elliott smith

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 05:34:37 PM

xerxes

i haven't been this shocked in a really long time. i had just started getting into his music this past year.

Film Student

Goddammit.  

Wednesday my sister called me.  She seemed distraught and I was beginning to worry, but when she said "Josh, Elliott Smith committed suicide yesterday", I just laughed.  I laughed because there were so many rumors swirling around about Smith and his numerous addictions and suicide attempts, and it wasn't the first time I'd heard this.  I assured her it wasn't true and we ended up laughing about it together.  Smith's music had such a profound impact on me throughout my teenage years, the thought of him dying was hard to take.  But I was sure it wasn't true.  Then I opened the newspaper thursday morning and realized that it was true.  And I cried.  

More than any other artist, I felt a kinship with the quiet yet somehow hopeful desperation of his music. It helped me get through broken relationships, my parents' divorce, my own fear of the future, and the paralyzing hold that anxiety and depression frequently had on me.  It was the best kind of therapy, and I don't know what I would've done without it.

He will be missed.

"If I didn't know the difference, living alone would prob'ly be okay."
                   -- "I Better Be Quiet Now"
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

aclockworkjj

HOLY SHIT!!!...Film Student lives!!!!

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mogwaiholy shit!! aclockworkjj still lives!!!
you had doubt?
gonna continue to pout?

We done with this yet?    

Elliot...may he sleep sincerely. I am sad, woulda liked a nov. show tho.

GodDamnImDaMan

Ya, believe it or not GDIDM was a huge Elliot Smith fan. I bought the Goodwill hunting soundtrack hoping to steal one of the ballads on it when i came across "Say yes," I love that song. And i grew to love all other Elliot Smith songs. When i was away in Cypruss for a month it's all I'd listen to. One of the biggest regrets i have/had in my life was not going to an Elliot Smith concert in hollywood with my sister a year or two ago...I remember saying "I'll catch it next time."

R.I.P. Elliot Smith
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Fucko Without a Cause"I'll catch it next time."
same here...my next time just happen to be this coming november...he had become probably one of the best songwriters of this generation...Bright Eyes is the only one I think I can think of right now that might even come close...

blackmamba

Fuck'n A!!!
Why the hell did he have to kill himself?
I heard he was pretty high at the time, but I loved his music.  :(
It's just so sad, if he only had known how awesome he was.

SHAFTR

Do you think the fact that people like John Mayer are suddenly very popular playing the same type of music, while he is much better (everyone must agree) but not given the same type of attention.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRDo you think the fact that people like John Mayer are suddenly very popular playing the same type of music

its not the same type of music.  AT ALL.  

and no, i dont.  he was uncomfortable with success.  i doubt he was envious of john mayer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SHAFTRDo you think the fact that people like John Mayer are suddenly very popular playing the same type of music

its not the same type of music.  AT ALL.  

and no, i dont.  he was uncomfortable with success.  i doubt he was envious of john mayer.

I would classify them in the same genre.  I love Elliott Smith, and gave Room for Squares one listen and was not impressed.

modage

well it depends on what genre you are talking about, if its as wide as "singers with guitars" then i guess so.  but i really dont see them as part of the same thing at all.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02well it depends on what genre you are talking about, if its as wide as "singers with guitars" then i guess so.  but i really dont see them as part of the same thing at all.

singers with acoustic guitars
but I do see your point, and it likely did not effect him.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SHAFTRRoom for Squares
try either/or

edit: opps...I don't know Mayer too well

Pedro

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: SHAFTRRoom for Squares
try either/or
um he was talking about john mayer...and if he didn't like room for sqaures he should listen to Inside Wants Out.

blackmamba

no way are john mayer and elliot smith in the same genre.