Okja

Started by Lottery, February 28, 2017, 09:40:40 PM

Lottery

A young girl named Mija risks everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend - a massive animal named Okja.

Directed by Bong Joon-ho
Written by Bong Joon-ho and Jon Ronson
Starring Ahn Seo-hyun, Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal and Paul Dano

Lottery

Drenk

It's a shame we won't see it in a big screen.
Ascension.

jenkins

i can't remember the last new release he played for a week but it happens once, twice a year

Something Spanish

Odd that they made a 35mm print when it wasn't even shot on film, same with Fury Road 2 years ago. I thought QT was of the belief movies should be projected in their intended format.

As for Okja, the trailer is sooooo good. I must have watched it over a dozen times, the Mamas and Papas track strongly stirring my emotional well with each play. Haven't seen any of Bong's films, yet have used his glass-spun smoking apparatus' on a few occasions.
Hope to find the time to Netflix Mother and Host before this comes out next week. 

jenkins

he's said something like that but he also believes film is magic and when he took over the New Bev he cleared out the (new) digital projector asap

WorldForgot

Hello, I will use the thread for this wonderful movie to introduce myself to the forum!

Just graduated BFA in film from NYU and moved out to the MovieTown so as to fight the screenwriter's hydra. Been frequenting The New Beverly like a MADMAN. Seen about four films a month since getting here in January, including The Beguiled and Okja.

Worth it to see this film on a print. I have yet to check out the image on Netflix, and althought I'm sure it's pristine, i can't imagine that the color contrasts between Okja's farm, the Seoul mall, and Mirando-Occupied NY are as stark as on digital. The textures on Lucy Mirando SPECIFICALLY are highlighted by the print's film-grain. When she's monologuing to her staff, looking out onto the skyline, the motion of the film reaches a standstill, just after an epic chase sequence. Herein the (Chanel) costume designs are solid lines, authoritative, while the flickering-blowout of the sky's highlights ripple around them like an aura. As if reminding us there are mediums that are alive, too.

Jeremy Blackman

Welcome indeed!  :yabbse-thumbup: