Actors that you'll watch any film they lead

Started by Pas, February 23, 2010, 12:52:18 PM

picolas

hoffman, of course. he's hilarious in Polly ...what little i've seen.

jackie earle haley has become another one. so interesting in everything. and always totally different. he tricked me into thinking watchmen was a good movie when he was on. carey mulligan's on her way too.. so's fassbender. oh and of course jo gord lev. that two-movies-in-one alternate timeline thing he did looks TERRIBLE but i may still watch it anyway.

kingsley elevates everything he's in, though i could not finish sound of thunder for the life of me.

as far as "b-movie" people go... that's tougher. samuel l. is always a strong draw.

pete

you can't counter an argument in this thread by simply listing bad films.  it's not interesting that way - who hasn't done a shit film or a film that you don't like?  the question is who you'll watch in a film, not who you'll watch in a film that you will still like after you've seen it.  the latter is tough.  there just are actors that I like that I'll give chances to despite the odds, that's a funner discussion than "Matt Dillon starred in Crash".  Listing bad films like criminal records feel like a tactic from high school cinema club.  Which I'd love to be a part of if my school had one but my school sucked.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

Exactly right pete! Doesnt matter if the movie is bad, you just really like watching this actor going.

PSH and Koteas are really worthy leaders in popularity so far

children with angels

"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

polanski's illegitimate baby

EDIT: MATT DILLON. NOT PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN.  :bravo:
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

Gold Trumpet

I didn't look at the original post...B movie actors....

Steven Seagal. Once upon a time I could say I had seen all of his movies, but then he discovered the direct-to-video racket and even though the USA channel gives me a chance every night around 3am to catch up on them, I can't bring myself to do it. Still, his 80s and early 90s movies are great fun and he's always the main ingredient. Under Siege is also a favorite still.

Ryan Reynolds. Has the talent to do more, but he satisfies himself with bad movies. Just Friends is hard to turn off when it comes on TV. He's really charming and very likable. I think Ghostboy once said he makes bad movies better than they are. I agree. He is also from British Columbia and has the good sense to be a devoted Green Bay Packers fan. That alone means he can do no wrong in my book.

Scarlett Johansson. For the fact she wore a Green Bay Packers jersey on Rachael Ray with Reynolds once, haha.  

Pas

Haha I seem to remember stefen also liking Ryan Reynolds a lot.

I do, too. I even watched that one called Waiting with Justin Long that NOBODY in the world ever saw. I liked it. I caught it at 2AM on a weird channel in Costa Rica in english with spanish subtitles. I just realized that this also stars Anna Faris! Children with Angels, this one's for you!

He reminds me a lot of Ben Affleck, who also does a better job than what media/people give him credit for. Conviction piece: his last role in Extract (the Mike Judge thing wih Jason Bateman). He was so Reynoldsy in that.

pete

I think I've posted this before.  But here ya go GT.
Seagal when he was a badass and a good actor:

Seagal when he was a badass and a good musician:

one of those two statements about Seagal was not sincere.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

Ralph Fiennes is always good.

also, Zooey, but this dedication may change as the last few films I've seen her in have been anything BUT impressive (GIGANTIC?!), and I'm beginning to think she should stick to singing. :(
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

Yup, my man crush on Ryan Reynolds goes back to the Van Wilder days. He's a good actor but he's in some bad movies (which he usually makes better).

He's become quite the star the last couple years, it seems. I hope he translates this to making good movies and not just cashing in.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polanski's illegitimate baby

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 24, 2010, 06:11:54 AM
I didn't look at the original post...B movie actors....

Me neither... hence i was obviously sarcastic regarding Matt Dillon...
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

squints

No one's mentioned THE B movie actor - Bruce Campbell

I only watched 2 seasons of Burn Notice because of 2 things
1)Pete's recommendation
2) Bruce Campbell

Evil dead, bubba ho-tep and maniac cop are three of my favs.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche