Mommy

Started by wilder, July 17, 2014, 04:35:56 PM

wilder

Something Spanish

Quote from: modage on January 28, 2015, 03:02:42 PM
I could go for a version of this film with about 25% less hysterical shouting but the kid (Dolan) has promise and I'll def keep an eye on what he does next.

Interesting percentage. I suppose he could've snipped a few outbreaks, but that may have diminished the impact of the scenes where the kid is experiencing the peaceful happiness that's been absent since the loss of his pops. Look forward to catching it again on Blu. Anyone seen any other of Dolan's moves?

wilder

Supposedly the US blu-ray release has been canceled, but there's a Canadian blu-ray available now

putneyswipe

the song choices were tacky in a snarky hipster kind of way. the whole thing kinda felt like a telenovela shot by gus van sant.

I actually enjoyed some of the song choices though, maybe because I've been listening to a lot of crappy late 90's music lately, but I never knew the counting crows could be so poignant. Somehow it still worked for me emotionally despite how obvious it was. I found myself sort of identifying with these characters in this ridiculous contrived melodrama, and that doesn't usually happen. Sometimes it's good to be manipulated.

the filmmaking was simultaneously film-schoolish but really impressive at times, the whole opening car crash sequence was really well executed. I could go into more detail, but I thought it was just a good little movie. It could probably be 20 minutes shorter, but the good outweighs the bad in this case.

jenkins

i believe your opinion, it's just so typical and whatever

jenkins

i know but you don't gotta be 'cause that's par for the course

jenkins

i'm glad mommy's being celebrated somewhere or whatever, although i think if you go around talking you won't struggle to find people who didn't vibe with the movie. which is great, to me. because indifference is the worst really. and i think a person would have to use a bit of personal effort to feel indifferent about mommy. so you can keep smacking it around all you want and i promise you that it's not tearing me apart. regarding your quote, are you telling me you saw a bit of yourself in the movie? that's what i like to hear

god you are the worst instigator, i swear to jesus.
quit putting words in peoples mouths, man.

jenkins

backseat driver^

thanks for proving my point. ill knock your fuckin teeth down your throat if i ever see you in person and that's a guaranteed promise, little boy.

jenkins

lol imma pass on when you asked if you could see me if you came through la, and i won't even pretend i'm glad you brought up some silly fight for easter. this conversation is about how you don't like me and you are proving your point

the conversation is actually about how you like talking crap to people about their opinions on things and you back it up by telling them that they really meant something else.

jenkins

so, garam is fun. we're not actually fighting. have you read his posts? he's feisty. he knew he was being feisty with a movie i like, and he apologized in the beginning. i both wanted to tell him he didn't have to apologize and defend mommy from certain perspectives. it is true that dolan isn't winning the crowd. you, 03, haven't mentioned movies. mommy's a bit of a tough one, it is. but i still like it anyway, i like the tough ones, and i like garam, who's tough, he's diy on his opinions, and garam used a quote i used to describe his opinion about the movie as an opinion from him about the movie, and i reapplied the joke to revert it back to him, which is a tricky joke but i know garam can get it. then also, there was this conversation with you. that's how i see it

Jeremy Blackman

03 please exit this thread.

wilder

If you know you're never going to watch the whole movie, give the following scene a whirl.

SPOILERS FOR CONTEXT (highlight below):

Diane has made the difficult decision to commit her son to an institution after several violent outbursts, and has to trick him into thinking they're going somewhere else to get him there. During the trip, Diane imagines all the dreams she had for his future that she now knows will never materialize.

Mommy scene - Vimeo