Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Mel

Spoilers 4x05

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 06, 2014, 11:40:34 AM
Sansa was indeed probably safer at King's Landing. However, it's pretty obvious Littlefinger has a thing for her, perhaps a semi-paternal thing, and I actually do think he wants to protect her. Remember how he was with Catelyn? He may be creepy, but he's honorable in that way.

I wouldn't be surprised if something happened to Lysa. Clearly Littlefinger has something else planned.

Honorable is wrong word in any context regarding Littlefinger. He definitely had something toward Catelyn, in that view Purple Wedding can be a revenge. Still allying himself with Tyrells, when Lannisters aren't getting any richer is just way too convenient.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone around Littlefinger was killed. He removes obstacles that can't be manipulated to his needs and/or there is some gain for him in doing so. Would be Sansa much safer with just Littlefinger?

He was trying to scare/impress/teach Sansa since her arrival in King's Landing. Does he have honest intention towards her or that she is Stark is more important? He is definitely playing long game, but beyond that I don't know.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Fernando

*edit: wrote the post before reading Mel's comment, which I completely agree with*

Littlefinger and honor is like water and oil, they just don't mix...you are right thou that he must have a card under his sleeve and that he really wants to protect Sansa but that thing he has for her isn't semi-paternal, no fucking way.

like Mel already pointed out, he pretty much is responsible for this war, which started with Jon Arryn's death and the infamous Tyrion's dagger...then starks started to die and in that process Catelyn which he 'loved' (obsessed about), maybe that's why he killed Joffrey, to avenge her death? and also an opportunity to make another powerful friend.

-------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o --------------------

If some ppl in Kingslanding believe Tyrion is innocent, then why the hell haven't they wondered who else could have plotted to kill Joffrey? we haven't seen much of Varys, I imagine he would suspect of him if they rule out Tyrion for once and for all or Jaime who believes in his brother, why in the fuck he isn't talking with his father about it.

-------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o -------------------- o --------------------

I hope Dany's journey doesn't turn tedious, I think its great that she wants to go back set free again those ppl, but maybe this time it'll come with a price, maybe she loses one of her dragons, Jorah or someone else...

it made me so happy when Bran-Hodor killed Locke, and I wanted to see Bran with Jon again but I guess that isn't interesting and would have been just for sentimentality sake...

Mel

Spoilers

Quote from: Fernando on May 06, 2014, 12:45:31 PM
If some ppl in Kingslanding believe Tyrion is innocent, then why the hell haven't they wondered who else could have plotted to kill Joffrey? we haven't seen much of Varys, I imagine he would suspect of him if they rule out Tyrion for once and for all or Jaime who believes in his brother, why in the fuck he isn't talking with his father about it.

I presume that Tywin is already working on it. Yet I see how he could still sacrifice Tyrion for the good of family. By blaming Tyrion it becomes a personal matter, otherwise it means that they have powerful enemies and Lannisters could look weak (not immune anymore).

Beside I'm not sure if it would change much if Tywin would find out. Is he smart as he think he is? Olenna initially was outmaneuvered by Tywin in Sansa-Loras marriage plot. Now it seems the other way. Olenna pointed out possible problems with Iron Bank to Tywin, just before Joffrey's death. Was that only by coincidence? I don't think so. Beside Olenna is really interested in good of family in my opinion and she didn't want enter the war initially. That sets her apart from Tywin and his drive for power.

Jeremy Blackman

By "honorable" I meant "not rapey." And I do believe that. This is a complex universe; I think Littlefinger can be creepy while also being at least sufficiently protective of Sansa.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 06, 2014, 11:40:34 AMit's pretty obvious Littlefinger has a thing for her, perhaps a semi-paternal thing

^ I was trying not to come out and say it, but to me his thing for her feels both paternal and sexual, i.e. incestuous. Again, creepy, but it could still work in her favor.

NOW THATS SOME GOOD FUCKING GOT
holy crap! one of the best episodes ever?

diggler

Tyrion's smackdown of the court was truly cathartic.

Loved Dany's scene, from a visual standpoint it was one of the best of the series. This is why Westeros has a small council, you can't micromanage everything.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

Yup another great one. This season is going quite well.

Spoilers for this episode...

Remind me how this works. Who will be engaged in the "trial by combat" on either side? The Mountain vs. Bronn?

Axolotl

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 12, 2014, 12:44:46 PM
Spoilers for this episode...

Remind me how this works. Who will be engaged in the "trial by combat" on either side? The Mountain vs. Bronn?
We'll find out next week.

Or you can look up the title of episode 8.

Mel

Spoilers 4x06

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 12, 2014, 12:44:46 PM

I'm not sure how it works either. We have seen two trails by combat so far: Tyrion and Hound. In normal condition it is accused versus accuser I think. So it would be Cersei, but she is unfit to fight (same as Lysa Arryn), so she will name champion. Tyrion will probably demand the same.

As who will be named, title of next episode is kinda spoilerish, but we can still theorize. It would be interesting if any of the side named Jaime. Would Tyrion risk his life if Cersei named him, would Tywin risk his life if Tyrion named him?

I'm not sure if choice of "trail by combat" is a surprise to Tywin, since Tyrion did that before. I personally think that he is more angry (deal that included Jaime did go south), than surprised. At least with "Done!" scene, Tywin again proven he plans few moves ahead.

