The Tale of Tales

Started by Axolotl, April 22, 2015, 04:29:15 PM

Axolotl

Directed by Matteo Garrone
Cast: Salma Hayek, Vincent Cassel, John C. Reilly

(NSFW)

jenkins

it's become apparent to me in recent years that i simply don't have an affection for crime movies, though i've watched gomorrah 4x, and i've seen reality 2x, and i wish they'd do that thing in usa where they explain to everyone how far beyond on garrone they are and give him a traveling retrospective since i haven't seen the four features from the beginning of his career

i think italy means to art culture what germany means to sex culture, when i say that right now

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on April 30, 2015, 01:26:53 PMitaly means to art culture what germany means to sex culture

marquee

I mean I know we don't do that but...marquee

BB

Quote from: jenkins<3 on April 30, 2015, 01:26:53 PM
what germany means to sex culture

I'm curious what you mean by this. Scheiße? It's scheiße, isn't it?

jenkins

Quote from: BB on April 30, 2015, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: jenkins<3 on April 30, 2015, 01:26:53 PM
what germany means to sex culture

I'm curious what you mean by this. Scheiße? It's scheiße, isn't it?

a popular opinion on germany is it's a sexual country, and i was reminded of this recently in an interview:

QuoteGN The French are not softer or harder than any other country. There's an even stronger tradition of cruelty in Japanese cinema compared to European film. And among the Europeans, the Germans tend to top the French, Spanish, or Nordic countries when it comes to S&M or hardcore gay sex or things like that in real life.
http://bombmagazine.org/article/10019/matthew-barney-and-gaspar-no

plus i think i have an excuse to mention taxi zum klo, which is a 1980 movie from west germany, and i wouldn't say it's sexually daring so much as sexually self-assured in a way that the modern usa world is still trying to catch up with

this movie would be cooler if that poster was what i thought it said: "the racoon of racoons"

BB

Quote from: jenkins<3 on April 30, 2015, 05:25:06 PM
taxi zum klo, which is a 1980 movie from west germany, and i wouldn't say it's sexually daring so much as sexually self-assured in a way that the modern usa world is still trying to catch up with

Thank you for bringing this into my orbit, jenks. Dead on about its self-assurance. Bracingly honest too -- and not just about sexual matters. Loneliness, compulsion, stagnation, the difficulty of love. It's a naked film, figuratively and literally, in a way that something like Shame longs to be and can't, whether for censorship or lack of courage.

Were it not for all the close-ups of wieners and buttholes, this would no doubt have a much wider audience and greater popular acclaim. Not quite a classic of the mainstream variety, but on the order of Ali: Fear Eats the Soul for sure. Come to think, that would make one hell of a double feature.

jenkins

in the first twenty minutes John C. Reilly kills a sea dragon with a sword in order that Salma Hayek can eat its heart to become pregnant

that's how the movie begins. obviously glad i got around to this one