elliott smith

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 05:34:37 PM

modage

didnt see him on here.  but he is certainly one of my favorite artists right now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

children with angels

I've only got Either Or, but I adore it - he is a wonderful songwriter... Ballad of Big Nothing is one of my favourite songs.

One of the most satisying things in the world = when the drums come in on an Elliot Smith track...! Don't know what it is about it: they're just always so damn... satisying...

Also, he swears better than almost any musician out there. Him, Fiona Apple and E from the Eels have found three superb mellow ways to say "fuck" and sound cool doing it...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

modage

you should really get XO and FIGURE 8.  they are both fantastic, although if you like the acoustic minimalness of EITHER/OR, be prepared because his more recent albums are more "plugged in", but are really really great.  if you are downloading first, i would recommend listening to WALTZ #2, BOTTLE UP AND EXPLODE, I DIDNT UNDERSTAND, SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW, I BETTER BE QUIET NOW, CANT MAKE A SOUND.  uhh pretty much all of them, but anyways.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

Elliott Smith is fuckin' great.  XO is amazing.  His self titled album is also a favorite of mine.

USTopGun47

Elliot Smith is very amazing.  Very reminiscient of Nick Drake's greatness.  He sure does say fuck beautifully and nonchalantly in his music.  For more mellow fuck - check out "Have You Forgotten" by the Red House Painters.   8)
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

godardian

Quote from: USTopGun47For more mellow fuck - check out "Have You Forgotten" by the Red House Painters.   8)

That is absolutely by far my best-loved RHP song. It's mellow, sure, but... it's the tenderness of the whole thing that gets to me. To use the phrase "fucked up" as an indication of tenderness and empathy... that's something fairly unusual in the pop-music world. Definitely not a shock tactic, coming from that source.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

children with angels

See also: 'It's a Motherfucker' by the Eels. Beautiful beautiful song. About the death of his mother.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

jmj

Holy shit...I just noticed this thread.  I love ES.  I first got turned onto to him because of the Good Will Hunting soundtrack.  After that I got ALL of his albums.  Just damn amazing stuff.  I've seen him live several times...always a great show.  I named my company, Beautiful Confusion Films, after the lyrics in one of his songs: Independence Day.

Most of you might be aware of this but just in case there is a great fan site at http://www.sweetadeline.net/

I can't wait for his new album.  Apparantly it's more scaled down than his last two.

For the record, either/or is my favorite album and I think it's the album that will define him 50 years after he's dead.  Man, that song, No Name No. 5 is just...well I don't know how to explain it but it's just pure beauty on wax.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

modage

i was very obsessed with him for a while after Figure 8 came out and still love him (although i am getting a little impatient waiting for the new cd).  i still havent seen him live but i have tickets to see him in NJ next week, if field day isnt cancelled :cry: , at that, and then in Philadelphia a few days after that.  i am very excited.

sexterossa

rumor is he is out of control. having problems making a new album and writing new songs. forgetting how to play his songs live. drunk at concerts.

but i admire that. i like that he lives the torment that is apparent in his art (his music).
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

modage

Quote from: sexterossarumor is he is out of control. having problems making a new album and writing new songs. forgetting how to play his songs live. drunk at concerts.

but i admire that. i like that he lives the torment that is apparent in his art (his music).

saw elliott smith last nite in hoboken nj.  he was quite messed up.  it was hard to say what from, but it was definetely something.  he only had to abort one song i think "ballad of big nothing".  but did struggle with a few of them including the opener "happiness" to which he could be seen mouthing "fuck" as he struggled to hit the difficult chords.  it wasnt as bad as rumors would suggest, but maybe he's 'better' now.

SHAFTR

I have either/or and I love it.  I've been meaning to get more of his stuff but I haven't.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

saw him again tonite in philadelphia.  he was sober and sounded much MUCH better.  it was really good.  he said that the new cd will (almost certainly) be a double album and will DEFINITELY be out before the end of this year.  he has 5 songs mixed and about 35 to go, but should be done mixing in about 6 weeks.  it wont be coming out on Dreamworks.  and, now the waiting begins...

Pedro

Quote from: themodernage02saw him again tonite in philadelphia.  he was sober and sounded much MUCH better.  it was really good.  he said that the new cd will (almost certainly) be a double album and will DEFINITELY be out before the end of this year.  he has 5 songs mixed and about 35 to go, but should be done mixing in about 6 weeks.  it wont be coming out on Dreamworks.  and, now the waiting begins...
:-D  izzzzz ehCITING!

Sprimetv

yea i somehow found elliot's music thru kazaa and couldn't remember where i had heard it before... then i remembered <g>
public access is funniest when drunk