Author Topic: David Lowery  (Read 23927 times)

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1834
Re: David Lowery
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
It didn't kill him!
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

matt35mm

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Bony old behind.
  • Respect: +487
    • My Films on Vimeo
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
We don't know that yet! We don't know WHAT it's done to him, and we won't know until the next time he posts!

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2015, 11:58:11 PM »
Shit, I probably jinxed it.

tpfkabi

• Respect: +22
    • twitter deed, twitter dead. in the heart or in the head?
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
The sci-fi film with a living legend - who?
If I read it in the thread I have already forgotten.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

matt35mm

• Bony old behind.
  • Respect: +487
    • My Films on Vimeo
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
+1
He wrote: "... a period crime movie starring a living legend and a sci-fi film from the producer of Under The Skin."

The living legend is Robert Redford. The project is THE OLD MAN AND THE GUN.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2015, 03:18:36 AM »
+3
Reading Ghostboy's production blog, I keep being struck by how insanely long a 70-day shoot seems. In the time they've been in production so far, Last Rescue would have been filmed twice with extra days off, and they're still a week away from the halfway point! Part of me loves the idea of having the luxury of money to shoot a movie with, the other part of me is terrified of the idea of having that much time to fuck things up with. And I know with deep certainty that even with those 70 days, he's still going to have a laundry list of shots and scenes he wishes he could have spent more time on. Good lord, I'm ending so many sentences with prepositions.

• SBD
  • positive energy;
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2015, 10:50:14 PM »
cliffs notes: this blog is fvcking amazing

wilder

• Respect: +1689
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
+2
Some gold from Lowery's blog:

The highlight of today was introducing Robert Redford to the gaggle of kids he'd be performing with - all non-actors, all under the age of ten or eleven. One particular nine-year-old sized him up with very put-upon swagger and then, moments later, noticed his boots were untied and volunteered to lace them up for him. This wasn't necessarily a kindly offer - there was a bit of one-up-manship to it, a "need someone to fix your shoelaces for, bud?" sort of move. Moments later, a handful of kids had gathered around to see who could best knot this bemused movie star's laces. If I can only hang onto one memory from this movie, this would rank pretty high on the list of candidates.

jenkins

• Respect: +1426
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »
lol the lowery touch on redford so good
Every perspective is an act of creation.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
That makes me wonder. Does a nine-year-old today comprehend what a Robert Redford is? Does that mean anything to those kids, or is he just another old dude they do scenes with in between watching PewDiePie play Five Nights at Freddie's 3 on Youtube?

Alexandro

• Respect: +470
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »
when I was 9 I didn't.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +719
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2015, 02:04:46 PM »
That makes me wonder. Does a nine-year-old today comprehend what a Robert Redford is? Does that mean anything to those kids, or is he just another old dude they do scenes with in between watching PewDiePie play Five Nights at Freddie's 3 on Youtube?
He's Hail Hydra from Captain America 2.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »
He's Hail Hydra from Captain America 2.

Incidentally, that's also the only way nine-year-olds know who Garry Shandling is.

Ghostboy

• Admin
  • Respect: +380
    • http://www.road-dog-productions.com/
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2015, 04:28:05 AM »
+3
I did not know who he was until INDECENT PROPOSAL came out, which was when I was 12, and I remember my mom being disappointed that he was in something so smutty.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2015, 04:48:36 AM »
+1
I remember watching The Sting at a very young age. I remember loving Redford and Newman's repartee, and I remember not being able to follow the plot AT ALL. Then Sneakers came out when I was ten, and my dad took my brother and me to see it in the theater.

But even beyond the actual movies I had seen him in, I was always aware of his legacy, or at least his cultural impact. He was a Movie Star. In some ways he was the archetypal movie star, in a line you could trace from Clark Gable to Cary Grant to James Dean to him. I don't know that the typical child of today has that relationship with the concept of the movie star anymore.

I'm not trying to say that's inherently a good or bad thing -- I'm not telling the kids to get off my lawn quite yet -- I just find it interesting to think about. The media landscape between when we were kids and now has changed by orders of magnitude.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy