The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

bonanzataz

modern age reminds me of the two gay guys on the "In Living Color" sketch, Men on Film.

As for Pulp Fiction... Haaated it! The only good part was when those two hillbilly boys made love to that beautiful black man.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Quote from: bonanzatazmodern age reminds me of the two gay guys on the "In Living Color" sketch, Men on Film.

As for Pulp Fiction... Haaated it! The only good part was when those two hillbilly boys made love to that beautiful black man.

that comeback deserves TWO SNAPS AND A TWIST!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyI loved '8 Women!' It's all meant to be a joke...and how could you not enjoy seeing all those great (and beautiful) actresses? Oh well.  I know a few other people who don't like it either. But I think it's hilarious.

Yes, it was beautiful. It was a sort of different take on Douglas Sirk than Far from Heaven's much less tongue-in-cheek rendition.

This is definitely not the first or last time I'll quote Andrew Sarris: It's not what [happens in a film], it's how.

I loved 8 Women. It was right up there with Y Tu Mama Tambien and 13 Conversations About One Thing and Punch-Drunk Love and Far from Heaven itself in my favorites of 2002.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazmodern age reminds me of the two gay guys on the "In Living Color" sketch, Men on Film.

My reaction to that sketch has always been and will indefinitely continue to be equally divided between  :lol:  and  :evil: .
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

freakerdude

I had to revive this thread since I rent a lot of movies.....hey, at least I searched first.

I hated Malibu's Most Wanted (who would have thought), dissapointed by Anger Management, and Punch Drunk Love was a good movie for Sandler but still didn't live up to what I expected after all the raves on here about it.

I'm not going to go into detail about reviews and such but I did like A Mighty Wind.....for about the first 30 minutes. Sure, the cast works their parts well together but I failed to see anything too comical like Best In Show. BIS had some very funny moments and the characters were very well developed. AMW seemed to wander too much but maybe I expected more. Is Waiting For Guffman worth renting?

Just got through watching Identity and was rather surprised. A pretty good suspense/mystery/thriller that keeps you in the dark and will twist you up in the end.
MC Pee Pants

pookiethecat

waiting for guffman is pretty overrated in my book.  very funny parts but i think i laughed maybe once.  it's 'intelligent comedy.'  wit.  you'll laugh in your head.  but i didn't find it as hysterical as other ppl.  

as for my own rentals, i rented leaving las vegas and gummo.  i think i've expressed my feelings on gummo pretty well in the chloe sevigny thread.

leaving las vegas was eh...i actually rented it cuz of coffeebeetle's avatar...rekindled old intrigue in the movie.  i thought it was JUST OK.  highly highly depressing, as expected.  parts were just so over-the-top in the sheer despair quotient  i mean, the final sex scene when he basically passes out/dies (i couldn't tell which) was more absurd and comical than moving.  and that hurt puppy dog look on elisabeth shue's face got old after a while.  also, the slow-motion scenes and helicoptor shots of las vegas with the sleazy jazz music were just a little too Cinemax for me.   and why wasn't the scar or her relationship with yuri explored?  for top billing, julian sands was in the movie for less than 5 minutes.  i know this movie means a lot to people, so i don't want to piss on it entirely.  with that in mind, i will say that nic cage's performance had its brilliant moments and the impact  of the depiction of the pervasive sexuality was as bleak and troubling as I imagine it was intended.  but the movie left me wanting more.

-pookie
i wanna lick 'em.

samuelclemens

pookie,
sorry, i'm lazy, otherwise i would locate the chloe s. thread.  could you just give me a yay or a nay on the film gummo.  you seem to have strong opinions on the film, so you either really liked it or really hated it.  i just need to know what direction you are, cause i've always been intrigued with the film

p.s.; the guy that made it was harmony korine, right?  the guy who wrote 'kids'?  i can't remember cause i read about him awhile ago when i first saw 'kids' for the first time at 15 or so and it warped my little mind, being from a small town and being so damned innocent at the time and all that.
Stupid babies need the most attention!

samuelclemens

ah shit, don't want to divert the thread topic.  let's see....

i rented "l'avventura" and i loved it, i loved more the day after though.  i sort of enjoyed "anger management", cause i'm a sentimental bastard and i love sandler.  saw "shoeshine" and loved it.  

up next is "l'atalante"...anyone seen this???
and then a whole lot of godard and truffuat. and the 'blue, white, red' trilogy.  god bless netflix!

pookiethecat

Quote from: samuelclemenspookie,
sorry, i'm lazy, otherwise i would locate the chloe s. thread.  could you just give me a yay or a nay on the film gummo.  you seem to have strong opinions on the film, so you either really liked it or really hated it.  i just need to know what direction you are, cause i've always been intrigued with the film

p.s.; the guy that made it was harmony korine, right?  the guy who wrote 'kids'?  i can't remember cause i read about him awhile ago when i first saw 'kids' for the first time at 15 or so and it warped my little mind, being from a small town and being so damned innocent at the time and all that.

see gummo.  it's a bizarre and occasionally excessive film with lots of scenes of chicanery...ie: korine bullshitting around with a camera.  but other scenes are austere and intricate and provide a critical yet ultimately human look into the highly atypical characters and their rural, economically depressed environments.  also as godardian put it "it has a wonderful visual sense"

you're right, harmony korine made that movie.  he wrote the screenplay for Kids when he was only nineteen.  from what i've read he's sort of a New York party boy- grew up rich, dates chloe sevigny, friends with leonardo dicaprio/david blaine type thing.  that makes it pretty intriguing to me that he'd find so much of interest in the lives of rednecks and show them in a human light.  

aside from korine, gummo, upon introspection impressed me.  see it.
i wanna lick 'em.

samuelclemens

thanks!  nice insight, much better than the typical, 'yeah it was good, see it'.  
i swear i was just thinking, last night, cause i caught the middle of 'julien, donkey boy', how the hell does this guy survive?  i'm sure his movies make as much money as a guy makes working at pizza hut in a year.

i think it's great about him choosing his subject matter even though he's not among those people.  cause the characters he's filming aren't going to have a good opurtunity to tell their stories.  but i guess it is a bit curious how he knows enough about these settings to write about them.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: pookiethecat...from what i've read he's sort of a New York party boy- grew up rich, dates chloe sevigny, friends with leonardo dicaprio/david blaine type thing.  that makes it pretty intriguing to me that he'd find so much of interest in the lives of rednecks and show them in a human light...

Not exactly.  He grew up and lived in Nashville, TN for most of his life.  Gummo was entirely filmed around his hometown, and the majority of his cast were Nashvillians.  Inner-city Nashvillians, that is.  

As he got older he moved to his grandmother's place, which is in NYC.  There's lots of more info on him here, but not very much recent stuff.

bonanzataz

in my personal opinion, waiting for guffman is the best of guest's movies (better than best in show or mighty wind, anyway). anger management was hilarious, i finally rented that and laughed my ass off. anybody who doesn't laugh at woody harrelson in a dress has something very wrong with them.

"my name is galaxia. i come from a little bulgarian village called Lichen ze Dicken!"
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Banky

is it just me or does anyone else kinda miss VHS?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Bankyis it just me or does anyone else kinda miss VHS?

I still mainly rent VHS. Even with new releases, the majority of my rentals lately have been VHS simply because they were only available copies left. Most of my renting is from the old $1 or so aisles no one goes down. They are all VHS and I mainly travel those areas.

~rougerum

modage

Quote from: Bankyis it just me or does anyone else kinda miss VHS?

no.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.