Short Cuts

Started by jasper_window, May 08, 2003, 09:43:09 AM

jasper_window

my joy is unexpressable.

kotte

So I finally got to see Short Cuts...

I did the mistake I always do when I get a new Criterion disc, I went straight to the extras.
So when I got started the film my expectations were boosted.

I thought the different stories would affect me more, the voyeuristic approach hindered me to feel. I "felt" intellectually, I know things they were going through are painful but there was little immediacy, I never really felt the emotions. I think I'm too young, I can't really connect with middle-age relationships. Eventually I will...

I hated Tim Robbins character, it felt too over-the-top and frankly not real. At the end with the earthquake and what Robbins character did made me realize...that was the purpose. The filmmakers intent cannot have been that we should identify and less sympathise with him. There's nothing really human in him. Not that he's unhumanly mean or stupid or anything. Just that he's totally artificial.

There were definitely some good moments. I could feel Chris Penn's frustrations and sadness...'till he went ballistic in the end. The Finnigan's story was sincere but a bit mundane.

Good performances from everybody involved, especially Altman. Inspite the dated photography of the piece his direction shone through.
I wanna mention Stowe, Penn and Waits especially.

I'm sure if you can tell me what I missed, if I missed something, I'd be very open. Please make me see what's so fantastially great about Short Cuts because I usually love this kind of film.

Ravi

Quote from: FjodorYou wont be dissapointed. :yabbse-wink:

Quote from: ewardone of the best blind buys one could ever make.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: kotte
I'm sure if you can tell me what I missed, if I missed something, I'd be very open. Please make me see what's so fantastially great about Short Cuts because I usually love this kind of film.

here's a list of things:

>spoilers>>>>>>

-heuy lewis pissing on a dead chick. and you get to see his penis.  thats a rare thing.  that was heuy lewis right????
-juliane moore's vagina
-a kid that actaully dies
-robert fucking downey jr.
-awesome jazz score
-you got to see how PT anderson remade this into magnolia [complete with a catastophic ending].
-madelien stowe naaaaked.  shes cute
-mathew modine [underrated]
-that wierd blonde chick playing the violine..shes naked too
-anne archer ..shes sort of a milf  :ponder:
-frances mcdormand-nude
-and some other stuff

meatwad

don't forget tom waits

meatwad

SHAFTR

Quote from: kotteSo I finally got to see Short Cuts...

I did the mistake I always do when I get a new Criterion disc, I went straight to the extras.
So when I got started the film my expectations were boosted.

I thought the different stories would affect me more, the voyeuristic approach hindered me to feel. I "felt" intellectually, I know things they were going through are painful but there was little immediacy, I never really felt the emotions. I think I'm too young, I can't really connect with middle-age relationships. Eventually I will...

I hated Tim Robbins character, it felt too over-the-top and frankly not real. At the end with the earthquake and what Robbins character did made me realize...that was the purpose. The filmmakers intent cannot have been that we should identify and less sympathise with him. There's nothing really human in him. Not that he's unhumanly mean or stupid or anything. Just that he's totally artificial.

There were definitely some good moments. I could feel Chris Penn's frustrations and sadness...'till he went ballistic in the end. The Finnigan's story was sincere but a bit mundane.

Good performances from everybody involved, especially Altman. Inspite the dated photography of the piece his direction shone through.
I wanna mention Stowe, Penn and Waits especially.

Well, I think that Short Cuts was more of an experiment with narrative whereas Magnolia's narrative fits the story.  I was really drawn into Short Cuts and loved the movie, but it doesn't have the emotional punch Magnolia has.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

soixante

Altman views the characters and events of Short Cuts from a detached perspective.  He doesn't judge anyone or ask us to love or hate any character, he simply observes a series of human interactions, then interlaces episodes to create a larger picture of alienation and despair.
Music is your best entertainment value.

tpfkabi

"a kid actually dies"

what?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.