Mommy

Started by wilder, July 17, 2014, 04:35:56 PM

wilder

In a fictional Canada, a new law allows distressed parents to abandon their troubled children to the hospital system. Diane "Die" Despres, a feisty widow, tries to cope with Steve, her wild yet charismatic ADHD son. While they both try to make ends meet, Kyla, a mysterious neighbour, offers her help. As Kyla's heart-warming presence becomes increasingly intense, questions emerge about her own mysterious life, and the way her destiny may ultimately be linked to that of Steve and Die.

Written and Directed by Xavier Dolan
Starring Anne Dorval Antoine Olivier Pilon and Suzanne Clément
Release Date - January 2015 TBD

jenkins

trailer says sep 19 for release, could be a canadian thing i'm clueless. i'll
check future calendars

this is a big one of course. tom at the farm is still fresh on cinema's shelf and if you don't think this release is a big deal than your cinema is too small (controversial statement)

wilder

wilder

Roadside Attractions Acquires Xavier Dolan's Cannes Winner 'Mommy'
via Deadline

Roadside Attractions has acquired U.S. rights to Xavier Dolan's Cannes pic Mommy. The plan is to release it in first-quarter 2015. Dolan's fifth film centers on an explosive 15-year-old boy with ADHD and his widowed single mom. But when Kyla, a new girl across the street, enters their lives, things change. Anne Dorval, Antoine Olivier Pilon and Suzanne Clément star.

Dolan, a Canadian, moved up to the Cannes Competition lineup for the first time with Mommy after winning three prizes in Directors' Fortnight at just 19 (he was famously miffed to be in Un Certain Regard rather than Competition in 2012 with his Laurence Anyways). Mommy won the Grand Jury prize this year.

EOne and Montreal-based Les Films Séville are handling distribution of the film in English and French Canada, while Séville International VP International Sales Anick Poirier negotiated the U.S. deal with Roadside co-president Howard Cohen and attorney Greg Bernstein.

wilder

jenkins

he's so fucking good.

wilder

Something Spanish

Holy shit! what a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful fucking movie. ripped me apart like a sheet of paper. this Xavier kid is fucking talented beyond anything I'd imagine someone of his age to be. would like to expound a bit more once the experience settles.

Pedro

Is the aspect ratio iPhone?

Something Spanish

depends, 4s or 6? jk

it's 1:1

jenkins

something spanish is now class president imo

pete

Betting on this film to restore my faith in cinema. Two days one night got the job started, here's to hoping this would finish.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

wilder

modage

I could go for a version of this film with about 25% less hysterical shouting but the kid (Dolan) has promise and I'll def keep an eye on what he does next.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

i think he puts himself right into the dangerous forests of the mentally disabled and it's too easy to make allegations from the outside. i think dolan's honest in a way that might threaten those with delicate feelings about how cinema should work

which, if there's an argument about this, i'd like to pre-say that's my opening and closing statement

reminder data about xavier dolan personally:

he's 25 until march and he's shredded his way up to this fifth movie, with each movie of his playing at cannes, and his first one "i killed my mother" won three awards at the director's fortnight. he was how old. that fucking guy