Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

squints

Holy crap white walkers....

When does season 3 start? Next week right?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

Meh, zombies are zombies. We'll see what happens. My favorite part of the finale was actually Daenerys's section. With Theon's comeuppance a close second. (Though I don't understand where the Stark troops went or how they could have allowed Winterfell to be burned.)

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 29, 2012, 05:48:25 PMAnd Joffrey's position seems weakened at this point.

I was certainly wrong about that. I also thought Tyrion would be celebrated or at least recognized for his, you know, saving the city. I guess I overestimated the visibility of his role or something. I mean really, couldn't a whole bunch of people see that he was giving the orders, and that Joffrey was running away? I don't understand how all of that could have been whitewashed.

Also, why did Joffrey have to name Tywin hand of the king? That was already done. Tyrion was subbing for him. Did they need to do it in person?

squints

vague spoilers

Well i'm a total jackass and i just read the wikipedia entry for book 3, which will be seasons 3 & 4, and i'm convinced that George RR Martin has absolutely no soul.

But even knowing, I am anxious as hell to see all of those plotlines come to life.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

moderate, mostly vague Sansa spoilers (book spoilers)

After Season 1, I couldn't help myself and read Sansa's entire plotline. It's epic, satisfying, and she appears to get much more interesting. She could easily end up being one of the best characters of the series.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 04, 2012, 12:09:25 AM
My favorite part of the finale was actually Daenerys's section.

mine too, when she entered that tower thought they would leave us with that huge cliffhanger, im glad we got closure with her story, good that she went from whining and demanding to take action by herself.

now that the 13 are death or trapped, wouldnt be logical to take the reigns of qarth?

With Theon's comeuppance a close second. (Though I don't understand where the Stark troops went or how they could have allowed Winterfell to be burned.)

I dont get that too, they were surrounded and outnumbered, doesnt make much sense to see everything burn and do nothing.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 29, 2012, 05:48:25 PMAnd Joffrey's position seems weakened at this point.

I was certainly wrong about that. I also thought Tyrion would be celebrated or at least recognized for his, you know, saving the city. I guess I overestimated the visibility of his role or something. I mean really, couldn't a whole bunch of people see that he was giving the ordersnot even his, and that Joffrey was running away? I don't understand how all of that could have been whitewashed.

Also, why did Joffrey have to name Tywin hand of the king? That was already done. Tyrion was subbing for him. Did they need to do it in person?

not even his dad gave him credit, thought at least that would happen in some way or another. I hope tyrion isnt relegated from the spotlight next season...or killed.

I think Joffrey gave his grandfather his due because of cersei and to make it official, since his naming was done in his absence.

my other fave part was as usual Arya, even if it was very short. Id love to see her faceless, can you imagine? but she has to meet his mom and brother. btw, isnt too dangerous for them to travel alone? they are too exposed and unarmed (i think)

damn, its going to be a long ass wait for S3.

RegularKarate

I love this show, but Season 2 finale was kinda boring compared to the last handful of Season 1 episodes.
After the siege, there wasn't too much to get me excited, it felt like tying up (mostly) obvious loose ends.  It felt like the same beats from the end of the first season played out again, but this time less incredible because we already saw it all happen and this time around it feels less important.

Still love the show and will probably be forced to read these dumb books between seasons.

Fernando

Season 3 Trailer.

for the purists (JB), it isnt spoilerful

Jeremy Blackman

That's definitely a bit spoilery.

Fernando

really? other than they are at each others throats I didnt think it was....what part you felt spoilery?

I probably wont see any more promos thou

polkablues

If you subscribe to the creeping expansionary definition of spoilers that's taken hold over the last few years, then sure, it's spoilery. Then again, if you subscribe to that definition, why are you watching any promos in the first place?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Hey, I said "a bit spoilery," which is clearly a couple steps down from "spoilerful." It's not egregious, and I'm not especially traumatized.

Nonetheless, if you really want to know, I felt the clip of Daenerys at 0:25 revealed a significant plot development that I would have liked to actually see develop first. It was not even clear when or to what extent that would happen.

0:45 is a spoiler... though I'm not really invested in that storyline.

The Daenerys spoilage after that is slightly annoying.

squints

Well that was fuckin awesome. Can't wait for next week. Waiting sucks.

Fernando

yes it sucks squirts, yes it sucks  :yabbse-smiley:

I know it was a given but still good to hear...

I have read that this season only covers the first half of the 3rd book, but haven't read it from the producers, anyone knows if that is true?

I hope we see Arya next week, I need my Arya fix :), btw I NEVER watch the teaser of next week's episodes, so if she showed up on that I don't want to know....

MacGuffin

Quote from: Fernando on April 02, 2013, 12:49:57 PMI have read that this season only covers the first half of the 3rd book, but haven't read it from the producers, anyone knows if that is true?

Any particular challenges?

Benioff: We always talked about doing the third book in two seasons, but it's not quite that neat. There's not a halfway point in the book where all the story lines break. We're drawing things in from other books and [adding] other plot lines that were implied by the books but not shown. It's trickier in that sense. We could easily write a show about just, say, Bronn [Jerome Flynn]. The Bronn Show.

Sellsword.

Benioff: Good title. We could do a great half-hour comedy with Sam [John Bradley] and Gilly [Hannah Murray]. It's an embarrassment of riches. There's so many great characters and you want to spend more time with them. George always wanted more hours per season. And it would be great, but we just can't. It was getting to the point where we were turning in VFX shots on "Blackwater" [last season] a week before airing. It was getting to the point where Quality Control in New York for HBO had to get the tapes couriered with 20 minutes to spare. There's no possible way for us to do an extra hour.

Weiss: The episodes will be longer though, slightly. We're getting a few more minutes into each episode.

Benioff: I don't know how Vince Gilligan manages to get every episode of Breaking Bad in at 47 minutes and 16 seconds. You never feel on Breaking Bad "oh they stretched that out" or "they trimmed it." It all feels perfectly organic.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/29/game-of-thrones-best-season-yet/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

I love how Vince Gilligan is a deity among show runners. Totally deserved.

Solid premiere, Dany had more to do in this episode than the entirety of Season 2, dragon CGI was looking a bit spotty though. That Giant on the other hand looked fantastic, i'm guessing that was forced perspective. Jon Snow still looks constipated.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty