Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Started by Pozer, July 15, 2012, 01:01:16 PM

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

AHHH, Kentucker Audley was talking about ATBS in his Open Five 2 Q&A and my feed cut to an automatic commercial!!

He named his relationships with other characters/actors (in ATBS) and dropped a fun spoiler, which spoiler was related to his role.

matt35mm

I was watching that, too. It was a good Q&A.

I don't think this spoiler is being kept under too much of a wrap, as I know it's been mentioned before somewhere... maybe it was just Twitter banter... I won't say it here, though.

jenkins

Mmhmm, I mentioned the spoiler to recap, and didn't name it to protect the purists. Didn't think it was a wrongful disclosure.

Forgot to mention Audley said he asked Lowery to edit Open Five 2, but Lowery passed due to a packed schedule. Aka make room for Xixax ;)

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Hey! Look who's in the NY TImes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/movies/a-talk-with-directors-rejected-by-sundance-festival.html

The director David Lowery argued that being denied by Sundance is the mark of a true independent filmmaker. "The sense of struggle really bonds people," he said.

Mr. Lowery, who can remember wallowing in a "very cliché, melancholy" walk in a cold November rain after an early rejection from Sundance, endured many more over 10 years as he learned to "bite the bullet," he said. "And then you move on to Plan B."

Finally, in 2011, he had a short accepted there. This year his feature "Ain't Them Bodies Saints" made it in and is the subject of early positive buzz. Mr. Lowery, a Texas native, can credit Slamdance, the upstart festival that takes place in Park City at the same time as Sundance, and South by Southwest with giving him his first big break. Both showed his 2008 Sundance-rejected short, "A Catalog of Anticipations."

Bonus.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

No one's said it yet, I guess because he's one of us.  Ain't Them Bodies Saints is just a horrible title.  I'm excited for anyone here who achieves any sort of success, but wow, that's painful.

GB seems to be sporting a Plainview/Bronson/Swanson look.  That's one helluva 'stache.

polkablues

It's an awkward title, but not a bad title.  Especially if there's a strong context for it within the film.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

has a kind of amber obscurity that feels appropriate for the movie, based on what lowery has said about it. and beyond clarity or mellifluousness, it seems important that your title reflects a quality back onto you. the thing i like about the title is that no other movie would be titled this.

he's blogged about outside pressure to change the title, and i guess if he'd wanted to he would have. he seems willing to accept the trade of some people not liking it or understanding it for a kind of artistic cohesiveness.

if we're in confessional mode, i'm worried about the period setting. worried about nostalgic amplification, romanticizing. curious what the period setting will bring to the movie, besides art department treasures. agree with soderbergh that most period stuff would work just as well in a modern context. st. nick worked in a kind of timeless way that transcended period considerations, why wouldn't that have worked here? will find out.

©brad

Quote from: ono on January 11, 2013, 04:13:25 PM
No one's said it yet, I guess because he's one of us.  Ain't Them Bodies Saints is just a horrible title.  I'm excited for anyone here who achieves any sort of success, but wow, that's painful.

Wow I really disagree. I think the title is awesome. It's unusual and evocative and makes me want to pick up the movie. More than I can say for The Master (purely on a title basis).

Reel

Ain't Them Bodies Saints is just a horrible title. 

basically echoing what Polka said...

you'd only say it's 'bad' because you don't what it's referring to. I think it's a good title because it doesn't let you off the hook by blatantly telling you what the movie is about, you have to find out for yourself. It obviously seems to be taken from a piece of dialogue in the film, and once you hear it, it'll make a lot more sense, then I guess we'll know why he picked it.

The other day I thought that maybe it has to do with dead bodies going up to heaven or something? I don't know...

ElPandaRoyal

Also it sounds great. English is not my main language and I just love to say this title out loud.
Si

Tictacbk

Ain't Them Bodies Saints is just a horrible title.

I think its a great title, and thats coming from someone who won't shutup about how much he hates the title "Silver Linings Playbook".   When I see it paired with that one image we have so far, somehow it makes perfect sense.

RegularKarate

Town grump, Ono is just being his usual self.

I think the name is great. It's interesting and I like the sound of it. Not boring... that's what I like, it's not boring.

bonanzataz

I'm currently at Sundance. The premiere starts in two and a half hours. I'm on the waitlist line to get in and it's looking unlikely with about 80 people in front of me. All to see the movie made by the guy I used to post with on the Paul Thomas Anderson message boards. I'm like weirdly proud, and if I get in, I'll likely post a full report that'll read "holy shit. Wow guys"
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls