Borgman

Started by wilder, May 14, 2013, 02:12:41 PM

wilder

BORGMAN is the central character in Alex van Warmerdam's dark, malevolent fable. Is he a dream or a demon, a twisted allegory or an all-too-real embodiment of our fears? BORGMAN is a sinister arrival in the sealed-off streets of modern suburbia. His presence unleashes a crowing gallery of distortion around the careful façade constructed by an arrogant, comfortable couple, their three children and nanny.

Written and Directed by Alex van Warmerdam
Release Date - June 6, 2014

matt35mm

Shit. I had really hoped that this would be about a cyborg Ingmar Bergman.

wilder

Drafthouse Films Acquires Cannes Competition Thriller 'Borgman'
via Deadline

Borgman was the first Dutch film in the Cannes Film Festival's competition lineup in almost 40 years when the Dutch thriller from director Alex van Warmerdam hit the Croisette earlier this month. Now Drafthouse Films has picked up North American rights in a deal with Fortissimo Films, with a U.S. theatrical and VOD/digital release planned for 2014. Films We Like will handle Canadian distribution.

Borgman is an allegorical tale exploring the nature of evil in unexpected places. A vagrant enters the lives of a typical but arrogant upper-class family, igniting a descent from darkly comic dream to maddening psychological nightmare. Annet Malherbe and Eva van de Wijdeven, two regulars in van Warmerdam's films, stars along with Jan Bijvoet. Graniet Film (Netherlands) produced.

"Maybe once a year, I am deluged after a premiere with texts and emails to the effect of 'this is such a Drafthouse movie,'" says Drafthouse Films founder and CEO Tim League, "Its strange, disturbing, hysterical and utterly unique. Borgman is the quintessential Drafthouse film of Cannes. We can't wait to share it with audiences in North America."

The deal was negotiated by James Emanuel Shapiro on behalf of Drafthouse and Winnie Lau of Fortissimo on behalf of the film's producers.

Lottery

Quote from: matt35mm on May 14, 2013, 05:30:04 PM
Shit. I had really hoped that this would be about a cyborg Ingmar Bergman.

Read my mind.

Half man. Half machine. All Existential.

jenkins

high % likely to cross-pollinate xixax because i think a lot of people here could watch and like this movie. it weaves rebel black humor and dramatic mischief into a crisp fable structure. cannes and drafthouse films make sense. also it's the dutch academy submission, and i'd lesshate the oscars if it was nominated

wilder

Limited release on June 6, 2014

wilder

Fernando

looks great. but that trailer shows more than I want to know.

i literally had to watch this again after it ended. it is a truly amazing piece of cinema.
it is visual poetry. the screen is alive. everyone see this immediately.
in top three of 2014.
in top ten of 2010s (so far)

wilder

Blu-ray from Drafthouse on September 9, 2014

Jeremy Blackman

The end of that trailer seems like a pretty big spoiler. Is it? Unless it's part of a dream sequence.

Ghostboy

Surprisingly, it's not really a spoiler. This movie is almost perfect.