The Worst is The Best!

Started by RegularKarate, June 02, 2009, 11:46:21 AM

RegularKarate

So I've mentioned it before, but every Sunday night for the past almost two years some fellow improvisers, comics, and friends and I have used our theater to screen bad movies, drink, and make fun of them.

I thought we could have a thread for Awesomely bad movies.

Here are some things we've discovered over the years (because just being bad alone doesn't work):
- Comedies almost never work.  It's not funny to watch someone try to be funny.  The comedy has to be (for the most part) unintentional.
- In most cases, the more sincere the movie, the funner it is to watch it fail.  If it's tongue-in-cheek (most zombie movies and BLANK VS BLANKs) then it's best left on the shelf.
- Nicolas Cage is almost always a sure bet that it will be entertaining.
- Straight-to-video movies usually end up just being boring.

The more obvious bad movie kings that we have watched a number of times are The Room and Troll 2... these are legendary bad movies that deserve their legend status.

Here are some movies that have really worked well:
- Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
- The Manitou
- The Number 23
- CatWoman
- Orca
- Sonny (2002)
- The Wicker Man (2006)
- Mac and Me
- Next
- National Treasure 2
- Twilight
- Brannigan

Anyone else do this sort of thing?  Anyone have any recommendations?

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

My friend and I had a great time making fun of Pearl Harbor.

Oh, and The Haunting, with Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Tictacbk

If you can find it check out Fatal Skies.  It is astonishingly bad. A group of friends and I randomly caught it as a late night movie on cable and had to watch the whole thing because it was so ridiculous.

Also it stars Timothy Leary.

polkablues

Highlander 2 and the remake of Rollerball.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

The craziest time I've had watching a bad movie is Mary, Mother of Jesus with Christian Bale.

For the first half of the film we thought Christian Bale played Joseph. Then he came around as Jesus. Then we started being SURE that he played Joseph AND Jesus because they were obviously never together on the screen. Then we realized that Jesus was never with ANY other speaking characters, he was always edited in. It's so fucking surreal and strange. And good.

Kal

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 02, 2009, 11:46:21 AM

So the other day I rented Powder Blue. Yes, I think I'm the only person in the world that still randomly goes into Hollywood Video and browses around to rent something (I cancelled my Netflix account before moving to LA).

Anyway, I was wondering why this went straight to DVD considering the cast. 15 minutes into the movie if not less I realized.

What a piece of shit. Not even seeing Jessica Biel's ass for an hour helped. I don't understand when films have so much potential and fire power with good actors and they end up with such a shitty result. This film is like a bad version of Crash. As if Crash was not bad enough, this tried to copy Crash and make it even worse.

Anyway, I just saw this the other night so when I read this thread it reminded me of it.

Convael

Quote from: kal on June 02, 2009, 01:26:09 PM

So the other day I rented Powder Blue. Yes, I think I'm the only person in the world that still randomly goes into Hollywood Video and browses around to rent something (I cancelled my Netflix account before moving to LA).

Anyway, I was wondering why this went straight to DVD considering the cast. 15 minutes into the movie if not less I realized.

What a piece of shit. Not even seeing Jessica Biel's ass for an hour helped. I don't understand when films have so much potential and fire power with good actors and they end up with such a shitty result. This film is like a bad version of Crash. As if Crash was not bad enough, this tried to copy Crash and make it even worse.

Anyway, I just saw this the other night so when I read this thread it reminded me of it.
I watched that too...  The writing was shit, the directing was shit, the cinematography was shit and it was a rip off Magnolia.  Even the "strange natural disaster that brings everyone together" is put in at the end and Jim/Claudia's "do you wanna kiss me" *CAMERA DOLLIES IN SUPER QUICK* is repeated but to almost no effect...  Anyway I would say don't watch Powder Blue because it will just depress you that a filmmaker with such sincere intentions (not 100% sure on the sincerity) can make such a stinking pile of shit.

I saw High School Musical because I had to and I couldn't stop laughing...  There's also a movie with these two people from American Idol that's probably about the worst thing ever made ever....  It's on the imdb bottom 100.

SiliasRuby

Powder Blue is sooo fucking terrible...the only thing AMAZING about it is Jessica Biels Body.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

I'd also look at the following films that go into this catorgory (since I consider myself a expert on this):

Armageddon
Universal Soldier
Transformers
Edison Force
Zombie Strippers
Ghost Rider
House of 1000 Corpses
Demolition Man
Eraser
Double Impact
The Spirit

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pozer

Anyone else do this sort of thing? 

only with the signifother, and it's usually just me pokin fun and her annoyed. that's fun too. wouldnt talk to me for days after Twilight.

Pas

Quote from: SiliasRuby on June 02, 2009, 03:07:16 PM
I'd also look at the following films that go into this catorgory (since I consider myself a expert on this):

Armageddon
Universal Soldier
Transformers
Edison Force
Zombie Strippers
Ghost Rider
House of 1000 Corpses
Demolition Man
Eraser
Double Impact
The Spirit

Good list. As I said in an earlier thread, 80s action movies are completely priceless when translated in french. I'm guessing they're probably very funny in their original version as well.

I shall add a few, bear in mind I haven't seen these in english :

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (starts out great but loses steam as it goes along)
Road House
Tango and Cash
Femme Fatale
Mad Detective

RegularKarate

I forgot another "rule" which is that it should always be short, which is why we can't do (though I've seen and agree they're awful/good:
Armageddon
Transformers

And, like I said, the heavier tongue-in-cheek stuff doesn't really work... especially when it's in the title which is why we won't do:
Zombie Strippers
House of 1000 Corpses

We've already watched:
Universal Soldier
Ghost Rider
The Spirit

Universal Soldier was so-so and Ghost Rider was brilliant because of the Cage factor, but The Spirit was just fucking boring... one of the biggest failures compared to the anticipation.  It was just too damned awful.

Demolition Man and Double Impact are already on the short list and I'll consider some of these others listed here too... Keep 'em coming everybody.

And Pas, Road House kind of falls into the "too awesome" category, but we did it's little brother "Next of Kin" with pretty good success.

oh, and subtitles are no good... it's hard to quip back to something you just read.

Pozer

more Stalloners:

Judge Dredd
Cobra
Over The Top

picolas

my friend, a connoisseur of terrible movies (and starting a similar program), recently discovered 100 Girls.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214388/

it's an appalling masterpiece. truly idiotic and sexist to the point of women not even having good peripheral vision.