disturbing films

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 16, 2003, 11:39:56 PM

ASmith

I found Gerry to be one of the most disturbing films I've seen in a while. 

**SPOILERS henceforth**
There's no zombie blood being spilled, but you get that same sick feeling in your stomach as if there was.  As the character's situation worsens, and as they dig themselves into a deeper hole, you're left with little to do (intentionally) but ponder their situation and repeatedly ask yourself, "what the fuck are they doing?  What the fuck are they gonna do?"

It's been a few months since I've seen the film, but whenever I see any type of barren landscape, be it a large, empty city park or a photo of the desert, that sinking feeling returns.

Reel

Quote from: RegularKarate on August 23, 2003, 07:27:29 PM
Just saw "I Stand Alone"

Me too. I was in the mood for a real FTW movie, or so I thought. For about the first 20 minutes I found myself laughing a lot at what he was saying in the voiceover. How he just fucking berates his wife and her Mom, it seemed harmless because it was just going on inside his head. Then at about the 30 minute mark shit gets real and it's hard to find anything redeeming about this guy. At first I was kind of charmed by it, I hadn't been entertained by a movie about a lonely old guy since 'About Schmidt', but once you see what this guys capable of, you can't relate to his worldview because you know he's not just joking and really is hellbent on causing pain to anybody who crosses him. The worst part about it is in the end, it's not strangers that he does the most harm to, but his own family.

Reel

The 5 most disturbing Documentaries I've ever seen, in no particular order, are:

1.Jonestown: The Life and Death of the People's Temple
2.Capturing The Friedmans
3.Deliver us From Evil
4.Paradise Lost
5.Dear Zachary

I'm open to suggestions. Can't get enough of documentaries lately, especially True crime.

72teeth

..in my top 20 films of all time i think
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Thanks for that, 72. Still haven't seen it in its entirety, but soooo good. Chilling.

Titticut is def. one I've been meaning to get to, but as of yet, it's hard to find.

Last night I watched 'Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, supermasochist'

here's a tip, don't go out of your way to look for the 'most disturbing' or 'most shocking' of anything on the internet. What you find will most definitely meet the quota, and in many cases in ways you'd never imagine.

Pedro

Quote from: Reelist on June 10, 2012, 10:31:22 PM
Titticut is def. one I've been meaning to get to, but as of yet, it's hard to find.

Enjoy!  Or something...

Reel

Paul Dano, Brad Renfro, and Brian Cox in..

mogwai

I found "Shame" to be as disturbing as "Requiem for a dream".

Robyn

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

well that was certainly long.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

...?

Added by Severin Severin
on 25 Aug 2012

Mel

This could be split into two camps (subjective depending on individual):

• Disgusting as was "Men Behind the Sun" for me. I don't wanna to speak about it or see it again. End of story.
  • Unsettling as "Possession" from Zulawski. There is one insignificant scene that left strong impression on me: character played by Sam Neill is meeting with detective for the first time. Swivels spinning in opposite direction in rhythmic manner are just one of many details, that did disturb me.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Mel

"The Devils" is yet another film with reputation that intimidated me unnecessary. This photo is part of the reason - I visualized her eating his intestines in my mind. Film is far from that, I would say that neither violence or nudity are graphical. It is a very beautiful film that stirred controversy only because Christianity is mixed with nudity and violence.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...