The Duke of Burgundy

Started by Axolotl, December 17, 2014, 01:58:33 PM

samsong

Quote from: Axolotl on February 11, 2015, 01:57:33 AM
Quote from: samsong on February 10, 2015, 03:03:05 PM
certified copy, which i know basically no one else on here was a fan of but for me
Really? I love it and it's a really well loved film in general.

it is generally well regarded, i just meant on xixax specifically.  maybe it was a little more evenly polarized than i'm remembering but i recall my enthusiastic endorsement of the film from my early viewing at NYFF was met here with mostly tepid to hostile responses.

it's interesting that you mentioned the bitter tears of petra von kant.  amid the superficial references to the likes of jess franco (whom i know nothing about.  never seen any of his films.), this movie played a lot like that particular fassbinder film with a heavy dose of mulholland dr.  there's also a very direct homage to brakhage's mothlight thrown in for good measure. 

the sentiment "it would be nice if i didn't have to ask" is the crux of the whole film really, and i loved seeing a film that was so heightened and sensual address such a banality about human relationships.  and it's all so gorgeously performed and rendered on screen.  perfectly realized world the film creates, wherein its themes are allowed to germinate and fully blossom by film's end.  would have really liked to have seen this one on the big screen again. 

BB

Absolutely one of the best films I've seen. On Netflix.