The Duke of Burgundy

Started by Axolotl, December 17, 2014, 01:58:33 PM

Axolotl

Director: Peter Strickland

A woman who studies butterflies and moths tests the limits of her relationship with her lover.

wilder

A woman who studies butterflies and moths tests the limits of her relationship with her lover.

Directed by Peter Strickland
Starring Sidse Babett Knudsen and Chiara D'Anna
Release Date - January 23, 2015 (NY)

Edit - Didn't realize Ax already made this thread

Axolotl

There are two threads for this.

It's coming out in US theaters and on the internet on 23 Jan. This friday.

cine

hopefully i wasn't the only one clicking to expect an anchorman spinoff.

samsong

this blew me away.  a total must see.  if it's playing near you, fucking GO.  among the cinema's great love stories/works of art.  i wasn't big on berberian sound studio, though i did find a lot to be admired and a clear potential for greatness in it.  that potential is abundantly realized in the duke of burgundy.  i'm swooning.

matt35mm

This movie is a BIG FUCKING DEAL. It's basically the movie that I dream about making, but made better than I'll probably ever be able to. I'm swooning, too. I can't wait to watch it again.

jenkins

i get you both liked the movie that much, i just don't get why you liked the movie that much and neither of you really said

matt35mm

I would be able to better answer that after I watch it a second time, which I plan to do as soon as it's available to me again (I caught the last theatrical screening of it here).

Part of it is that it ticks off a lot of the things that I just have an inherent attraction to... primarily that I love seeing women in movies, and in a serious way. I like seeing women interact with each other on screen, and I like seeing complicated women that are filled with desire, who also piss and snore and have to deal with their bodies and work to be sexy instead of just being effortlessly perfect-looking. It's not really a sexual thing for me (if you can believe that). I don't actually get off on lesbian stuff. I don't even see this as a lesbian movie, because it takes place in a world without men. For whatever reason, I just LOVE the celebration of femininity and the dismissal of masculinity in movies. Part of that is because cinema has been primarily masculine forever, and still is. I'm not talking about male bashing. This movie doesn't not have men in it because of any man-hating; it's just a story that absolutely has no role for men, so they're not in there. I actually have been wanting to do this exact same thing. Several of my movies already only have women, and others primarily feature women, but I want to make a feature with only women.

I love sensuality in movies, particularly ones that really use sound to build the experience. I thought the movie was visually very exciting, but also aurally exciting. I was hypnotized. So on a filmmaking level, I thought this was on fire.

samsong

i don't really see a point in engaging in one-sided in-depth discussion about a film that no one's seen or talking about.  all i can really do is put it out there that this is worth seeing, or was, as i don't think it's playing anymore. 

quickly though, i LOVE movie's movies.  movies that exist entirely within and constantly reference the established boundaries of cinema and past works, while offering a unique experience of cinema as filtered through the singular vision of its maker, which for me results in something transcendental.  this is very much that.  added to that is one of the most incisive, beautiful love stories ever put on film, that i've seen anyway. 

it's the most beguiling and moving art-film-as-romance that i've seen since certified copy, which i know basically no one else on here was a fan of but for me it's the highest compliment i can pay. 

jenkins

point is, if no one cracks their whip the wagon doesn't move

axo has been talking about wanting to see this too, and there might become a holy trilogy of people who adore this movie, based on the stated reasons. i did hope that xixax would like this movie

i didn't adore it as much as is being described, and the way it's being described doesn't motivate me to like it more. and to that i say nbd and i'm happy people are feeling the movie

Axolotl

Quote from: samsong on February 10, 2015, 03:03:05 PM
certified copy, which i know basically no one else on here was a fan of but for me
Really? I love it and it's a really well loved film in general.

Quote from: jenkins<3 on February 10, 2015, 06:54:42 PM
axo has been talking about wanting to see this too, and there might become a holy trilogy of people who adore this movie, based on the stated reasons. i did hope that xixax would like this movie

i didn't adore it as much as is being described, and the way it's being described doesn't motivate me to like it more. and to that i say nbd and i'm happy people are feeling the movie
I've been wanting to see it because of how much I loved Berberian Sound Studio, and because Strickland represents a strain of contemporary weird that is completely my jam right now(wheatley/jump exec produced it).
(also, wanting to see this made me rewatch Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant which made me want to see this even more)
(also, the cinematographer of this and Berberian, Nicholas Knowland's imdb page is a treasure. This was his first feature film he shot in 1969. It's a John Lennon/Yoko Ono TV movie in which he plays the cameraman. He also shot the only movie directed by Ringo Starr, and Institute Benjamenta.)

What did you think of Berberian Sound Studio, jenk?

jenkins

haven't seen berberian sound studio

Axolotl

I really like berberian sound studio because I'm a sucker for cinematic abstraction. I like when a film folds and collapses in on itself, especially if the initial structure of the film is framed by genre.

jenkins

i like dimensions i don't live in and there are certain things i wish i could appreciate more, sometimes i appreciate them more over time, and e.g. people liking things in new ways encourages me to like things in new ways. my basic cinematic goal is to like more movies than i already like

i keep meaning to say i learned about s&m shoes in a specific way during the movie. the shoes that were noticed during the auction. there was personality being registered in those shoes. i liked it, how the movie explored the personalities of the characters intertwining with their specific tastes and perspectives. that's a lot of fun. i thought it tried to wrap itself up a bit, at the end, that made my reaction feisty

berberian is on netflix for anyone who doesn't know. and it is spectacular.