Favorite TV shows

Started by Jeremy Blackman, August 27, 2016, 01:27:19 AM

Jeremy Blackman

This list is for your favorites, not necessarily the best. (So you don't have to include The Wire unless you really actually love it.)

I think my personal taste aligns with a big picture view — which TV shows have accomplished the most creatively? For example, the fact that certain shows (you can probably guess which ones) have plenty of weak episodes doesn't bother me, because what really matters is the great heights they've reached.

(I'm almost tempted to include Battlestar Galactica for that reason — that was a show capable of both garbage episodes and absolute transcendence. Thoughts starting here.)

So here's my list to kick it off:

1. Lost
2. Game of Thrones
3. The X-Files
4. Breaking Bad
5. The Leftovers

Admittedly, The Leftovers is a bit of a cheat, because I'm projecting that the third and final season will be amazing. Season 2 was one of the best things I've experienced in any medium.

wilder

The Twilight Zone
Twin Peaks
Miami Vice
Horace and Pete
Mad Men
Louie
Six Feet Under
The Office UK
The Girlfriend Experience
Crime Story
Freaks and Geeks
Black Mirror
Looking
Hello Ladies

I guess most of these I like because they pushed the envelope in terms of bringing cinema to TV, comedies exempted.

"Looking" never had a thread around here. Really impressive show, and probably the most realistic renderings of people I've seen in a tv series. Andrew Haigh (45 Years) directed over half the episodes and wrote almost a third of them.

polkablues

West Wing: proved TV could be smart.
Friday Night Lights: proved TV could be emotionally resonant.
Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul: proved that TV could just be really, really fucking good.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

Oh wow, big question... Here's a selection:

The X-Files
Twin Peaks
Alias
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Friday Night Lights
Bloodline
Doctor Who
Sherlock
The Inbetweeners
Breaking Bad
Red Dwarf
Father Ted
The Royle Family

Also, I hadn't watched it for years, but the most recent season of South Park was really great. There's also 3-4 episodes of Entourage that I still really love even if the show as a whole has lost its sheen over the years.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Tictacbk

That aren't on anymore:
The Sopranos
The Wire
Mad Men
Freaks and Geeks
Cheers
The Simpsons (still on, but you know what I mean)
Friday Night Lights
David Letterman

That are on:
Game Of Thrones
Bojack Horseman
You're The Worst
The Leftovers
Mr Robot
Veep

Dobbs

I wouldn't call it a favorite but there this channel in my country that airs Quantum Leap a lot and when it's on I just can't stop watching, it's really addicting!

Anyway, a show that has a very special place in my heart and mind is Carnivale, really sad we aren't getting more of that. And Arrested Development too, although I don't have nice memories of season 4.

modage

Went through this fun but painful exercise for the #7FavTVShows so I'll repost here.

Adventures of Pete & Pete
Freaks & Geeks
LOST
Mad Men
Seinfeld
Twin Peaks
X-Files

If I had 3 more slots maybe Ren & Stimpy, Peep Show and Arrested Development (S1-2 only).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Honestly surprised that only one person has listed The Wire. (My comment was more a joke than a pre-admonishment.)

I sort of regret not including Black Mirror... suppose it would be a very very close 6th. Depending on the new episodes, I can see it surpassing Breaking Bad on my list.

I can see myself getting obsessed with Arrested Development upon rewatch. It hurts to leave out Twin Peaks, but I've decided I don't enjoy the bad stretches, and boy do they stretch.

Reel

I love The Wire, I'm currently about halfway through season 4 on my second viewing. It's addicting as all hell and I'll probably have to watch it again to understand every plot point, but there are such long stretches of dullness and bad acting, especially when focusing on the police and politicians. Aidan Gillen as Carcetti almost singlehandedly ruins the entire show with his terrible face and delivery. If anyone on the series ever deserved to be whacked, it's him. Having seen both this and 'The Corner' ( David Simon's previous miniseries about drugs in Baltimore ) I think that is through and through a much more realistic depiction of life on these streets. You owe it to yourself to watch it if you enjoyed even a minute of 'The Wire'.

1. Breaking Bad
2. Freaks and Geeks
3. Horace & Pete
4. The Wire
5. True Detective ( only season 1 )

Fernando

Mad Men.
I'm currently rewatching the series and up until season 5 there isn't an episode I truly dislike, some obviously better than others but all in all they're in general essential to the story, I read a few days ago the Mad Men thread and it surprised me how many people complaint about season 3, I don't get what they were expecting but throughout the entire season many things happened and the show evolved from that point on.

Anyway, the one thing I realized I miss the most is Roger Sterling, his lines were always great, funny and delivered perfectly, read this exchange from the final episode of season five where he is trying to convince Megan's mother to meet.

Roger: I'm not asking for anything more than a little conversation, I swear.
Marie: I'll try to getaway on the condition that you lower your expectations.
Roger: Below conversation?

Game of Thrones
I love everything about it, even how different are the show and the books.
This year I was worried that story wise it wouldn't be as good as it has been, but season six was great, e.g. that Hodor revelation floored me, Polka summed it up perfectly:
"The hardest thing to do in any storytelling medium is create an emotional payoff that is simultaneously earned and unexpected."

ok, we know GRRM gave them that one but still they pulled off the entire season.

Larry Sanders Show
I've said it before, I think this was the show that started to change TV as we know it, funny and brilliant.

Twin Peaks
OK, this did change TV too IMO, it's a miracle that it was made on network TV.

The Wire
A masterpiece.

Seinfeld and Curb
Those shows have made me laugh like no other, brilliant.

Breaking Bad
Probably the best show at handling tense scenes, both the shooting of Hank at the parking lot and the last 10 minutes of Crawl Space are prime examples of that.

Recent shows that I love unconditionally:

* The Knick - Soderbergh is a genius
* Hannibal - Fingers crossed that they eventually make season 4.
* Fargo Season 1. Malvo's character is a thing beautifully evil.
* VEEP. A satirical view at politics that is falling short on the insanity that's been this election.
* Leftovers Season 2. International assassin.

Axolotl

The Sopranos
Malgudi Days
Sarabhai vs. Sarabhai
Chapelle Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Louie + Horace and Pete
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

In no particular order except The Sopranos.