Jauja by Lisandro Alonso

Started by Kal, November 14, 2012, 12:35:05 PM

Kal

Glad you liked it.

MINOR SPOILER: Everything except the ending is Argentina. That last part is Denmark.

Axolotl

This is the kind of film that makes me feel bad for praising Interstellar.

So much beauty here. To be ridiculously reductive and not even come close to the real thing: this is like a dream Tarkovsky would have dreamed after watching The Searchers.

Congrats and thanks, Kal.

Just Withnail

Congrats indeed on a really good film, kal.

The greens in the beginning are still stuck on my retina (and the red of the commander's pants), the pace and sense of space that intensified the search so much. And it's funny!

Kal, please come to the rescue and provide the correct pronunciation of the title, at the festival where I saw it there were at least three versions going around.

SPOILERS

What did you make of the ending Axo? It was a shock, to put it mildly, and initially I was disappointed to end up in it-was-all-a-dream territory (and is that what it is?), but then I was seduced by some thoughts on how it changed the preceding story for me. Again, to be reductive: An orphan dreaming of a parent? An intense longing for someone shouting ones name in the desert? Of an intensity of focus to counter her languid strolling?

Axolotl

The film really messed with my head and left me with like ten different interpretations and the feeling that it doesn't matter which of them is true or (most satisfyingly)if there even has to be one. This is all from lines /images in the movie:

It's definitely a dream. When Inge runs away from the camp the only thing she decides to keep is a timepiece. The old woman is the girl. She says she'll be here forever. The dog is the key. The lost General in the desert was reported being seen roaming around leading a pack of thieves dressed like a woman. His dog disappeared with him and its name was "Jersey". So the general's(who dresses like a woman) dog is the girl's dog in the present. The dog scratches himself because he doesn't understand why she has to be away so long. Dogs understand way more than we give them credit for. The present girl's house is filled with portraits of her ancestors in the same blue uniforms. The house is almost a museum. She grows up, alone, enveloped in the past. So she dreams a past for herself, where her father searches the wilderness for her, makes mistakes, falters, falls(growing up is the realization that our parents are fallible), where she's a great General who rebels and leads a gang of outlaws against greasy, pervy, genocidal colonialists, where she lives forever and has a dog that follows her everywhere. Something like that. Or you can do a Borgesian flip and reverse everything I said and make the dreamer the dreamed. Or nothing like that. But I loved that the film made me think these things.

Kal

I fucking love this. Beautiful analysis. Someday we can discuss if what you guys are thinking has anything to do with what the Director was thinking but the beauty of this film is that WHO CARES. It's all possible and it all makes sense. Or maybe it doesn't.

The name is pronounced "HOW-HA".

For anyone who cares, this will be officially announced shortly but the film will come out in select theaters in New York and Los Angeles in March. Hopefully we'll add other cities.

wilder

Theatrical release from Cinema Guild on March 20, 2015 in New York, March 27, 2015 in LA, national expansion to follow.

Kal

Even people who don't like the film have to admit the posters are breathtaking.  :violin: :roll:

I will be attending some of the early screenings in those cities with Viggo, so if anyone here wants to come let me know in advance.

jenkins

Gold Trumpet

Looks great. Definitely planning a New York trip in March to see it.

Kal

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 10, 2015, 04:25:41 PM
Looks great. Definitely planning a New York trip in March to see it.

Let me know if you come. Same for everyone else here.

March 20th is NY. March 27th LA.

Kal

Opens in New York THIS FRIDAY.

Los Angeles NEXT FRIDAY.

More cities coming.

Here is the full schedule which is being updated every week with new cities and theaters.

http://www.cinemaguild.com/theatrical/jauja.html

If anyone wants to come see it in Los Angeles, Viggo will be doing Q&A next Friday and Saturday. Unfortunately he had to cancel his NY visit last minute.

jenkins

follows kumiko, the treasure hunter at the nuart, and is followed by kill me three times. think you're in a great slot and i'm excited! i'll be there and please pm me if arrangements can be made

max from fearless

Okay, this previews at my work on 2nd April, have my ticket and am so glad I'm seeing it on the big screen first!!!
Congrats again Kal...any chance anyone from the film will be in London?

Kal

Quote from: max from fearless on March 19, 2015, 08:20:10 AM
Congrats again Kal...any chance anyone from the film will be in London?

Pretty sure Viggo will be there for one of the screenings but not sure.