Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 2958 times)

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1164
Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 10:48:10 PM »
I think this was worth watching, and it was brutally addictive. But I kinda hated parts of it.

So much of this thing is devoted to skeptics standing in the way and droning on about their doubts while we, the audience, are fifty steps ahead of them. Why on earth do they think people want to watch that? And why does the show put us so far ahead of half the characters? It is not entertaining or engaging in any way to watch people being ignorant, certainly not for so long. What a strange way to pad the running time. There's enough content for 4-5 episodes, certainly not 8.

SPOILERS

Eleven was my favorite part of the series by far. Everything about that character and performance worked for me. I don't understand the criticisms; her powers, her story, and her relationship with Mike gave us the realest and most resonant moments. Not even close.

What's the worst part? That's real easy. Lucas, their black friend who is an uber skeptic. Why don't you join the James Randi Foundation already? Give it a rest, kid. Until he is finally convinced, Lucas is supremely annoying. The other guys don’t even like him, which I understand, because he’s a relentless contrarian. The character contributes nothing to the story, except to cause perpetual delays.

And that's what I really struggled with. Throughout most of the middle episodes, especially 4 through 7, the writers find every possible way to halt the plot or even move it backwards. The fact that it's mostly done through cliches makes it sting all the worse. It is absolutely maddening at times. I was almost pulling my hair out. And yet I still couldn't stop watching...

I actually loved the cliffhanger with Will in the bathroom. Felt like the show was suddenly operating on a new level, 15 seconds before it ended. Now I have to watch the next season.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

bigperm

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 02:25:11 PM »
I'm right in line with JB, agree 100%.
Safe As Milk

ono

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
The scene where El steals the Eggos from the grocery store should be Eggos' next commercial.

Okay show.  Criticisms are valid (why should we care about Will when we've known him all of 5 minutes, even if they were a tiny bit charismatic).  Kids are great.  El better come back.  Agreed about Winona being one-note (though it was a good note), and Modine being a waste.  Dustin was the scene stealer.  RIP, Barb.  This reminded me of True Detective a bit (though I didn't like True Detective).  Just doesn't go far enough into explaining its world, and leaves too many loose ends where they didn't need to be.  But still, the ride is very enjoyable.  I forgave all the borrowing and got swept up in the nostalgia and atmosphere.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1164
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »
+2
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Myxo

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
+2
I'm really enjoying it so far.

The casting in general but specifically Millie Bobby Brown as Eleven and Gaten Matarazzo as Dustin were outstanding choices. Someone really took their time to find actors who have a very specific chemistry together. You can't make a show like this unless the kids gel on and off screen. I've started following some of them on social media and you can tell this show is a thrill for them. How can you not love watching the careers of these kids take off?

It's hard for me to be too critical about TV like this. Is it full of clichés? Sure it is. Does it have flaws? It does. I feel like it does a lot of things well but nothing extraordinary. The Duffer Brothers have clearly stated that they were inspired by Spielberg, Lynch, Stephen King, etc. As a cover album TV show from that source material I think it's a lot of fun. It will be interesting to see how the momentum from this season carries over to season two. You know the budget and expectations will be much greater. How do the Duffers handle that? Do they stay in their lane and ramp up the strangeness? Or do they fold under the pressure of attracting a wider audience and try to take the show in a direction which doesn't fit?

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy