the marquee

Started by (kelvin), June 25, 2003, 03:32:33 PM

(kelvin)

I don't see the meaning of the sentence "we don't much care for hitler" (of course we don't). I don't know...that name always disturbs me and I think it's somehow inappropriate for a place like this. Just an opinion.

jokerspath

I like your avatar (is that the word?).  Looks like Giger...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

(kelvin)

jokerspath

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

godardian

I thought maybe the hitler thing was a joke, like that's the one and only thing we might all be able to agree on.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

"Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

(kelvin)

Well, I don't think it's funny. This name shouldn't be used in jokes. But I cannot explain this rationally.

SoNowThen

Mac, that's a pretty damn catchy slogan.... where can I sign up?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenThat's a pretty damn catchy slogan.... where can I sign up?

At the producer's office. Badump-bump.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

I think the hitler thing is pretty funny...anyway, I think jokes about hitler can be funny sometimes...my sense of humor is pretty dark, though...I can see why someone would be offended by the banner, but I don't think that that's the intention.  I think Godardian's right in that that is one statement that we can all agree on...basically the only statement we can all agree on.  

I will now tell a joke but if you don't want to hear a joke about hitler dont read it....
HIGHLIGHT TO READ:
Why didn't Hitler drink?

Because it made him mean.

godardian

I guess I figure that if Ben Stiller and Mel Brooks can treat Hitler lightly, it's probably okay. He deserves no deference. I think it would've made him feel like more of a failure for us to laugh at him than to give his name some sort of wide berth befitting intimidation.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: godardianI guess I figure that if Ben Stiller and Mel Brooks can treat Hitler lightly, it's probably okay. He deserves no deference. I think it would've made him feel like more of a failure for us to laugh at him than to give his name some sort of wide berth befitting intimidation.

Sing it!  :wink:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

MrBurgerKing

Don't be so sensitive, Chris Kelvin.. When Wendys took away the Monteray Ranch Chicken Sandwich, I was upset. No, upset is the wrong word; I was heartbroken. Not only was I shocked, and offended at Mr. Thomas' decision, but I was depressed. I thought maybe I could go and start a picket line in front of Wendys, but I figured it's a waste. They'll probably bring back the Monteray Ranch sandwich one day, and when that day comes, I'll be waiting for it. I really miss that sandwich actually. These days I get the spicy chicken sandwich, which is great, but I really miss the days of that Monteray Ranch chicken sandwich with large peppered french fries, and a sprite. It puts a big smile on my face just thinking about it. The salad dressing on a chicken sandwich is really an innovation. Speaking of chicken sandwiches, does anyone here eat at Chick-Fil-A? They claim to have pioneered the chicken sandwich, but that's just a gimmick. Some farmer probably did it hundreds of years earlier. Still though, you gotta love Chick-Fil-A's french fries. I think their fries are their real innovation. They look like little mini-waffles, and they're so delicious. I don't buy chicken sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A, I usually get chicken nuggets and barbecue sauce (but I make it a habit to get their large fries). I actually haven't been there in months though. It's never been a priority, you know? I know that Chris Kelvin knows what I'm talking about.

modage

i think we ALL do.  the message is universal:  fast food as a metaphor for life.  god bless you mrburgerking, god bless you.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.