Masculin Feminin (UK R2)
Pickpocket (UK R2)
The Battle Of Algiers (Criterion)
Undertow
The Sword Of Doom (Criterion)
Burden Of Dreams (Criterion)
Limelight
The Great Dictator
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

Quote from: SoNowThen on November 23, 2005, 04:18:55 AM
Pickpocket (UK R2)
The Great Dictator

my goodness, why?

SoNowThen

Pickpocket Criterion is on the way.
Burden of Dreams was all boring natives and no Kinski/Herzog battles.
GD is actually a huge piece of shit that Chaplin mind-melded people into liking.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThen on November 24, 2005, 07:46:23 AM
GD is actually a huge piece of shit that Chaplin mind-melded people into liking.
i wouldn't say a huge piece of shit..
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Yeah, fair enough. It's just that the funny parts aren't that funny, cos, well, dictators and ghettos aren't generally funny... and the serious stuff doesn't work cos it looks so fake. Just a nice idea that misfired in a major way...

hedwig

x

Bethie

none of us want to buy dvds you stole from netflix.
who likes movies anyway

hedwig

haha, seriously though, these are legitimate dvds for sale, anyone interested PM ME

GoneSavage

GONE

SoNowThen

These R1 titles still available:

Sin City (first version, Canadian dvd)
Dominion: Exorcist Prequel
Return Of The King Extended Edition
The Battle Of Algiers (Criterion)
Undertow
The Sword Of Doom (Criterion)
Limelight
The Great Dictator

must slim collection... no trades, take deepdiscount price and minus some off it, but just a little bit, because I still have to ship from UK... unless you are in UK, which would make things a whole lot easier...

Raikus

Quote from: GoneSavage on February 07, 2006, 01:15:33 PMI Am Trying to Break Your Heart - A Film About Wilco.
My God, why?

I just picked it up otherwise I'd get it from you in a heartbeat.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

GoneSavage

Raikus

That's the right answer.

I saw them tonight for the first time in concert. Just brilliant. It's refreshing to see a band live up to their quality on stage. It doesn't happen much.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

GoneSavage

Good to hear they are still a great live band.  Haven't seen them in forever.  Love the doc, too, I just got it as an unreturnable gift.

cine

i'm getting the brooks box set so maybe we can work something out..