Jauja by Lisandro Alonso

Started by Kal, November 14, 2012, 12:35:05 PM

Kal

On a separate note, we have 86% Rotten Tomatoes with Top Critics, and all the reviews are pretty great.

Look at what NPR says:

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/19/393819360/jauja-a-land-of-plenty-but-hard-to-find

The first paragraph is probably the best thing anyone can say about your film:

"Predicting year-bests in March is a recipe for eating your words, so I'll just say this: I can't imagine more than a couple of movies surpassing Lisandro Alonso's Jauja this year (it's certainly better than anything from 2014). And we'll be incredibly lucky to receive anything as visually stunning."

Punch

i really love what lisandro alonso says here  "I'm not really interested in the plot that the narrator starts telling in the film. What really interests me is an aesthetic point of view about things, images, this time and space in which to create cinema, and where those elements can take us as an audience. I think cinema is still too young to be forced to only exist in one form, in this more conventional way that everybody knows. As a viewer, I like to be surprised by a movie, so I start to start to ask different questions to which I have no answers."
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Kal

It got a week extension in New York if anyone wants to go see it.

And it opens tomorrow in Los Angeles at the Nuart. Tickets: http://www.landmarktheatres.com/los-angeles/nuart-theatre/film-info/jauja

Q&A with Viggo tomorrow and Saturday night after the 7:30pm screening.

Amazing reviews keep piling up. Variety, Vice, EW, etc. 92% on the Tomatometer today.

Cloudy

for anyone in the bay area, SF Film Fest screens Jauja this Friday 24 Sunday 26 Tuesday 28
http://www.sffs.org/sfiff58/program/jauja#.VTl0GWZLrdA

Cloudy

This changed my day. Fucking loved it. Diving in the cinema, just oozing.  At nighttime, with the least amount of hope, with the stars, the clouds veiling the stars to an overflow of music. The Argentinian landscape wrote this film, it dictated it-- as if what we were watching was authorless. When the two are beginning to fuck, the power and emotion given to the delicate white fluffy plant tells a story and evokes a feeling that shows one major example of the cinema telling the real story and real feelings and real meanings laced together in this film.... when the daughter tells her father that the landscape "fills her", and the shift in Viggo walking up the hill, looking back, getting to the top of the hill. The story was so simple, and I didn't like the way it ended, but it didn't ruin the movie for me at all. I was too far out for anything to break its spell.

Seeing this again on Tuesday.

wilder

Blu-ray from Cinema Guild on July 21, 2015

Alexandro

what a masterpiece. just saw it. I'm blown away.
what colors and how it takes you in. I was reluctant at first but as it progressed I felt myself being sucked into it's spell.
great fucking film.

I didn't check if anyone has said this yet but this is on Netflix right now and it is amazing

Kal

The funniest thing about the film being out on Netflix is that it has 2 stars compared to 92% Rotten Tomatoes and amazing reception elsewhere. I think most idiots on Netflix see Viggo on a horse and think its supposed to be another Lord of the Rings.