elliott smith

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 05:34:37 PM

JG

yeah sorry about that.  i was really going to but the link i downloaded it from was all used up and i tried to yousendit and it didn't work.  i was about to make the post too...

and i've kinda been away for the computer since then.

i do feel like a jerk now.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: JimmyGator

i do feel like a jerk now.

Don't worry about it.

It has some high points, but the first track is pretty horrible quality... even for a demo.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

JG

High Times and Track 16 are great.  It's cool cause I never heard "Either/Or"  and i'm loving that.

Figure 8

I thought the cover of Thirteen was pretty damn good, too.

Reinhold

Quote from: Figure 8
Quote from: Reinhold Messneri listened to my entire elliott smith library last night. and again today. good stuff.
Which ones does that include?

Either/Or
Figure 8
XO
Roman Candle
From a Basement on the Hill
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Get his Self Titled ... STAT!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

ken somebuddy pleez host it 4 me?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Garam

This news makes me very happy. I hope they release it. The sound quality's a little iffy.

tpfkabi

i've downloaded mp3's of placeholder, angel in the snow, amanda cecilia, and thirteen for sure. maybe i don't think i'm ever going to figure it out and no name #6 as well. i just wondered if these are the same files?

p.s. if i had a fast connection i'd just download and see, but i'm still 56k.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Elliott Smith still sings to his studio's keepers
Two musicians and one sound engineer keep the flame burning for Elliott Smith at New Monkey Studio.
Source: Los Angeles Times

With the white candles, reverent words and hushed tones, it could almost have been a religious service. And in a sense it was: The two musicians and one sound engineer gathered in a tight warren of rooms in the San Fernando Valley were, among other things, paying homage to a departed saint, battered troubadour Elliott Smith.

The trio has spent the last 18 months or so fixing up New Monkey Studio, which Smith owned for the last three years before his 2003 death from stab wounds to the chest and where he recorded some of the songs on the posthumous album "From a Basement on the Hill" as well as others unreleased.

"Elliott's away for a while," says drummer and music manager Robert Cappadona while leading a visitor through the studio he owns with guitarist Joel Graves of the band Earlimart. "We're just minding the store."

The neighborhood is decidedly mundane, conveying neither the indie-rock-cool Smith embodied nor the morbid chill that has clung to him since his death. (The L.A. County coroner has never closed the book on whether it was suicide or homicide, saying there was not enough evidence to rule either way.) Wide, charmless Van Nuys Boulevard is lined with countless new car lots; a vacuum cleaner repair store sits a few doors down.

And the studio itself is modest. With its Persian rug on hardwood floors, small refrigerator and TV it could be a neater-than-usual dorm room. On entering, only an original mid-'60s poster for the Who's "I'm a Boy" single suggests that there's something unusual here.

But inside are artifacts that would excite any serious music fan — especially an enthusiast of the British Invasion rock that served as the foundation for Smith's music, even when his work was at its most fragile and haunting. "It's an amazing collection of gear," Graves says, "that we didn't want to see disassembled and sold off on EBay."

The studio's key piece is a console made in the early '70s at London's Trident Studios. According to Mike Terry, the Grammy-nominated engineer who has helped Graves and Cappadona refurbish the studio, only 13 were made, and they were used making records by Rush, Queen and AC/DC.

"It leads to a really big, round rock sound," says Graves. "We were told the selling point for Elliott was that some of [George Harrison's] 'All Things Must Pass' may've been recorded on this console."

But most of the pieces come from the more hand-crafted tradition of 1950s and '60s analog equipment, like the studio's classic '50s tube microphones, or the 1959 limiter (a device that helps prevent distorted recordings), both the sort of equipment favored by the Beatles.

Graves describes these pieces as producing analog sound with "a natural warmth to it — what people love about vinyl records."

And Terry, who was nominated for a 1999 Grammy for his work with the Foo Fighters, points out that the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds," revered for its studio wizardry, was recorded in a studio as small as New Monkey.

Still, while they describe the refurbishment as a labor of love, it's also been, as Graves puts it, "a battle" to get some of this old machinery working properly.

Graves, Cappadona and Terry are hoping to attract others with an ear for that sound. Members of Rilo Kiley, Bright Eyes and Modest Mouse have recorded in various configurations, and Earlimart has begun work on its next album at New Monkey.

So far the studio, which has recently allowed outsiders in to record, is filled only a few weeks a month.

"I'd like to see it working every day, with people in and out of here," says Cappadona. "To allow bands that might not be able to touch this kind of equipment come in here and make records." He's referring in part to the studio's relatively low rates: $500 for a 12-hour day.

Smith's fans — who tend to have an intense and personal connection to his music and persona — seem to have warmed to the project. The studio's opening, for instance, has been announced approvingly on Smith's website, www.sweetadeline.net.

Charlie Ramirez, who runs the site, says he has heard only good words from other fans, some of whom hope to record in the studio.

"Elliott created that studio not only for himself but to help his friends and other musicians to have a place to record with pretty much no boundaries," he says. "I think Joel, Robert and their friends really understood what kind of environment Elliott was going for."

The trio suspects that the New Monkey name, which doubles as their website domain name (newmonkeystudio.com), came from Smith's sense that the studio where he spent many a day and night tinkering in his final years had become the new "monkey on his back."

For an artist whose tangles with drugs and alcohol were legendary, it's a reminder of the dark magic the place still embodies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Exclusive: Elliott Smith Rarities Due on Kill Rock Stars
Source: Pitchfork

Happy Valentine's Day, Elliott Smith fans! Kill Rock Stars has delivered a priceless gift, better than chocolate, flowers, and diamonds combined. On May 8, the label that helped launch Smith's career will release New Moon, a two-disc collection of songs recorded in 1995-1997, the period concurrent with the making of Smith's classic KRS albums Elliott Smith and Either/Or.

KRS will also release New Moon on vinyl, while Domino-- which treated audiences outside North America to Elliott Smith and Either/Or-- will serve up New Moon there on May 7.

A portion of the proceeds from sales of New Moon will go to Outside In, a Portland, Oregon social service agency helping homeless youth.

New Moon was mixed by Smith's longtime friend and collaborator, producer/engineer Larry Crane, who also serves as the archivist for Smith's estate.

In a press release, Kill Rock Stars noted that the Los Angeles Police Department's investigation into Smith's death on October 21, 2003 remains open. The mystery and legend of Elliott Smith continues to grow.

New Moon tracklist:

Disc One:

01 Angel in the Snow
02 Talking to Mary
03 High Times
04 New Monkey
05 Looking Over My Shoulder
06 Going Nowhere
07 Riot Coming
08 All Cleaned Out
09 First Timer
10 Go By
11 Miss Misery (Early Version)
12 Thirteen

Disc Two:

01 Georgia Georgia
02 Whatever (Folk Song in C)
03 Big Decision
04 Placeholder
05 New Disaster
06 Seen How Things Are Hard
07 Fear City
08 Either/Or
09 Pretty Mary K (Other Version)
10 Almost Over
11 See You Later
12 Half Right
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i'm glad they're doing this. hopefully there will be several of these releases. the titles i recognize are pretty good songs as far as i can remember.

tpfkabi

that Autumn de Wilde is everywhere in music photography.

Spoon thinks she's auGumn though.

Robyn

tpfkabi

Just wondering the other day if they are ever going to release a New Moon type comp for the stuff after 1997.