comedian

Started by sphinx, May 24, 2003, 01:29:11 PM

sphinx

just watched the movie on dvd.  thoroughly enjoyable, i know a lot of people detested it, but i have to say that i'm a fan of jerry seinfeld.  i like the clean menu design, but it gets a bit annoying to watch them fade in and out before they come up to something selectable.

the movie itself was good, i could relate to a lot of the things, even if you're not a comedian, if you've ever gone on stage there's some stuff you'll just eat up in it.  it wasn't trying to be anything more than it was, and i adored the soundtrack.  many critics were put off by the fact that we didn't get to see seinfeld telling as many jokes as we could, but i don't think that's the point of the movie----we already know how funny seinfeld is, and the movie isn't supposed to be some joke writing tutorial, either.  i was devoid of expectations before watching and i thought it was great.

deleted scenes were good, especially the 'dna' one.  it was great to be able to see the letterman appearances in full, 'where is orny now' was enjoyable and sad, i didn't get much out of the jiminy glick interviews, and i'm diving into the commentaries right now.

there's a bit of a boogie nights reference at the beginning of the seinfeld commentary if that makes any of you go out and rent it.

Cecil

Quote from: sphinxthere's a bit of a boogie nights reference at the beginning of the seinfeld commentary if that makes any of you go out and rent it.

can you just tell us what it is?

ive allready seen the movie in theatres

©brad

wait what is this thing? i'm lost. i've never heard of it before. seinfeld is in it? i'm there.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

this movie will be for future stand up comics what wall street is to stock brokers today

sphinx

and no, i can't just tell you the reference because that would be cheating

:yabbse-cheesy:

©brad

ShanghaiOrange

I love that cover-art. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

cowboykurtis

i found this movie very bitter sweet -- i was quite depressed when i walked out of the theater.
...your excuses are your own...

RegularKarate

I'm bringing this back to life (until it's ignored for the weekend at which point, it will die again).

I just watched this last night and liked it quite a bit.  I have to say that I HATE Orny.  What a fucking annoying, unfunny prick and it was really too bad that they spent so much time with him.

Other than that though, good shit.

****SPOILER****

I CAN'T BELIEVE BILL COSBY SAID "SHIT" TWICE!!!!

sphinx

orny really does have problems.  a lot of them.

it was fun to see him fail at times, though

and the 'where is orny now' dvd feature will give you satisfaction that he hasn't risen to be the nation's new idol or something

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: sphinxorny really does have problems.  a lot of them.

it was fun to see him fail at times, though

and the 'where is orny now' dvd feature will give you satisfaction that he hasn't risen to be the nation's new idol or something

orny seems rather self important , and i just dont get it why so many un happy people get into comedy

i know that whole cliche about uh happy people are the funniest people, but i dunno you at least have to be happy about something, then you can be misrable about everything else .

when it comes to comedy, i am not as jaded as i am about other things

i love stand up comedy with a passion, and thats the one thing i got from jerry in the movie

but i will say this in ornys defense , being in that world could make you crazy

SoNowThen

I love Orny. I especially like when he has a bad set, and he blames it on the audience. Classic. I think the guy's got a unique attitude. Like when that fucker is telling him to be more like Steven Wright, the whole time I was thinking "just shut the fuck up", then when he leaves, Orny actually puts voice to what I was thinking. We need more funny assholes.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sal

Didn't like it.  I rented hoping to, but was very dissapointed by the time it finished. The documentary really didnt know what it wanted to be about.  It started weak, it progressed weak, and it ended weak.  Comedy is hard business.  Great.  Did I need to sit through two hours to figure that out? I got that in the first ten minutes.  What else was left, watching an asshole named Orny try and elevate into the business?  Success comes with attitude, and the guy was sporting a bad one.  

Eeh.  And the special features were weak, too.

sphinx

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesbut i will say this in ornys defense , being in that world could make you crazy

that's true.  i know very little of the structure of standup as seinfeld pointed out to me in the movie

lamas

I hated Orny throughout the movie but thought he was actually somewhat funny during his Letterman appearance.  It's worth renting this alone to see Seinfeld completely lose his train of thought onstage.  That was classic.