This Must Be The Place

Started by wilder, July 13, 2011, 12:09:07 PM

wilder

A bored, retired rock star sets out to find his father's executioner, an ex-Nazi war criminal who is a refugee in the U.S.

Directed by Paolo Sorrentino
IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440345/
Trailer - http://tinyurl.com/6gwtpp4
Release Date - November 2, 2012

©brad

Stefen

haha oh no!

But I do think it looks great. It could work!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

The Capote voice was an interesting choice.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

Theatrical release on November 2, 2012

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilder

jenkins

this is important to note:

QuoteOriginal music for the film was written by David Byrne, formerly of Talking Heads. The title of the film is a tribute to the Talking Heads song "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)". The original songs for the film are co-written with indie singer-songwriter Will Oldham.

that's who's behind this:

in the movie this band is named The Pieces of Shit, and they're originally seen performing in a [mall or airport] as Sean Penn passes through. i thought they sounded both impressive and awful and i didn't know Byrne and Oldham were up to mischief.

impressive and awful. twin tastes i'm thankful the Italians are also aware of and actuate. it's a direct means of communicating that life exactly how it is however wonderful it sounds and feels it's a lot of bullshit that humans are making up to create illusions of themselves for protection from raw existence, you know, bleakness and strength are my two favorite qualities and the ones i search for the most, so Italian culture now and then knowingly uses contemporary pop culture as their shield.

the premise of This Must Be the Place is utter nonsense. this is what happened:

QuotePaolo Sorrentino said Sean Penn told him he wanted to work with him after seeing Sorrentino's film Il Divo at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival, where Penn headed the jury. With Penn in mind, Sorrentino wrote the screenplay for This Must Be the Place with Umberto Contarello. Sorrentino had for a long time been fascinated by Nazi war criminals who had managed to keep their former crimes secret, and went on to live ordinary lives. To add an element of irony to a story about such a person, Sorrentino came up with Penn's character: "a slow, lazy, rock star who was bored enough and closed in his self-referential world to the point of being, seemingly, the last person who would embark on a crazy search for a Nazi criminal, probably dead by now, across the United States."

some people heard the idea and:

QuoteThe film had a production budget of US$28 million. Production was led by the three Italian companies Indigo Film, Lucky Red and Medusa Film. Italian bank Intesa Sanpaolo invested €2.5 million ($3 million) in the film, while Eurimages provided €600,000 ($750,000) in funding. The film also received funding from France and Ireland.

anyone who's already seen the movie is wondering what the fuck. it's an incredible example of personal strength allowing people to walk through winds of absurdity.

it's so well made. Sorrentino knows how to make a movie. Sean Penn knows how to act, he's acting. Frances McDormand acts. there's a ridiculous scene that's an example of why sometimes when i hear people talking i know they're pretending their life is a movie, referring to when Sean Penn tells David Byrne his bummed nature essentially comes from two people being influenced to commit suicide from his songs. he tells him this on a fucking stage, and Byrne stands there and listens.

i bought this movie and last night was my second time watching it. oh they're so horrible aren't they, you could have a night of first-world movie bummers by watching This Must Be the Place, Stoker and My Blueberry Nights. however you feel about the latterest the point is there's WKW in Las Vegas.

the dp Luca Bigazzi after this shot The Great Beauty, before this shot Certified Copy, and Il Divo.