How big is your TV?

Started by Reel, October 24, 2012, 12:38:13 AM

Reel

Quote from: polkablues on July 06, 2013, 11:29:24 AM
Do you have separate remotes for the tv and the blu-ray player or a universal remote controlling both of them?

you gotta keep 'em separated. ( I had to make a joke I couldn't just answer with one word )

polkablues

Hmm... my only guess is that there might be some sort of CEC feature linking the blu-ray and the TV that's going haywire. Check your TV's settings for something like EasyLink or FunLink or whatever the hell Magnavox is calling it. If it's on, turn it off. Then do the same thing with your blu-ray player settings. It'll probably be labeled "CEC" on the blu-ray, but it might be something like "HDMI Control."

If that doesn't fix it, I'm out of ideas.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Thanks, man. I think that might be just the thing. It's called FunLink and I had no idea what it was supposed to be for until now.

EDIT: It worked! Now I can just scroll, scroll, scroll, like a fucking human being. Ah, Freedom.

polkablues

Sweet, I'm glad that worked.

Brando

Anyone in the market for a new TV should buy one soon cause Panasonic has announced it is no longer making Plasmas. Panasonic Plasmas are considered among the best TVs with the best picture. I've had my Panasonic Plasma for less than a year. I kept putting off getting a new TV, sticking with my old 24 inch standard def TV until I had enough for a Panasonic Plasma and it was worth it. It's a "dumb tv" with no apps, only has two HDMI inputs to go along with the other known plasma issues but picture is more than worth it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57606619-92/panasonic-reportedly-plans-to-pull-plug-on-plasma-tvs-next-year/

Panasonic reportedly plans to pull plug on plasma TVs next year

Panasonic's days in the plasma TV market appear to be numbered.

In a long-rumored move, the Japanese electronics giant is planning to exit the market by March 2014 when its current fiscal year comes to an end, sources familiar with the situation told Reuters. That Panasonic was contemplating a departure from the market was first reported by the Japan-based newspaper Nikkei in March, but this reported timetable is sooner than some analysts had expected.

CNET has contacted Panasonic for comment and will update this report when we learn more. The company told Reuters that it was still exploring its options for the unit and that no decision has been made on its fate.

Although Panasonic's plasma TVs are considered among the best on the market, such a move might help the company repair its ailing operation, which is losing billions of dollars. In November, Panasonic announced it would cut 10,000 jobs by the end of March, just months after it laid off 36,000 employees in the previous fiscal year. Cutting its television operation could save it some much-needed cash and allow it to focus on other industries.

Panasonic had previously hinted that its retirement from the plasma business was nigh, telling CNET that its latest high-end plasma would likely be the last generation of plasma TV development the company would undertake.

The exit would come as interest in plasma TVs continues to wane. Global shipments of plasma TVs declined 21 percent in 2012 compared with a 1 percent decline for LCD. That sharp fall follows years of market share decline for plasma, corresponding to the increasing dominance of LCD.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Reel

I bought a new TV for my bedroom a few weeks ago. 43", biggest I've ever had! It's been working great so far, but tonight when I had it on a default grey screen I noticed the slightest pink hue in the bottom quarter of the screen. It's nothing you'd ever notice watching a movie, but it just raises my suspicion that something might be wrong. I even remember the guy jamming it in the cart at the store and thinking "Oof! you might've wanted to be more careful there.." I did buy the service warranty but I feel like if I brought it to the store with this complaint they'd think I'm insane, but it is a valid issue, right? I'm looking at screen that's supposed to be grey and it's pinkish on the bottom half. I think I'll just ride it out until something major enough appears to warrant a replacement. What do you guys think?

Edit: come to think of it, it is directly facing my window where I usually keep the shades open and sun is blasting it throughout the day. I've heard that can leave certain permanent impressions on the screen. if that's the case, I can live with it.

polkablues

If it's under warranty, I'd recommend taking it in sooner rather than later. Even if it is something you inadvertently did to it, they're much more likely to just accept it as a factory defect and replace the TV than if you wait longer and then make a claim.