Black Mass

Started by wilder, April 23, 2015, 01:44:53 PM

wilder

The true story of Whitey Bulger, the brother of a state senator and the most infamous violent criminal in the history of South Boston, who became an FBI informant to take down a Mafia family invading his turf.

Directed by Scott Cooper
Starring Johnny Depp, Dakota Johnson, and Benedict Cumberbatch
Release Date - September 15, 2015

First real Depp performance in over 15 years?

BB

The blue contacts...a bit much, no?

Kal

Quote from: BB on April 23, 2015, 02:15:29 PM
The blue contacts...a bit much, no?

Distracting for sure, but pretty great scene/trailer beyond that.

BB

Agreed. I was just being internet-bitchy

Jeremy Blackman

Another nitpicky thing: I hate that they delivered the tension-relieving laugh at the end. I was dreading that the whole time, because it was a great scene.

diggler

David Harbour did not seem relieved.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

Sure, and it gets some credit for that, but it felt all the more like the scene was hitting that familiar beat against its will.

I can totally see the laugh not being in the movie, and they shot it all 3 ways.

jenkins

[skippable intro] must admit that you guys yabbering piqued my interest and since it felt for a moment like we were all together i watched the trailer,

[about trailer] never had gangster fever in my life, gangsters aren't my bag, andso during this i was thinking scorsese you know, tough guy talk, sitting there at the table all tough and making some kinda impressive psychosocial movement that elevates this situation's importance, and i didn't see the laugh coming though i'd read jb's reply, butthen the funny thing is the laugh in fact verified the scorsese-ness of this situation because i mean come on i don't gotta name this joke's most valued history

oh and i just realized who directed it. this isn't my bag

OpO1832

the blue contacts are almost as bad as the blue contacts Dan Akryoyd wears in Neighbors. I remember watching some interview were he pokes fun at them.

wilder

wilder

samsong

this is a goddamn bore.  some decent performances, mainly edgerton and a scene between julianne nicholson and depp.  this is a movie completely without perspective outside of its heavy-handed mimicry of crime films steeped in moral ambiguity.  the score is especially bad.  everything else is mediocre. 

watch the whitey bulger documentary on netflix instead.