disturbing films

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 16, 2003, 11:39:56 PM

NEON MERCURY

...just curious as to what films that are deemed contraversial ..and disturbing..have artistic merit to them or are they ......trash...what are some of themand your opinion about them....

1.)...kids=trash
2.)a clockwork orange.=art
3..)requiem for a dream=art
4.).gummo=trash

Sleuth

I thought the same exact thing about Kids for a while

I was just being dumb though.  I still don't like the movie but I don't think it's trash anymore
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

..yeah.. i  should use a diferent word ..but i don't mean its trash literally but ..its not a good film IMO and ..the contraversial aspects are gratuitious and serve no point....that what i mean by trash

Sleuth

but that sort of is the point

it's supposed to be shocking like that, perhaps sickening (disturbing, anyone?  anyone?)
I like to hug dogs

Alethia

pink flamingos?  never really liked it and was particularly grossed out by all of it.

NEON MERCURY

..well i see that ..but look at clockwork or requiem they are both .shocking  and it pays of in the end for these films...but w/kids its just like the director(clark..right?)..just thinks or something  shocking or wild..and films it w/out it serving a point...it does nothing to further the art of making a controversial film..and gives directors that are risque..a bad name IMO

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ewardpink flamingos?  never really liked it and was particularly grossed out by all of it.

i have heard of it but never have seen it .what are scenes in it that make it disturbing, contraversial, ..etc.??

Alethia

a really large transvestite named DIVINE eats dogshit, for one example........

filmcritic

That's John Walters for ya!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Alethia

i dont dislike john waters (not WALTERS), it's just that his movies general IDEAS tend to be funnier or better than the actual movie itself.  the exceptions being: cry-baby, hairspray, serial mom, and possibly cecil b. demented (maybe).......

cine

Disturbing? Um.. The Cell could've been perceived as that.. Straw Dogs... Santa Sangre... okay, basically any Jodorowsky film.. Glitter.. Cube.. etc.
As for controversial... Irreversible is definitely the most talked about controversial film of recent memory that I know of.. and, naturally, I could see why... but nevertheless - it was a form of art.
I remember American Psycho as being hailed as controversial... Oh, and Howard the Duck was seen as controversial. For sucking so much.

Cecil

Ravi

Salo?  Cannibal Holocaust?  I've seen neither, but the descriptions of them are grotesque.  Some people consider Salo art and some think it is worthless.  CH was banned for a while, wasn't it?

modage

not to beat a dead horse, or give any extra press but

1.) irreversible=hated it
2.) gummo=hated it
3.) happiness (no comment)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I FUCKING HATED GUMMO, WHAT A WASTE OF TIME
I like to hug dogs