Jauja by Lisandro Alonso

Started by Kal, November 14, 2012, 12:35:05 PM

Kal

Kal

Ok it doesn't seem anyone here gives a shit about the film, so let me know if I should stop posting updates. I stay loyal regardless.

Jauja just won the FIRIPESCI award as Best Film from the Film Critics Federation!   :bravo: :multi:

http://variety.com/2014/film/global/winter-sleep-jauja-love-at-first-fight-take-cannes-fipresci-prizes-1201190159/

Jeremy Blackman

Congrats!

Quote from: Kal on May 23, 2014, 11:04:29 AM
Ok it doesn't seem anyone here gives a shit about the film, so let me know if I should stop posting updates. I stay loyal regardless.

Check again, you got like a million upvotes on the last page. Definitely keep us updated!

Do you have an idea yet when/where we'll be able to see it?

Kal

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 23, 2014, 12:50:02 PM

Do you have an idea yet when/where we'll be able to see it?

The sales company has been doing a bunch of deals during the festival so hopefully we will know soon what happens with distribution. Other than that it will probably go to some other festivals as well. I will keep you guys posted as we know more.

It's a bummer we didn't win the main prize, but I had a feeling that the President of the Jury was going to screw us. The film was beloved by everyone, the audience, the critics, etc. Best reviews of any movie in the entire festival, and over 50 reviews by top critics as well as the general sense for what I read on Twitter and in the press. It didn't win. A movie most people didn't even see and that has pretty bad critics and reviews ended up winning instead. Oh well!

Alexandro

this is huge for many reasons kal, and I salute you for this because it fucking rocks.
I have impossible expectations for this film now. Lisandro Alonso is big in latinamerica, he is up there with Reygadas and him working with an actor like Viggo can only mean great things. I was a big fan of los muertos, but liverpool left me a little cold. A drastic change like having a big hollywood star in your next film, in the case of Alonso is exciting, and can only mean good things.

But to spice things up, here. What can you tell us about the process of getting this film made, how did Lisandro Alonso got into his head to find viggo for it, and any other cool info or anecdotes about the production.

congrats again!

Kal

Quote from: Alexandro on May 23, 2014, 11:21:12 PM

But to spice things up, here. What can you tell us about the process of getting this film made, how did Lisandro Alonso got into his head to find viggo for it, and any other cool info or anecdotes about the production.

Lisandro and I started talking about this like 5 years ago. We are friends and we wanted to make a movie together. We had made the opposite type of films so far, I did mostly commercial movies and comedies, he did ultra artistic and slow films. So one way to mix both and make something appealing to a slightly wider audience was to get a well known actor involved. Viggo was his first and only choice, and as he started writing the project with Fabian Casas, they did it with Viggo in mind all along. It was really great when he decided to not just act, but produce the film with us and get super involved in the entire process.

There's a segment that was shot in Denmark, and the rest of the film in Argentina. Post production was mostly between Argentina and Mexico.

Punch

What did you do on this picture kal?
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Kal

Alexandro

I have a couple of filmmaker friends (husband and wife, they coproduced my film actually) who make films in the vein of this contemporary latin american cinema, the so called contemplative modern cinema, with natural landscapes, non actors, all that. They recently made their last film with a new ingredient in the mix, none other than Geraldine Chaplin. I've been really excited about that because one of the things that always bothered me about these types of films (not necessarily theirs or alonso's, but still) was the "pass" given to their non actors to not really do anything and look awkward on camera and be in a middle ground between trying to act and failing (bresson school and all that), and I think a real actor, one as good as geraldine chaplin or viggo mortensen can bring something incredible to the table in this type of filmmaking, not to mention the wider appeal. but actors can keep your attention in a way non actors just can't all the time. I hope more filmmakers dare to do mix ups like this: thin narrative filmmakers can go with big actors, and linear commercial filmmakers can go to non actors.

Kal

jenkins

gotchu babe:

Quote'Jauja' finally has U.S. distribution—Cinema Guild has slated the film for an early 2015 release

oh i forgot to c+p the url. this was entertainment weekly news \m/

Kal

Alexandro

Ghostboy

I hope they release it in a timely fashion -  I can't wait to see it.

Kal

Quote from: Ghostboy on August 25, 2014, 11:02:24 PM
I hope they release it in a timely fashion -  I can't wait to see it.

If you're in LA/NY in the next few months you may get to see it sooner  :yabbse-thumbup: