New DVDs???

Started by Keener, September 10, 2003, 07:33:57 PM

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on February 01, 2006, 12:43:33 AM
Quote from: Ravi on February 01, 2006, 12:27:28 AM
I wonder if The Shining and EWS will be widescreen or open matte.
i thought them + FMJ were already as good a quality as they can be.

Its not about quality, but about aspect ratio.  I hate to open up this debate again, but I remember thinking when I watched the DVDs that they needed to be cropped to at least 1.66:1, if not 1.85:1.  Kubrick of all people would know that he couldn't compose for 1.37:1 without it being cropped.  I don't know about in the 80s, but mainstream theaters in the US have projected 1.85:1, at the narrowest, for a while.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on February 23, 2006, 12:32:39 AM
Kubrick of all people would know that he couldn't compose for 1.37:1 without it being cropped.
here we go again..

he DID know that. open matte means that on tv you get a large section of worthless image at the top to fill the FULL SCREEN. the extra bit was filmed to be cropped for cinema. this way the home viewer pays the dubious price of having extra image space at the top of their frame. yes i agree open matte often looks huge and in need of cropping, full metal jacket especially, look at all the headroom in many shots.. no one needs that much headroom.

if anything new is going to be offered in future releases, it should be the option to crop them for widescreen tvs as they were seen in cinemas.
under the paving stones.

modage

especially as widescreen tvs become more common. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

killafilm

Which would be the preferred aspect ratio 1.66(Europe) or 1.85(America)? (at least for Full Metal Jacket)

and if it's to be 'enhanced' for 16X9 would that fall to the Kubrick estate to oversee?

Ravi

Quote from: killafilm on February 23, 2006, 09:01:57 PM
and if it's to be 'enhanced' for 16X9 would that fall to the Kubrick estate to oversee?

If it is presented in widescreen in the first place.  Warner hasn't presented any 1.66:1 titles enhanced for 16x9 in the past, though they should.  This would involve slight black bars on the sides of the screen.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Digital BitsOne quick note today... we've gotten our hands on Warner's HD-DVD version of Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. The film IS presented in widescreen (we believe at 1.78:1 aspect ratio, but we'll look more closely and confirm that this weekend). Just FYI.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

i've read some of the fmj hd dvd reviews at various dvd sites and they're not quite positive. unfortunately there are no caps available because there isn't any hd dvd-rom players available, are there? but the reviews are as disappointing as the first kubrick dvd set. but the reviews are positive due to the fact that it is in anamorphic widescreen. but many reviews complain of the grainy quality in the movie. hmm, i smell a double dipping coming soon... :(

Ravi

Quote from: mogwai on June 25, 2006, 02:58:55 PM
many reviews complain of the grainy quality in the movie.

Isn't it supposed to be grainy?  I don't want every film to be digital-noise-reduced to death because some people can't handle some grain.

mogwai

i don't remember if the 2nd edition is grainy. but i'm guessing the grain is because the image was cropped to 1.85:1. i'm guessing here. i hope some caps from hd dvd edition surfaces.

Ravi

Quote from: mogwai on June 26, 2006, 01:57:33 AM
i don't remember if the 2nd edition is grainy. but i'm guessing the grain is because the image was cropped to 1.85:1.

That's possible, though I don't think it would cause a huge jump in grain.  Most, if not all, 1.85:1 films are cropped from 1.37:1.  The culprit is probably the higher resolution of HD.  So expect news anchors to be slathered in make-up (or lenses slathered in Vaseline) in the future.

Reinhold

Quote from: Ravi on June 26, 2006, 11:21:57 AM
Quote from: mogwai on June 26, 2006, 01:57:33 AM
i don't remember if the 2nd edition is grainy. but i'm guessing the grain is because the image was cropped to 1.85:1.

That's possible, though I don't think it would cause a huge jump in grain.  Most, if not all, 1.85:1 films are cropped from 1.37:1.  The culprit is probably the higher resolution of HD.  So expect news anchors to be slathered in make-up (or lenses slathered in Vaseline) in the future.

what's wrong with grain if it's from the film? kubrick incorporated film grain into his artistic choices. why would you try to get rid of it? i think of HD transfers as an opportunity make the digital image as similar to the film image as possible.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Chest Rockwell

Any more word on these? Release dates, features, transfers, etc.?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on October 07, 2006, 09:24:37 PM
Any more word on these? Release dates, features, transfers, etc.?

From The Digital Bits:

By the way, a lot of you have been asking what's up with Warner's promised Stanley Kubrick special editions - the ones that we talked about back in January when we attended the studio's 2006 catalog DVD event. I've checked in with Warner reps and have learned that they're definitely still on the way. They're being completely remastered and will have all-new special features. They're now planned for release sometime in 2007... but most of you probably already guessed that. Just know that they're still coming and they should be pretty cool. We'll say more when there's more to say.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

...and my bank account will cry in agony.

The Perineum Falcon

and i'll need to take out another loan. :(
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.