I liked episode very much, still one scene was a bit phony: Yara escaping from Dreadfort (editing/time issues?). Other than that, episode was full of memorable scenes.

One thing that I didn't quite understand is talk between Oberyn and Varys. Best I get about Varys speech about desires and pointing at Iron Throne is some kind of double game. Is it warning about pursuing Mountain and that Oberys should focus on bigger picture? Otherwise words of Varys don't kinda apply to him directly.

Mel

It is such a great moment, I could watch over and over again:

Interesting I didn't notice before that he called Joffrey a bastard in public - I mean I did hear it, but I did forget about implications of doing so in GoT. As a bonus crew of GoT discussing whole scene.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS FOR LAST EP

Tyrion's move might have been ripped from the headlines. Story from 2002:

Court refuses trial by combat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1416262/Court-refuses-trial-by-combat.html

A court has rejected a 60-year-old man's attempt to invoke the ancient right to trial by combat, rather than pay a £25 fine for a minor motoring offence.

Leon Humphreys remained adamant yesterday that his right to fight a champion nominated by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) was still valid under European human rights legislation. He said it would have been a "reasonable" way to settle the matter.

Magistrates sitting at Bury St Edmunds on Friday had disagreed and instead of accepting his offer to take on a clerk from Swansea with "samurai swords, Ghurka knives or heavy hammers", fined him £200 with £100 costs.

Humphreys, an unemployed mechanic, was taken to court after refusing to pay the original £25 fixed penalty for failing to notify the DVLA that his Suzuki motorcycle was off the road.

After entering a not guilty plea, he threw down his unconventional challenge. Humphreys, from Bury St Edmunds, said: "I was willing to fight a champion put up by the DVLA, but it would have been a fight to the death."

Jeremy Blackman

I hate to say I told you so... but yeah...

Protecting Sansa, check. Shadings of paternal incest, check.

"You could have been my daughter." A few seconds later: *smooch*... I didn't expect her to be into it, though. Interesting.

Decent episode, but the directing felt lackluster. Also, too much exposition/subtext-as-text in that first scene with Tyrion and Jamie.

Mel

Spoilers 4x07

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 19, 2014, 02:08:40 AM
Decent episode, but the directing felt lackluster. Also, too much exposition/subtext-as-text in that first scene with Tyrion and Jamie.

Rhythm of the episode didn't feel right to me either. After some consideration, I think I know the reason. This is basically a filler episode. Judging by the amount of intimate scenes it was cheaper to do than some of the previous episodes. To be honest I don't mind it too much - a payoff was still there.

All scenes with Tyrion make sense to me - it is pretty much a goodbye. I'm not sure how it will end up for him and that works. It is interesting that there was a lot of honesty or at least half-truth saying in this episode.

As for Sansa and Littlefinger it looks like it could turn into Graduate type of relationship or something similar. Confusing to say at least.

picolas

spoils 4.7

i loved that episode, but there were some sloppy choices here and there:

- the mountain killing random dudes for no discernible reason. does it matter? not really, but odd.
- arya killing a dude who's just standing there waiting to be killed. it was funny, but i wish he'd been in a corner or something.
- dany's overextended, awkward penis gaze.
- sansa slapping robin felt abrupt and unearned DESPITE the fact that everyone already wants to slap that kid.
- the sansa/littlefinger kiss lasted way too long/felt out of character for sansa. more on that later...
- lysa holding sansa over the moon door.... first off, the way sansa just joined her there with little to no hesitation was nuts. she should have at least tried to keep her distance, especially after lysa grabbed her arm out of nowhere the last time they had a chat. the way lysa actually held her over the door was so odd. she was, like, grabbing her just below the neck. i was never convinced she was in a position to push her out. she should've been holding her whole body or something. carrying her. it detracted from the suspense for me.

i've been reading/comparing the book a bit this season and i want to talk about some differences between this ep and the text. there are ZERO spoilers (because i don't know them) but i thought i should mention that:

lysa reveals the whole jon arryn thing in a moment of weakness/anger before littlefinger pushes her out the moon door, which makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE than how they did it in the show. in the show she says it for no reason in between making out and it gets thrown into the middle of an episode, even though it's one of the biggest twists in the series thus far. lots of people didn't even register how important it was after the episode was over. i don't understand why ben/weis decided to shift it into such a weird place. it would've had so much more impact at the end of this episode, and littlefinger's push would've been WAYYY better motivated. i also prefer how in the book, littlefinger helps sansa build the castle which robin ruins much more intentionally with a giant doll. when littlefinger takes advantage, sansa is much more resolutely like 'ewwwwww! you could be my dad!' and he's like 'but i'm not! haha!'. it's been really interesting watching the season through this lens, but often to the detriment of the series. not sure if i should keep doing it but i love all the details that the show is missing out on or changing for no reason. sometimes they get it right, and i still love the show to death. i liked the new tyrion cell scenes.

Mel

Spoilers 4x07

Quote from: picolas on May 20, 2014, 02:49:56 PM
lysa reveals the whole jon arryn thing in a moment of weakness/anger before littlefinger pushes her out the moon door, which makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE than how they did it in the show. in the show she says it for no reason in between making out and it gets thrown into the middle of an episode, even though it's one of the biggest twists in the series thus far. lots of people didn't even register how important it was after the episode was over.

Arryn's murder mystery was already reveled two episodes back - it was discussed in thread. Or you mean something else by biggest twist?