Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives

Started by Cloudy, March 20, 2013, 03:41:35 AM

Cloudy

I just saw this in a local cinema, and it was one of the most unique film experiences I've ever had. PTA has obviously raved about it, and it exceeded my expectations.

The entire audience stayed in the cinema until the end of credits, and slowly left in silence. You guys need to see this.
Trailer:

And here's a very in-depth interview(part 1) with the director. He talks about how he was also "recalling" different pieces of film history through each consecutive reel:

Lottery

I agree. It is a completely unique experience. I love how deeply and unquestioningly spiritual it is.

Also, people should have a look at Syndromes and a Century as well, which has an incredibly interesting structure (like Boonmee).

I'm doing a poor job describing these films but it's really something you need to see yourself. I can't explain everything in his films but that's okay. Or at least I think.

Challenging but worthwhile methinks.

Reel

Uncle Boonmee WHO CAN Recall His Past Lives.

I rented it from the library and will probably love it too. Get back to ya later on that.

Cloudy

*fixed.
For me...instead of requiring a mood to see his films, his films take over the one I already was in...those are my favorite films. Syndromes and a Century did the same thing for me.

Lottery

I think I might like Syndromes more but just barely. I haven't been able to grab a copy of Tropical Malady which I've been wanting to watch for a while.

Frederico Fellini

After PTA endorsed him I watched (almost) everything he's made and "Blissfully Yours" and "Tropical Malady" are my favorites.  Especially TROPICAL MALADY (definitely ranks in my top 5 opening credits scenes of all time). What I love the most about his films is that even though you have all this deep, poetic, existential stuff in the surface, there's hilarious tones of dark comedy over all of it (and if you don't find them funny, you ain't watching them right). Which I'm guessing is why PTA loves his films so much, as he tried to do the same in THE MASTER. I will now await eagerly for the guy's next film.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Lottery

PTA said that he wishes that he could make films like Uncle Boonmee. But I guess Inherent Vice isn't the right opportunity for that.
Or maybe it is, and IV is going to be the craziest shit on the planet.

Cloudy

I totally feel the same Freddie. They're so hilarious with such sincerity, which is where most of PTA's humor comes from as well. It's never ironic. Boonme and Syndromes are my favorites, but there's something really primal and basic about the way those first films are constructed that makes them feel even more alien. Which is great.

Punch

I'm also talking about the storytelling. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives... [Laughs] I just love saying that title. I'm talking about memory, psychic memory. When I talk about my parents, my grandparents—my mother's greatest gift to me was her family. I'm hanging out with the only first-cousin that my mother has alive, Fanny, and there's something absolutely remarkable about that. There's the repository for all of that memory that goes back way beyond me. They actually knew my great-grandmother, because Fanny's father was my grandfather's brother. Fanny's grandmother was born in 1853, 10 years before the Emancipation Proclamation. She has a whole collection of memories that come out in her own behavior and her own patterns of speech, her own way of putting together—it's amazing. She was also very close to my grandmother. And their worldview—or how they interpret the world, or how they manufacture their lives in the world—is a part of me in a sense.

So when I see Uncle Boonmee, I think about all the kind of stories I've heard about the little farmhouse in the middle of the night, where it's totally dark, there's no moon and you can't see. All those become a part of how I'm able to adjust to the world or see the world. And when Apichatpong's film came through, it knocked me out! Because I have a context.
- Danny Glover

http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/interview-danny-glover/
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit