Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Fernando

Quote from: squints on May 06, 2013, 06:41:48 PM
I've read a storm of swords by now, and while i know what is going to happen, I am still intrigued as hell to see how it all plays out here.

I have non spoiler question for you of anyone who has read the 3rd book. obvsly please no spoilers.

right now we have seen eight episodes, are we near the end of the book? I ask because there are only two episodes left and it feels there is too much going on, and even though mac posted an article where the creators said they would adapt the whole book, ive read comments that still claim they're adapting only half....

Jeremy Blackman

My impression was that the book is still being split into two seasons, so we will end this season somewhere near the middle of the book.

Fernando

HOLY SHIT!!

spoils S03E09

is everyone speechless??

this fucking show, read a few weeks ago a random comment about Robb so I had a bad feeling but not this bad, not like this.  :(

these Starks cant catch a break can they? at least the hound took Arya and she's "safe" (so far)

I hope the Stark kids live at least this season because I cant take losing one more.

btw, I didn't get why Catelyn realised what was going to happen, what was the thing she saw under Bolton's sleeve?

I'm devastated.

Jeremy Blackman

(Spoilers for this episode)

Uhh yeah, wow, that whole thing was executed in such a harrowing way. It reminded me of the scene in Qarth where the whole council had their throats cut, except this obviously had crazy emotional impact. (These were three of our lead characters!) It also reminded me of that scene in Braveheart (omg Braveheart spoilers incoming) where his wife's throat is cut. There's something about matter-of-fact stabbings and throat-cuttings of major characters that reliably delivers maximum devastation.

The stomach stabbing was absolutely horrifying. It certainly delivered that sense of WHAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW?!? — that look on Talisa's face is pretty much how I felt. I still can't close my jaw.

Even more devastating was Catelyn's final expression. All the tragedy of her life was crystalized in that moment. And of course she had to be the last one to go, her throat unceremoniously sliced, the blood basically spraying at the camera. Her tragedy just usurped Ned's.

I definitely appreciated all the foreshadowing in this episode:

- Frey shrugging off the oath-breaking should have raised some serious red flags.
- Someone said of the impending festivities, "the hall will flow red with wine" or something like that.
- The surprise pretty daughter should have sincerely freaked people out. Why on earth would Frey be so generous?
- Bolton refusing wine.
- Robb and Talisa's excessive happy talk and smiling was like a screaming alarm.
- When sizing up Talisa, I think Frey was actually confirming that she was pregnant (his talk about being able to tell what the dress is hiding and such).

That's from memory; I'm sure a rewatch would yield a few more. Tell me what I missed.

When GRRM was writing the book, he was like... man, I need to kill another Stark, but it really needs to have some impact this time. Let's kill a few of them... and one of them should probably be a fetus.

Quote from: Fernando on June 02, 2013, 11:06:25 PMbtw, I didn't get why Catelyn realised what was going to happen, what was the thing she saw under Bolton's sleeve?

She was first tipped off when the guards closed the door. Then she started looking around and putting things together, and you could just feel that sinking feeling along with her. The dread in that scene was amazing.

Anyway, she saw that Bolton was wearing chain mail under his clothes, i.e. he was dressed for battle.

Jeremy Blackman

Some more to chew over...

"The Rains of Castermere," in addition to being the title of this episode, is the song that plays just before the massacre. It is the Lannister victory song, which Cersei apparently mentioned last episode.

Don't forget Melisandre's leeches! Robb was one. The other two were Joffrey and Balon Greyjoy.

Why did Jon ditch Ygritte? Maybe he's disillusioned because she killed that innocent guy.

Also I want to echo this sentiment that many people are having right now: Burn it, Daenerys. Burn it all to the ground.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 03, 2013, 12:39:09 AM
I definitely appreciated all the foreshadowing in this episode:

- Frey shrugging off the oath-breaking should have raised some serious red flags.
- Someone said of the impending festivities, "the hall will flow red with wine" or something like that.
- The surprise pretty daughter should have sincerely freaked people out. Why on earth would Frey be so generous?
- Bolton refusing wine.
- Robb and Talisa's excessive happy talk and smiling was like a screaming alarm.
- When sizing up Talisa, I think Frey was actually confirming that she was pregnant (his talk about being able to tell what the dress is hiding and such).

That's from memory; I'm sure a rewatch would yield a few more. Tell me what I missed.

not from this episode but last season Catelyn warned Robb that ''you dont cross a man like Frey'' or something like that when he was about to marry Talisa.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 03, 2013, 12:39:09 AM
When GRRM was writing the book, he was like... man, I need to kill another Stark, but it really needs to have some impact this time. Let's kill a few of them... and one of them should probably be a fetus.

read this, it's GRRM talking about the red wedding, dont worry, he just talks about what happened in this episode and nothing else.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/02/game-of-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-why-he-wrote-the-red-wedding/

Jeremy Blackman

Interesting interview. I totally respect it as a creative decision... in fact all the foreshadowing and setup probably goes a little further than it has to.

But this is my feeling right now. You can put all the surprises you want elsewhere in the story, but if Daenerys doesn't deliver, I think I will be genuinely and unforgivably disappointed. You can make it complex... let her be corrupted, even... but she must deliver. I mean really. White walkers are killed by fire, and she happens to have fire-breathing dragons. Seems like things should come together. If she fails, it's just going to be dumb.

Oh and another piece of foreshadowing in this episode, delivered by Robb: "My mother's alone with Roose Bolton. I should rescue her."

Very funny, writers. That's just cruel.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 03, 2013, 01:24:29 AM
Some more to chew over...

Don't forget Melisandre's leeches! Robb was one. The other two were Joffrey and Balon Greyjoy.

Why did Jon ditch Ygritte? Maybe he's disillusioned because she killed that innocent guy.

Also I want to echo this sentiment that many people are having right now: Burn it, Daenerys. Burn it all to the ground.

all the time Arya was staring at the twins should be another sign, you can see in her sad/worried face she feels so close yet so far.

it makes sense now that she never made it since Melisandre told her they would meet in the future, I guess she's off the hook for now? speaking of witch....I'm taking a little comfort that Melisandre's leeches work, since Robb was the first one, maybe Balon is next and then Joffrey...

man the stark kids were so close to meet Jon, at least Bran saw him, btw, why didn't Jon recognize Bran's wolf? I mean he should....

Jon does care for Ygritte so I don't think he's disillusioned, maybe he will try to get her later when they attack castle black...

squints

man i knew this shit was coming but my stomach was turning the entire episode.

THE LORD OF LIGHT WILL HAVE THEM ALL
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Tictacbk

I don't think I've ever reacted to an episode of television the way I'm reacting to this one.

I'm not sure if I thought it was amazing or if I want to give up on this show right now...

Pubrick

that was one of the best episodes of television i have ever seen.

what a time to be alive.

more later.. i'm just gonna be in a coma for a few days.
under the paving stones.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

This was the first time in a long time where I've genuinely been pissed off at a SHOW, as in a specific unit of 1 hour's worth of image and sound. Not with the production, characters, writing, story, etc...just plain PISSED OFF at the life that surrounded that unit of time spent watching.
Kudos to this show for building up to these sorts of crescendos every season.

Drenk

Ascension.

Fernando

more thoughts

right now for Sansa being married with Tyrion isn't so bad for her, now she doesn't have any good option where to go.

please let Arya at some point meet someone from Braavos so she summons Jaqen. valar morghulis.
i don't think the hound will harm her, question is, where will they go? what are his options? Stannis? some Stark bannermen? but how long can they still remain Stark bannermen? the Starks are gone as a power house. the Tullys?

btw, did they show what happened to Blackfish? don't remember seeing him, and he seems like a stand up guy, if he is it's only obvious he's gone by now, also, what about the uncle who married the Frey girl.....

one of two good things that happened is that Bran's storyline finally got interesting..

the other one is more proof of Sam's photographic memory, he reads he files it, just like that.

Edit:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 01, 2013, 11:12:24 PM
My impression was that the book is still being split into two seasons, so we will end this season somewhere near the middle of the book.

Just read this: "The Red Wedding takes place in the middle of Martin's third novel in the series, A Storm of Swords."
glad you were right.

guess huge cliffhangers are in order...