departures

Started by pete, June 02, 2009, 01:39:34 AM

pete

trailer

this is the most beautiful movie I've seen all year, and I've seen Up.  It won the Academy Award for best foreign picture.  It's about a celloist who lost his job and finds himself dressing corpses for Japanese funeral ceremonies, and in term dealing with his own past.  It begins like a gentle morbid comedy, almost slapstick, but then ends with a ton of intensity and warmth.  I've seen it twice and both times I've seen the entire theater weep.  The trailer doesn't do the film justice.  Go, and you can take anyone to this film, it's unsinkable.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The trailer is crap and the movie has such a disappointing poster:

However, my theater is running it right now and I have to second everything Pete has said.  It is a gorgeous movie and it feels like an insulting comparison, but not only does this excel at everything that Sunshine Cleaning fucked up trying, it's Japanese.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

fuck, go see this movie already you guys.
fuck.
- Buster Keaton

©brad

Quote from: pete on June 12, 2009, 11:08:58 AM
fuck.

I'm seeing it sunday night. Mod wanna be my date?

Reinhold

Quote from: ©brad on June 12, 2009, 02:23:54 PM
Quote from: pete on June 12, 2009, 11:08:58 AM
fuck.

I'm seeing it sunday night. Mod wanna be my date?

chumps. i'm seeing year one sunday night.

(i wish i was seeing this)
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

This is now available to stream instantly on Netflix for those who haven't seen it yet.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

hmm I reported a sound problem this afternoon and now the movie is offline.
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

it has indeed departed from my instants. boohoo on that.

Stefen

It still says streaming coming soon so maybe they're going to fix it after pete narced on them for not being perfect.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

dude there was no audio you fuckers, you should be thanking me for not watching the greatest unintentional silent film ever made.
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

pete

I was joking you aids cunt.
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

pete

that was a joke too.
God I really hope there's a gas leak in your house right now.
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This movie was snubbed even by the Xixax Awards.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye