Movies you're ashamed to admit you haven't seen yet

Started by BonBon85, January 22, 2003, 05:05:52 PM

Bud_Clay

Quote from: life_boyHis movies won't be the beloved classics that win Academy Awards and make hundreds of millions of dollars at the box-office because he's not that kind of director.  He makes realistic movies that are often gritty and sometimes depressing and that usually offer more questions than answers.

That sounds great! Although i can't say ive felt that to be my experience with a Spike Lee film.  From what I can think of at the moment I've seen "Malcom X" & "Bamboozled"...Now Bamboozled was just a tremendous rip off of "Network". And why would anyone with such availablity to film shoot on mini dv?!...absolutely insane i tell you! I don't get it.    

Quote from: life_boySome times he can go a little too far in some of his assertions but this does not lessen him as a filmmaker, only as a public figure.

Sure, that's a very good point and I agree. Although I don't find myself as being very impressed with his films anyway & his personal attitude just gets on my nerves. That's a good point though.

life_boy

My favorite film by him is probably Jungle Fever.  That's the film that gave me appreciation for Spike Lee.  But ultimately, some people like his films and some people don't (as with anything).

I haven't seen Bamboozled but wonder the same thing about the DV.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Bill MaplewoodNow Bamboozled was just a tremendous rip off of "Network". And why would anyone with such availablity to film shoot on mini dv?!...absolutely insane i tell you! I don't get it.

Spike Lee opens the film with the dictionary definition of 'satire'. It is a satire of the what TV has turned into, and of course, "Network" is the template about the workings of a TV network. As for using DV, think about it, going to the studio with a script about revitalising the menstrel show that puts black people in black face and ask for finances for a film you know will probably not make back any money. And since the budget was only $10 mil, it was a quick way to cut costs and shoot with muliple cameras, and also reinforce the TV aspect.

QuoteBesides that I've heard that Do The Right Thing was simply terrible.

You heard wrong.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Yeah... after finally seeing Do the Right Thing, I have a different impression of Spike Lee.  

Really fantastic film, I don't think he's come close to matching it since (from what I've seen at least)... but he occasionally does make really good films.

I really didn't like Bamboozled and felt he was shooting it on DV just to be "hip" and shoot it like that so he could say he did.

Bud_Clay

Yeah honestly...I'm sure if he really wanted to shoot it on film he could have. Why give in on cutting budget costs by using your most important source to do it? I think a director should always care the most about what they are shooting on & there's no getting around the fact that digital is crap. Even those new digital cameras George Lucas is using that are damned huge and expensive, the picture is too clean and all fake looking. It all just looks too computerized & without depth. I say the same thing about CGI. Although, when a director who knows how to use cgi uses it (such as David Fincher or PTA) then it doesnt look half bad because they grunge up the picture. If a hollywood executive is the one doing the cgi it will look very shiny, very fake, and very stupid. In fact, you dont have to be a big hollywood executive, you can also just be George Lucas & make your entire film on the computer. He should just make episode 3 be a computer game. It will all look the same in the end.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Bill MaplewoodHe should just make episode 3 be a computer game. It will all look the same in the end.

Probably a better plot too. I agree, I hate it when CGI is used just to use CGI. I like sets and things I know are actually there. But CGI can be used very well.

Pas

I'm shocked ! Having not seen any Godard film is somewhat normal (for the casual viewer it would be more abnormal to have seen one) but not having seen all Kubricks', not having seen The Godfather, even more when you own them, that's just wrong.  8) But yet, you all seem to know all kinds of unknown movies/directors I've never heard of. Probably because here in Quebec nothing of the good new stuff gets here before it becomes an "Universal Classic"  :cry:  

The one I'm most ashamed not to have seen is Eraserhead. And all that chinese/japanese stuff (except the Seven Samurai)

sexterossa

Quote from: BoothI'

The one I'm most ashamed not to have seen is Eraserhead.

yeah, but you can't help that. it's impossible to find.

i still haven't seen HOW I LEARNED TO LOVE THE BOMB INSTEAD OF FEARING IT or whatever the title is. you know what i am talking about.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

modage

until today?

GONE WITH THE WIND
METROPOLIS
CITIZEN KANE

now remedied.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarate

I really didn't like Bamboozled and felt he was shooting it on DV just to be "hip" and shoot it like that so he could say he did.

I actually read an interview where he claimed they didn't have money in the budget for film, so they had to go with DV. Said the studio wouldn't give him a larger budget because of the subject matter.

I really liked the idea, but... the execution was a bit off, especially at the end.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: sexterossai still haven't seen HOW I LEARNED TO LOVE THE BOMB INSTEAD OF FEARING IT or whatever the title is. you know what i am talking about.

Oh, you mean "How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love the Bomb"?... It's a pretty good movie... it's on the other side of the Dr. Stragelove disc...

NEON MERCURY

Man... i know i am gona take alot of  heat for this but here goes......(1-5 rating)

:oops: anything mike leigh
:oops:  :oops:eraserhead
 :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  casablanca
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: gone w/ the wind
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: citizen kane

::crawls back under rock::

Pas

Quote from: NEON MERCURYMan... i know i am gona take alot of  heat for this but here goes......(1-5 rating)

:oops: anything mike leigh
:oops:  :oops:eraserhead
 :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  casablanca
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: gone w/ the wind
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: citizen kane

::crawls back under rock::

1 : I don't even know Mike Leigh
2 : Eraserhead is almost unfindable
3 : Casablanca doesn't have a decent DVD yet
4 : Gone is long and overrated if you ask me
5 : Best movie of all time is somewhat an overstatement. Most ahead of it's time, yes, best not quite sure.
6 : You know you're not gonna get any heat

ono

Quote from: Pas Rapport1 : I don't even know Mike Leigh
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Leigh,+Mike

Mostly known for Topsy-Turvy, Secrets & Lies, and Naked.  I've heard Topsy-Turvy was great, and suffered from being released in a year with other amazing films.  A year in which it might have been one of the absolute best of the year had Fight Club, American Beauty, Magnolia and all the other amazing pictures of 1999 not been released at that time.

Quote2 : Eraserhead is almost unfindable
It's on VHS in some places, and you can get it from davidlynch.com

Quote3 : Casablanca doesn't have a decent DVD yet
Yes it does.

Quote4 : Gone is long and overrated if you ask me
Agreed.

Quote5 : Best movie of all time is somewhat an overstatement. Most ahead of it's time, yes, best not quite sure.
The Silver Bullet wrote a great little essay about this, but it pertains more to all "classics."  Kane is good, not great.  Still, a must-see film.

I don't know of any films I'm ashamed of not seeing, really.  All the ones I used to be ashamed of not seeing, now I'm ashamed to HAVE seen them.  Read: Star Wars and LotR, and stuff like that that pervades pop culture and everyone and their brother says it's great, but it really isn't.

t0rgo

<>

Finally the voice of reason. What's with all of the love for Spike Lee? Speaking of hacks! Just check out Get On The Bus and School Daze.
I'm embarrassed by just typing those titles.

Do The Right Thing is way over-rated.

Want a kick-ass movie? Find the very rare, not on DVD yet, James Woods movie called COP. Based on a James Ellroy book, nuff said. :)
"Jesus Christ!"
"No, but I am flattered by the comparison."