Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Started by Pozer, July 15, 2012, 01:01:16 PM

modage

EXCLUSIVE: Had lunch with Ghostboy yesterday. He is doing very well.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

EXCLUSIVE: Ate Chinese take-out by myself, seasoned with the tears of my failure.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-77060273/

the info isn't unknown to xixax. the point is a prominent los angeles cinephile said all the right things, in the right place, and in a positive way

will lowery be at the academy on sunday? doesn't sound like it :/ seeing this at 3

jenkins

such a surprising and sweet story to share. during the end credits i was thinking about how the font looked, and i turned around toward the projector. i asked my friend, with whom i've watched ~100 movies, "is this a dcp?" omg, my friend was crying! true story. haven't seen my friend cry after a movie, never, and he was for this! true

proud of your big ol' texas sky becoming the sky for so many others

crowded theater, btw. nice. people said positive things about the movie while in exiting environments <333

Ghostboy

I never anticipated that I'd make a tearjerker, but this seems to be having that effect on a lot of people. Thank you for going to see it!

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

xerxes

Possible spoilers so beware.

It's really a beautiful film. In between the few flashes of violence is really a quiet, almost slow film. I don't mean slow in a negative way, it takes time to observe the characters and allows the world to open up organically. Man, I just have to stop and say that Keith Carradine is awesome. I could listen to that guy talk for hours, but I digress. I love how it builds slowly (but I don't know if builds is the right word) to a conclusion that everyone, except maybe Bob, can feel coming but can't really do anything to avoid. Definitely had some feelings there at the end. My only real complaint was the size of the screen they were showing it on. But I plan to see it again on a nice big screen when it opens a little wider. Will probably have more thoughts then.

Kellen

fuck, i need this film in my life.

matt35mm

I'm aiming for one of the Saturday screenings with the Q&A at Violet Crown, whenever those tickets go on sale.

Ghostboy

Quote from: matt35mm on August 19, 2013, 07:09:55 PM
I'm aiming for one of the Saturday screenings with the Q&A at Violet Crown, whenever those tickets go on sale.

I will be there for the evening shows, and maybe the afternoon ones as well. Looking forward to seeing you!

Meanwhile, I've been reading all the reviews because I'm a glutton for punishment just as much as I am for love. I read this one today and it hits a particular nail on the head that kinda sets up what the movie is in a very specific way that I love.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/08/aint-them-bodies-saints.html

jenkins

enjoy how you link reviews and appreciate interpretations. you're nice about it

for conversational purposes, want to mention paste is great in the way it observes the multitude of visions saints presents. agreed. imo, skip the final paragraph, which tries to seal the praise with the white-lily hands of cinephilic semantics. doesn't work. the choice is for the artist -- film vs movie is an old and tired battle that misses important points about intentions. i really don't think saints is as basic and political as that battle, and the movie wouldn't shine if that was its point. paste makes planning art sound like planning a scheme. saints works because it nails its bullseye. an arrow is always an arrow, a bullet is always a bullet, and you just gotta know how to fire. lowery fires off, i think so

on another topic, malick comparisons are nodoubt helpful due to malick's platform, but i don't think that's where lowery stands. lowery stands on his own platform. a compliment of course. me and other people (~3) think malick's name keeps getting repeated because it's fun to say malick and in saints there's country and the sun sets. saints moves in its own way. i think paste also says that, in fact. that's a positive statement

jenkins

just read this and want to remind myself or remind people to remind me or, you know

@davidehrlich (senior editor of @Filmdotcom)
rumor has it that, tomorrow, @filmdotcom is gonna premiere a new film by Bill & Turner Ross, shot on the set of AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

!!!!
Quotebehind-the-scenes footage that's being made available to the public. Rather than submit to the standard EPK garbage, Lowery invited brothers Bill and Turner Ross – the extraordinary documentary team responsible for "Tchoupitoulas" and "45365" – to chronicle day-to-day life on set.

The resulting film is a winsome work of art unto itself. Focusing on the quiet moments that ultimately define the production process (Affleck trying to stay in character between set-ups, cinematographer Bradford Young making sure his light falls on a prop just right), the Ross brothers' footage isn't just a neat glimpse behind the curtain for "Ain't Them Bodies" fans, but also a fleetingly beautiful portrait of all the perfect little moments that are spent in the name of preserving a select few on film.
http://www.film.com/movies/bill-and-turner-ross-behind-the-scenes-documentary-for-aint-them-bodies-saints

(think that was already up earlier, lol)

RegularKarate

Quote from: matt35mm on August 19, 2013, 07:09:55 PM

This is the second time you've mentioned Q&A screenings at Violet Crown. Their website kinda sucks... where do you find this stuff?

I really hope I can make one of the screenings that David is at. I was going to go Friday, but if there's a chance D-Low (hate it?) will be there on Saturday, I might try to do some rearrangin'.

Saw the trailer again in front of Blue Jasmine last night and almost knocked my friend over signaling frantically toward it (I don't talk during trailers, I just get disruptively physical).