Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

European Son

godardian

...with "Two Sisters" on repeat...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Got this in the mail today. Looks like it's going to be a series; Morrissey is the first artist to participate. The participating artist compiles tracks that have influenced/inspired them.

Track listing is:

1. "Saturday Nite Special" - The Sundown Playboys

2. "Trash" - The New York Dolls

3. "Woodpecker Rock" - Nat Couty

4. "So Little Time" - Diana Dors

5. "Breaking the Rules" - Ludus

6. "One Hand Loose" - Charlie Feathers

7. "Great Horse" - Tyrannosaurus Rex

8. "(There Goes) The Forgotten Man" - Jimmy Radcliff

9. "De Castrow" - Jaybee Wasden

10. "Judy is a Punk" - The Ramones

11. "Arts & Crafts Spectacular" - Sparks

12. "Swan Lake" - The Cats

13. "All That is My Own" - Nico

14. "Hey Joe" - Patti Smith

15. "Death" - Klaus Nomi

godardian

European Son

I've loved Pet Sounds for years, but after listening to the unfinished Smile (the album that was supposed to follow up Pet Sounds) tracks recently, I've concluded that Brian Wilson was the premier genius of rock and roll. Lennon and McCartney have nothing on him.

Mesh

Quote from: European SonI've concluded that Brian Wilson was the premier genius of rock and roll. Lennon and McCartney have nothing on him.

Wow.  I would never, ever go that far.  Beatles/Beach Boys from 1966 to 1969 was a battle of oneupsmanship— a healthy artistic competition that produced a boatload of bona fide classics.

Now, how did it go?  Was Pet Sounds a response to Revolver or Rubber Soul?  And then wasn't Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band the Beatles' response to Pet Sounds?  Isn't it also blamed (in small part) for Wilson's inability to complete Smile?

Then, look at Smiley Smile and Wild Honey.  The first goes experimentally overboard, topping any of the Beatles most off-kilter moments; the second regresses into gorgeous Soul pastiche (echoed on the White Album and Abbey Road, one might note).....

In short, Wilson and McCartney and Lennon were all motivators of each other.  I'd hate to place any above any other for artistic merit....

SoNowThen

Quote from: European Son

I've loved Pet Sounds for years, but after listening to the unfinished Smile (the album that was supposed to follow up Pet Sounds) tracks recently, I've concluded that Brian Wilson was the premier genius of rock and roll. Lennon and McCartney have nothing on him.

Just bought this last week. The two instrumentals are my favorite. Whadda you listen to, stereo or mono version?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Mesh

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: European Son
Just bought this last week. The two instrumentals are my favorite. Whadda you listen to, stereo or mono version?

Kinda heretical to say, but I prefer the stereo mix.  The depth and breadth of the instrumentation is done more justice there, IMO.

European Son

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: European SonI've concluded that Brian Wilson was the premier genius of rock and roll. Lennon and McCartney have nothing on him.

Wow.  I would never, ever go that far.  Beatles/Beach Boys from 1966 to 1969 was a battle of oneupsmanship— a healthy artistic competition that produced a boatload of bona fide classics.

Now, how did it go?  Was Pet Sounds a response to Revolver or Rubber Soul?  And then wasn't Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band the Beatles' response to Pet Sounds?  Isn't it also blamed (in small part) for Wilson's inability to complete Smile?

Then, look at Smiley Smile and Wild Honey.  The first goes experimentally overboard, topping any of the Beatles most off-kilter moments; the second regresses into gorgeous Soul pastiche (echoed on the White Album and Abbey Road, one might note).....

In short, Wilson and McCartney and Lennon were all motivators of each other.  I'd hate to place any above any other for artistic merit....
All right, perhaps I went a bit overboard. But I do think that Brian Wilson was the most talented, although it's close.

Mesh

Quote from: European SonI do think that Brian Wilson was the most talented, although it's close.

You could talk me into that.  Probably.

Dirk

At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

phil marlowe

pookiethecat

i wanna lick 'em.

Pubrick

all three at once?? ::nutty::

under the paving stones.