Top 10 UNDERRATED movies EVER!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, September 03, 2003, 02:56:39 AM

GodDamnImDaMan

Okay now i know this is phucking lame, but i believe some of these DVD's deserve some sort of recognition, now keep in mind these are my TOP ten underrated DVD's.

10. Galaxy Quest - What the fuck can i say? I WANTED to hate this movie, i really did....but it was phucking AWESOME!!! Everytime i watch it, it just keeps getting better.

9. Bill & Teds: Bogus Journey - Before i go to sleep, all i have to do is think of Death getting "Melvined" and i giggle like a little school girl.

8. Phonebooth: What the hell did anyone NOT like about this film again? I was pretty shocked that i enjoyed it after all the media bashing that went on over it...

More to come, im phucking sleepy......add more to the list!!! Ya fuckos!
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

mindfuck

Three Kings: I felt like this never quite got the recognition it deserved.

Swingers: Classic movie to watch after a breakup. "You're so fucking money."

The Sting: One of my favorite Redford/Newman movies. Great story and gets a bonus since I got laid on a second date once while watching it with the girl.

Half Baked: Best comedy about weed ever.

Raikus

Wet Hot American Summer - Yeah, we know about it, but ask anyone on the street and you'll get a blank stare.
KITH: Brain Candy - Ebert hated it, but so what. One of my favorite comedies ever.
Dark City - better than the Matrix with an eight of the recognition. Beautifully shot, great acting, and above all a sci-fi movie without overly cheesy special effects. They do exist Virginia.
Four Rooms - as discussed on the board, many don't like it, but I think Roth just makes this one into a gem.
Gross Point Blank - If you've seen it you know why.
A Life Less Ordinary - I love this movie.
Quills - An excellent film that got nearly no recognition.
Human Nature - usually people's least favorites of Kaufman's films, but it has so many brilliant parts even if it's somewhat uneven as a film.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaikusDark City - better than the Matrix with an eight of the recognition. Beautifully shot, great acting, and above all a sci-fi movie without overly cheesy special effects. They do exist Virginia.

I don't get it. Just because they are both 'dark' sci-fi films? On the grander scale, Matrix has it's roots in action; Dark City in film noir. It's like comparing Die Hard with Blood Simple.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

gone with the wind
casablanca
citizen kane
the godfather
under the paving stones.

Raikus

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: RaikusDark City - better than the Matrix with an eight of the recognition. Beautifully shot, great acting, and above all a sci-fi movie without overly cheesy special effects. They do exist Virginia.

I don't get it. Just because they are both 'dark' sci-fi films? On the grander scale, Matrix has it's roots in action; Dark City in film noir. It's like comparing Die Hard with Blood Simple.
The ideas are from the same well. I don't hold to the theory Matrix ripped off Dark City by any means (most of us know the Matrix script has been around since '94), but they are definitely similiar movies--the same archetypal ideas. One's just a murder drama while the others an action movie.

-Both deal with a "savior" figure to rid the world of the non-human intruders who now enslave the humans.
-Both center around the "do it for love" theme.
-Both deal with the "savior" figure using the enemies powers against them.

I don't think Die Hard and Blood Simple have those type of similarities.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

markums2k

I totally agree that Dark City is wayyyyy underrated.  I didn't think it was that original though.  It reminded me a lot of Akira.

Quote from: Pgone with the wind
casablanca
citizen kane
the godfather

Are you being serious?  :?

I think Swimming with Sharks is underrated.  Spacey really surprised me.  I'll take that over American Beauty any day.  The DVD isn't so great, but I think this thread lost focus of that long before this post.

Find Your Magali

Notorious: What's the best Hitchcock film? Most folks say Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, Rear Window or North by Northwest. But for me, "Notorious" is a very strong No. 2 by Hitchcock, behind only Vertigo (which I have in my all-time top five). It's got Bergman, Grant, Rains, Nazis, romance. What more could you want? And it's a gem of a DVD.

Thirteen Days: A movie has to do an awful lot of good things to overcome a mediocre Boston accent by Kevin Costner. This one does. Bruce Greenwood and Steven Culp are brilliant as the Kennedy brothers. The tension throughout this one proves that real life is much more dramatic than any plot that Tom Clancy would ever come up with. And another stellar DVD.

Chicken Run: Pixar is (deservedly so) atop the animation world these days. But few seem to mention this recent flick when asked about their favorites in the genre. It's absolutely stuffed when movie history in-jokes and makes you care about chickens. It blows "Shrek" out of the water, IMHO, and holds its own with the Toy Story movies. Again, a great DVD.

Heavy: I think James Mangold's debut remains his best film. Pruitt Taylor Vince is fantastic as a quiet fat guy circling around the orbits of Shelly Winters, Blondie and Liv Tyler. The DVD ain't much, but you're missing out if you don't find a way to see this film.

edison

SHAFTR

Quote from: Raikus

The ideas are from the same well. I don't hold to the theory Matrix ripped off Dark City by any means (most of us know the Matrix script has been around since '94), but they are definitely similiar movies--the same archetypal ideas. One's just a murder drama while the others an action movie.

-Both deal with a "savior" figure to rid the world of the non-human intruders who now enslave the humans.

Interestingly enough, Dark City is supposedly has the shortest Average Shot Length for a narrative.  It is around 1.6 or so seconds...I might be wrong on that figure.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

edison

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: Raikus

Interestingly enough, Dark City is supposedly has the shortest Average Shot Length for a narrative.  It is around 1.6 or so seconds...I might be wrong on that figure.

Thats funny because i would think that every Michael Bay film would be in a tie for the shortest average shot length.

jasper_window

The Last Time I Committed Suicide
Things to do in Denver When You're Dead
Cop
The Man in the Moon (not to be confused with the Andy Kaufman film, which is also great)
Boiler Room (where the fuck is Ben Younger these days)
I Love You to Death
The Commitments
Grand Canyon (that film holds up strong)
Mumford ( I guess I have an affinity for Kasdan, speaking of which -
The Zero Effect (his son directed this)

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: EEz28Gattaca

good . call on that one..

And would like to add:

1.) Copland
2.)  In the Name of My Father(where's the SOLID dvd)
3.)  below
4.)  Bringing out the Dead
5.)  Meet Joe Black( i didn't find this that bad at all)
6.)  you can count on me
7.)  sleepers
8.)  Con-Air
9.)  The Truman Show
10.)  The Basketball Diaries.....

Pubrick

HULK
minority report, AI
the frighteners.

i'm serious this time.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: PHULK

:yabbse-thumbup:

And I have the same fear for 28 Days Later.