Veep

Started by ©brad, April 16, 2013, 09:33:47 AM

©brad

Who's watching this show? Please please watch, I need someone to party with this season. It's one of the funniest things on the air and definitely my favorite show right now. If you're a fan of In the Loop and Armando Iannucci you absolutely must watch.

A friend of mine on another board compared it to a comedic Deadwood in terms of language. It is a show in which language is an end unto itself.  It's also very dense like 30 Rock and episodes warrant repeat viewings because you miss so many of the jokes. The season 2 premiere was great and critics say the next few episodes are even funnier.

My two favorite moments from the premiere:

"I want my regular one-on-one meetings. I want more responsibilities in infrastructure and education reform. I want an expanded role in deficit reduction talks. I want a Cartier fucking dildo."

"My dad may have had a stroke. He told my mom he felt worse than that time he ate gay Jap raw fish shit."

Pubrick

fine i'll steal it, but it better not turn to shit as soon as i start watching.

i'm really bad at sticking to shows that jump the shark every week like the boring dead.

it's gotta be absolute perfection every single week... in the last few years these are the only shows that have achieved this:

BB, GoT, Louie, Curb, Peep Show, and Bob's Burgers and most recently Black Mirror. barely made it past the first season of Girls.

gave up on: workaholics, portlandia, community (latest season), mad men, a shitload of adult swim/funny-cos-it's-random cartoon shit eg. metalocalypse, archer.

time will tell where this ends up.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Give it to episode 5 at least! It only gets funnier and definitely doesn't jump the shark.

Fernando

last year I ate up season 1 in a marathon that ran hbo.

cbrad got it right again (I remember him mentioning veep in some other thread and that very day they ran the marathon)

Quote from: ©brad on September 24, 2012, 10:24:14 AM
Almost every Emmy awarded save Louie, Julia Louis Dryfus for Veep (which more people need to watch b/c it's amazing) and Aaron Paul was bullshit.

haven't seen the premier but will do today.

more ppl need to jump on the veepwagon.

Pubrick

this sucked me in immediately. go cbrad!

very funny and genuinely cringey in the right parts, the best formula.

this is an interesting show to compare to Enlightened because they both centre around a woman who is always losing her shit. but the main difference, i guess, is the main character in this show is not a cunt that you want to strangle.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Awesome! I'd appreciate periodic updates of your favorite lines please. I'm happy to report season 2 gets even better.

The show's use of profanity and JLD's delivery of such is truly inspired. I'm the first one to get turned off by an excess of cursing but for some reason it doesn't bother me in this show. She'll say something as simple as "Jesus fucking christ," "ask what's-his-fuck" or in the pilot, in reference to those plastic spoons, "what, these don't bend the fuck back?" and it sleighs me. "Whatchama-fuck" is one of my favorite fuck puns I like to pretend I coined and if this show ever uses it I will freak out.

polkablues

This is a weird case of a show that I really like, I watch every week, I quote all the time, but if at any moment they just stopped making them, it wouldn't really affect me. As much as I like it, I'm not invested in it. I have no idea why this is the case.

But as long as they keeping making them, I'll keep watching them.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

"All of my orgasms have come at once" was my favorite line of the night. Also every one of her bored reactions to people at her Iowa book singing were gold. "God bless you...etc." I'm so happy this show is back. Silicon Valley was great too. Sunday night TV is great again!

bigperm

Also Dan's throw away line to Jonah - "Ask Jeeves" made me spit my drink out
Safe As Milk