accents, but holy crap, I'm only picking up maybe 60% of what he's saying.

I was certain I had talked about my love of Bo Burnham's standup on here, but apparently not. I love Bo Burnham's standup. His three Netflix specials all would land spots in my top 5 favorite comedy sets. He started out as a teenager doing goofy musical comedy on Youtube, but he's since expanded and honed his craft to the point that he's doing standup comedy in what feels like a whole new way. There are elements of others you can pick out: Eugene Mirman's surreal absurdities, Demetri Martin's non sequiturs, Zach Galifianakis' "always in character" awkwardness. But there's such a virtuosity to the way he constructs a routine, the way he builds themes and motifs out of seemingly disconnected bits, that gives the sense he understands comedy at a philosophical, intellectual level that nobody else out there does right now. Even with all that effusive praise, I feel like I'm still underselling him, I love his comedy so much.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Quote from: Reelist on August 15, 2017, 11:48:12 AM
Norm's one of the greatest there is. He could be in my top 5 standups, I've never made a list. Make sure to check out his new Netflix special if you have access, and his video podcast is back to putting out regular episodes too, this week is Sarah Silverman: Norm Macdonald Live

His delivery is so good. He makes everything funny. I watched a compilation of the video podcast. The joke in the beginning of this killed me:

wilder

Starts at 1 min 40 seconds.

The video embed looks broken but when I click 'play' it works? Link, if it doesn't:

Robyn

Quote from: polkablues on August 15, 2017, 02:40:34 PM
I'm usually pretty good with UK accents, but holy crap, I'm only picking up maybe 60% of what he's saying.

I was certain I had talked about my love of Bo Burnham's standup on here, but apparently not. I love Bo Burnham's standup. His three Netflix specials all would land spots in my top 5 favorite comedy sets. He started out as a teenager doing goofy musical comedy on Youtube, but he's since expanded and honed his craft to the point that he's doing standup comedy in what feels like a whole new way. There are elements of others you can pick out: Eugene Mirman's surreal absurdities, Demetri Martin's non sequiturs, Zach Galifianakis' "always in character" awkwardness. But there's such a virtuosity to the way he constructs a routine, the way he builds themes and motifs out of seemingly disconnected bits, that gives the sense he understands comedy at a philosophical, intellectual level that nobody else out there does right now. Even with all that effusive praise, I feel like I'm still underselling him, I love his comedy so much.

Bo Burnham is so good. I had some problems with him in the beginning but now i'm loving everything. I'm not sure if he's getting better or if i'm getting less pretentious.

polkablues

That Gary Gulman routine is fantastic, but seeing it reminded me of when I first saw him on Last Comic Standing a few years ago, which made me look it up and realize that was actually THIRTEEN YEARS ago, which made me realize time is cruel and the specter of death looms ever closer behind me with each passing day, so overall I give it like a B+.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

So, I host an all-format open mic every Monday night and I meet tons of terrible artists and a few great ones. Here is a comedian that, to me, is one of the best I've seen in a long time. His name is Andrew Frank and he recently moved to Chicago. Keep an eye out for him coming to a town near you and being the next big comedian.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Jeremy Blackman

Alright you know what I have to post this too. A tour de force. Apparently I need to watch "Make Happy"...

Jeremy Blackman

"Best" would be a stretch, but pretty good:

Alethia

wilder

I'm here and I'm about to bail.