Author Topic: Best Film  (Read 4705 times)

MacGuffin

• Admin
  • Respect: +636
Best Film
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »

Best Film: WALL•E

THE NOMINEES

The Dark Knight
Milk
Synecdoche, New York
Wall•E
The Wrestler
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
  • Respect: +183
Re: Best Film
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:50:56 AM »
YES

That's my vote.

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
I'm noticing a lot of variety in all the selections (even a Zodiac upset over There Will be Blood in the DVD section), but I voted for this film, too, and happy it won.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:12 AM »
Wow.  Go us!
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

Pas

• Respect: +10
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 05:59:45 AM »
Wall-E beat Charlie Kaufman, Aronofsky and Gus Van Sant at Xixax. Where are the fanboys ?

Pixar will release a bunch of other movies and Wall-E will just be another Pixar classic. I think The Wrestler is a better film and is more relevant.

As long as Milk didn't win though I'm fine.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +686
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:24:17 AM »
i voted Dark Knight of course, but i really can't hate •n that little guy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

• smh
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »
Makes sense that an animated film was the best movie of it's respective shitty year.

I didn't vote for it, but I'm okay that it won. It really does deserve it. I don't know how Pixar does it.
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

Fernando

• satan's little helper
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:27:40 AM »
Nice surprise, i thought TDK had it locked, like mod I voted for TDK but this was pretty great, man we should send them a link so they see this....looked up at their site and there's a mail but it's for investors..

©brad

• Admin
  • Respect: +211
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »
Makes sense that an animated film was the best movie of it's respective shitty year.

Really? I thought this year was great.

Stefen

• smh
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 10:36:31 AM »
^I'm probably just jaded.
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

Alexandro

• Respect: +459
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 01:37:58 PM »
we might be making an academy kind of historic mistake here. i like walle as much as anyone else around here, but we had the chance to award synecdoche...

RegularKarate

• Admin
  • Respect: +174
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/regularkarate/
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 02:40:59 PM »
we might be making an academy kind of historic mistake here. i like walle as much as anyone else around here, but we had the chance to award synecdoche...

Well, when historians are studying the Xixax archives and see how we screwed up and nominated a film that people will love forever instead of one that people sit through because they're "supposed to" we'll really kick ourselves, won't we?

(just kidding, historians won't exist in the future)

cine

• Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • Respect: +281
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:33 PM »
+1
2009 was the year the fanboys died.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +267
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »
As much as I love Wall●E, TDK should have ruled.

Reinhold

• Respect: +3
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 08:12:59 AM »

Well, when historians are studying the Xixax archives and see how we screwed up and nominated a film that people will love forever instead of one that people sit through because they're "supposed to" we'll really kick ourselves, won't we?

(just kidding, historians won't exist in the future)

i, for one, was completely captivated by synecdoche from beginning to end. i really loved it.  on the other hand, Wall-e was also stunning, and the fact that synecdoche is a harder film to understand than wall e doesn't make it any more or less significant (to history. it actually does make it "signify" more things... but you know what i meant). compared to most mainstream cinema, both are really amazing pieces that would each deserve the "best" ranking here, but wall-e's win takes nothing way from synecdoche. consider also that wall e reached many more people, was a responsibly paced children's movie with a genuinely good message and incredible visuals, and probably got a lot of kids excited about going to the movies.

i'll never forget watching this with my little brother and seeing him as a seven year old pick out the themes of the film and really invest in Wall E and Eve... it's a very important film in its own right because it's perfectly communicative to its target audiences: people untrained in film analysis, and thoughtful people. if your argument against Wall-E is that it's too similar to other films, give me a recent example of a mainstream film that can fairly be said to have that kind of success. show me anything, especially in synecdoche, that can inspire a kid to have both a sense of responsibility and hope.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy