elliott smith

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 05:34:37 PM

modage

Quote from: bigideasdoes anyone know anything about the Jackpot Sessions?
yeah.  they are his XO studio sessions (although they just leaked) and contain alternate versions of songs on the album as well as songs that never made it (or turned up as b-side) and a beatles cover for good measure.  its good.  

21 tracks are....

1. division day (alt)
2. bled white (alt)
3. i didnt understand (alt)
4. amity (lp)
5. miss misery (alt)
6. waltz #1 (alt)
7. untitled (seen how things are hard)
8. georgia
9. how to take a fall
10. some (rock) song
11. bottle up and explode (alt)
12. nothing has changed (w/neil gust)
13. the enemy is you
14. no name #6
15. amanda cecilia
16. a question mark (instrumental)
17. silver chain (instrumental)
18. untitled (instrumental)
19. revolution
20. a place to stay (w/mary lou lord)
21. i figured you out (w/mary lou lord)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

http://www.geocities.com/smithdownloads3/linkspage.html

ok, then maybe i've heard a lot of them through the page above. i remember I Didn't Understand sounded really great with piano.

have you downloaded Basement yet? i think i'm going to wait.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: themodernage02yes i did.

...................andddddduhduhduh?

Coast to Coast sounds amazing from the description

are the Jackpot Sessions up anywhere for download? i thought they were up at Sweet Addy, but i didn't see it in the music section.

imawombat

yes...

how is it?  i'm dying to know.  my old computer doesn't have the capacity to download and i used to do it at work, but my job ended.

in any case, i love the jackpot session stuff.  especially amanda cecilia.

oh, and you are right-that a lot of stuff is on sweet addy if you search for it.
these things do happen

tpfkabi

so there an actual page with the mp3's or are you talking about searching through the messageboard?

i downloaded Amanda Cecilia through that page i linked above, as well as those different versions of X/0 songs. i have yet to make a CD for them yet.

imawombat

i think you may have to search through the board for the thread about that.

however, try //www.somesongs.net  for some live shows.

there are some great ones there.
these things do happen

bigperm

Safe As Milk

Pedro

Quote from: the dvd descriptionthis was one of the last shows to feature Smith alone on stage.
ha.  lies.

tpfkabi

if you didn't know, you can now legally download an official track from the album, Twilight, at Sweet Adeline.

Finn

I just downloaded his new album off Winmx. It's really great. At least now I won't have to wait until October :wink:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Rudie Obias

the new elliott smith is amazing!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MacGuffin

Striking revelation in epics, vignettes
Elliott Smith's posthumous album scores 4 stars. Source: Los Angeles Times

Elliott Smith
"From a Basement on the Hill" (Anti-)

The title of the venerated singer-songwriter's posthumous album pairs contrasting perspectives — the image of the basement suggests digging below the surface, while the hill evokes the idea of taking in a wide view.

Both viewpoints are in force on the album, with some songs penetrating deep into a character's private psychology and others observing emotional activity from a more detached, narrative vantage point.

The album, which Smith had finished recording but hadn't mixed or sequenced, comes out Oct. 19, almost a year to the day after he died of a knife wound in his Los Angeles apartment. For someone who enjoyed an unusually intense bond with his audience, that's not nearly long enough for his presence to fade, and his lingering memory will probably color the way many listeners hear some of the album's especially revealing lines.

But in its ramshackle glory and musical wanderlust, "Basement" reaches far beyond the cult that coalesced around Smith during his decade-long evolution from isolated confessional auteur to one of the most widely admired troubadours of his generation.

Smith, who started in punk rock, chafed under that stereotype, and "Basement" — conceived as an independent release during a temporary break from his DreamWorks/Interscope contract — served as a revitalizing break from the normal career cycle.

Freed from the more formal sound and circumstances of his previous work, Smith indulged without being indulgent, and the revelation here is the exuberant, instinctive, playful and daring sonic pilot who was hidden inside the meticulous craftsman of such albums as "XO" and "Figure 8."

Time after time, Smith drops his poignant, enticing melodies into musical maelstroms fashioned from fuzzed and distorted guitars, clattering rhythms and layers of sounds ranging from keyboards and string arrangements to chattering voices to the chirps of birds and crickets.

These bracing, unruly epics are balanced by more gentle, intimate reveries, but no matter where you go, the thematic terrain is pure Smith, following the music's swings from euphoria to despair. Smith is unmatched at capturing the futility of a life dogged by toxic relationships and detox clinics, a life whose promises of solace evaporate like phantoms.

Even though his singing is freer and more forward than ever, its plangent timbre always carries at least a trace of pain. By the end, you know what it's like to feel everything so intensely that it just hurts too much.

— Richard Cromelin
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

You can hear the whole album here:
http://www.mtv.com/music/album_preview/elliott_smith/from_a_basement_on_the_hill/index.jhtml

The last track is amazing. Im gonna wait for the cd but I listened to this cause I have an old version of it. Sooo goood....
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

its also available now for download on iTunes if anyone is interested in that.