how do you organize your dvds?

Started by nix, September 18, 2003, 11:38:11 PM

nix

This topic has probably been discussed before, but I haven't come across it and am just curious how everyone else does it. I have several friends who do it several different ways (and all think their way is best, of course). Some go by the studio that released it, some simply go alphabetical by movie title, but I can't stand looking at, say, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and PDL all spread apart. My method is alphabetical by director, and within that, chronologial. For instance, Kurosawa in the Ks... Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Ran, etc.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

SoNowThen

mine's close to yours: first by directors I have 2+ movies of, and the order is determined by how much I like them. Within that, it's chronological. Then after that I have random movies by country, chronological. Then there's a music section and an animation section. And I've started a comedy section simply because I ran out of room on my main shelf.

So you can see how this all leads to a lot of reorganizing.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Find Your Magali

My DVDs are organized only slightly better than my life, which is to say, somewhat haphazardly.

I have the following groupings, in no particular order:

1. Documentaries
2. Anime/fantasy/children's all together in lump in one section
3. Favorite directors (PTA, Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Soderbergh, Crowe)
4. Guilty pleasures
5. Absolute favorite films of the past 15-20 years that don't fit neatly in an above category
6. A large chronological grouping of great films that didn't already go elsewhere
7. Python & related
8. TV
9. Horror
10. Miscellaneous/unsorted (too large an area for my liking)

Ugggh, I'm really not sorted well at all. Maybe it's time for a revamping.

I think the next subset I'm going to break into its own section is Westerns. Or maybe foreign films.

ono

Alphabetical left to right.  The only director who I have enough films to clump together would be PTA, so I don't mind that they're separate on the shelf.  It kinda balances things out.  Though it is kind of funny seeing Boogie Nights next to Blood Simple, Punch-Drunk Love next to Pulp Fiction, Magnolia next to Monsters, Inc., and Hard Eight sandwiched between Fight Club and HeartBreakers.

cine

Ghostboy

I do it by director, with each film in alphabetical order. And if someone screws with that, I get pissed. Except that now all my shelf space is taken up, and I've taken to sort of cramming new DVDs in wherever I can fit them. I need a new shelf.

Also, a lot of my friends buy used DVDs at various stores that sell them in plain white rental cases. I cannot handle this -- I have to have the DVDs in their appropriate cases. This is also why I have to buy music, rather than download it -- I want the CD case and the insert and the whole package. I'm obsessive about that kinda thing.

nix

Cinephile,

I tried that once, and just got pissed seeing films by the same director spread apart. So then I tried listing them (get this) chronologicly by the director's date of birth! I'm a fucking geek!

That turned out to be too much work (every time you by a dvd from a new director, you have to look up his fucking birthday), I decided that even I'm not that devoted.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

cine

Quote from: GhostboyI'm obsessive about that kinda thing.

Speaking of which, I'm obsessive with spending shit loads of cash on DVDs each year. Yeah, its depressing and fulfilling at the same time.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Banky

Quote from: Onomatopoeiabetween Fight Club and HeartBreakers.

haha you have heartbreakers.  I have that movie to and people always give me flack for it.  I think its pretty entertaing and it JLH most provocative performance to date.  So fuck everyone else.

SoNowThen

I really enjoyed it until it kept dragging out the ending three or four times. But Liotta is class. Especially when he's carrying Sigorney down that super-long hallway.... I was pissing myself.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatwad

i have mine by criterion, then random. But the few i have with those shitty latch cases, i have together.

modage

alphabetical.  numbers at the beginning, boxsets at the end.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatwad

love your avatar. Bill and Ted rock

edison

Criterion by number first, then the rest are set in no particular order. I used to be really picky and keep them in order of when i bought them but i tossed out that a while back ago.