comedian

Started by sphinx, May 24, 2003, 01:29:11 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThenI love Orny. I especially like when he has a bad set, and he blames it on the audience. Classic. I think the guy's got a unique attitude. Like when that fucker is telling him to be more like Steven Wright, the whole time I was thinking "just shut the fuck up", then when he leaves, Orny actually puts voice to what I was thinking. We need more funny assholes.

that he is, funny and a asshole

i just wish more comedians would be happy doing what they are doing, its your lifes dream remember that

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesbut i will say this in ornys defense , being in that world could make you crazy

that's true.  i know very little of the structure of standup as seinfeld pointed out to me in the movie

you have to know the rules before you break them, some people forget that

what makes me ill is people my age who watch a few andy kaufman movies stuff like mr show, and they try and go out there and become comics, and well fuck nooooooooo

nothing is as painfull in life as sitting through a BAD improv group that is filled with cocky assholes who think they are awsome but they fucking have no talent what so ever.

i love comedy, and i study it i watch shit that people my age would never even think to look at

i study george wallice, and i study eddie murphy , and old school bill murry, re runs of the david letterman show from the 80's  

i study all kinds of comedy and absorb it all, i love don rickles and rodney dangerfield

but a lot of young comics dont even know who these guys are , they may know rodney but only from his films

one of my fav stand up comics in the 90's was wanda sykes hall, and she has gotten really popular

i dunno i love stand up comedy, i think people who do it and look like they are misrable for it, are just ya know being dumb

children with angels

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesi love comedy, and i study it

Totally serious recomendation: you might like to check out the play 'Comedians' by Trevor Griffiths.

I just always recommend that play to anyone I meet who wants to be a comedian. It's about a group of aspiring stand-ups working on their routines and performing them and it's got a lot to say about comedy - why we need it, why we do it... It's very British, and a bit dated (from the 70's), but it's excellent.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Quote from: children with angels
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesi love comedy, and i study it

Totally serious recomendation: you might like to check out the play 'Comedians' by Trevor Griffiths.

I just always recommend that play to anyone I meet who wants to be a comedian. It's about a group of aspiring stand-ups working on their routines and performing them and it's got a lot to say about comedy - why we need it, why we do it... It's very British, and a bit dated (from the 70's), but it's excellent.

i saw the tv version with David Burke, i like trevor griffiths he also wrote reds with warren beatty

sorry i called you a douch the other day, i was mad  you called me a frat boy . the irony is i am mad because no frat would take me........ the pain the pain

i like to think my comedy is cute and goofy while still being very Cerebral to the point that it is very easy to get the wrong idea, but fuck it because i really only care what people think about my dancing, after all i am the Leader of the Mambo Revolution, tito puente is our Che Guevara

phill marlowe is our Ace hitman , more badass then any green beret

he has been known to kill many a man in the name of mambo

godardian

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones

one of my fav stand up comics in the 90's was wanda sykes hall, and she has gotten really popular

I haven't seen her show, but her standup is brilliantly funny. She and Chris Rock, with their perfect mix of intelligence and irreverence, make most others look one-dimensional at best. From what I've seen, I don't think what they've been offered outside of stand-up has been up to their talents.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones

I haven't seen her show, but her standup is brilliantly funny. She and Chris Rock, with their perfect mix of intelligence and irreverence, make most others look one-dimensional at best. From what I've seen, I don't think what they've been offered outside of stand-up has been up to their talents.

wow a word for word post from you that i agree with, your about as shocked as i am

phil marlowe

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesbut fuck it because i really only care what people think about my dancing, after all i am the Leader of the Mambo Revolution, tito puente is our Che Guevara

mí español es primitivo pero mí creencia es fuerte.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesi like to think my comedy is cute and goofy while still being very Cerebral to the point that it is very easy to get the wrong idea, but fuck it because i really only care what people think about my dancing, after all i am the Leader of the Mambo Revolution, tito puente is our Che Guevara

What's all this about a Mambo Revolution. I'll be willin' to do suicide bombings! Just let me in on the plan!  :(

...And you know what? I can:

phil marlowe

if the mambos kills this thread well then we have an angry angry sphinx.

for now, lets just say, death to the gringos who won't let us dance.

Quote from: Phil Marloweif the mambos kills this thread well then we have an angry angry sphinx.

for now, lets just say, death to the gringos who won't let us dance.

damn dirty gringos

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateI'm bringing this back to life (until it's ignored for the weekend at which point, it will die again).

Okay, I'll bring this back again and steer around to the film again.

Just watched this and I really enjoyed it. It shows the great difficulties in being a comedian, finding/writing new material and how much power the audience has. Like sphinx said, any performer can relate to the pressures of doing great, being "on" and not forgetting and ruining yourself on stage. That stuff was great to watch, but there wasn't enough of it. A lot of scenes were montages. I wanted to hear more conversations with Bill Cosby, Jay Leno and Robert Kline. Those were the interesting bits to watch.

As for Orny, while it was a great idea to see the contrast between an established comedian and a fresh one, Orny was not the guy to watch. His arrogance and whining to have it all NOW just really makes you not want the guy to succeed; instead of seeing the hunger and desire, you see his ego.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

Just watched it. Like it alot. Agree with pretty much everything MacGuffin said.

The thing I like the most is the Seinfeldt - Orny conversation. I love how he says 'yuck' to family-house-dog-volvo. Love it. I can totally relate to what Orny's feeling...buddies getting well-paid jobs etc etc.
My favourite favourite part.

SoNowThen

I like Orny. I like his personality. Often I was more interested in him than in Jerry. I don't understand why a guy has to be 'nice' for people to get on board with him. Orny's hungry, and pissed off, and emotional -- and that makes for good watching. He's not boring, he's always got something to say. Plus, keep in mind he's in his early thirties (or late 20's?), and he's been slumming at this for awhile. If I have to wait until I'm 28 to make a film, I will be bitter and hate everything too... oh wait, I kinda already am... :wink:

Anyway, I love this little movie. I do agree though, I would've liked to see more Cosby. I didn't realize he was so respected by his peers.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

kotte

Love Seinfeldt's beetle.  :)