The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

SiliasRuby

'Blood and Wine'
A Simple Story That You Think Might Be Boring But Definitely isn't. What could have been run of the mill gets insanely dark and strangely inventive. The Overacting and Violent action pieces make this really worthwhile to watch late at night. All of the performances are top notch and you get to see a young 'Michael' from 'Lost' and Stephen Dorff's best friend.

'Silver City'
A solid but exhausting satire about how a Bush-type guy finds a dead guy in the colorado river wile running for office. Lot of great faces but it made me feel tired.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Neil

Make way for tomorrow

I was simply amazed with how well this film from 1937 holds up today.  Simply does not miss a beat regarding generational gaps and the constant state of change that we either chose to face or ignore.  This is the only Leo Macarey film i've seen, but I absolutely have nothing bad to say about this movie at.  I suggest everyone put it at the top of your list.

It's just a devastating story laden with light-hearted humor that works perfectly together.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

SiliasRuby

The Big Knife
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047880/
A intense drama that I could see be easily remade with perhaps George Clooney or Russell Crowe in the leading roll. It has the potential to be a great play as well. The ugly side of the business is shown here and while it borders on melodramatics its quite well written. Jack palace gives a riveting performance as the hollywood actor who chose success over art regretting it years later in which the story takes place. Its really worth your time.

Trespass
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1674784/
Such an awful piece of shit. A hostage film with bad Dialogue and over the top acting. Cage and Kidman must really have owed Joel Schumacher a favor of monumentous proportions. The motives and stakes are unclear throughout the film and this film could have been done and over with in 30 minutes but theres so much drawn out that you're bored throughout. Bleh. Nothing but screaming and crying for a hour and a half.

Battleship Potemkin
A fantastic and Beautifully shot film that was revoting and yet a little dry for me. Maybe because I like my silent films with slapstick or screwball comedy in them or I don't feel engaged. I overall enjoyed it though.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

'Flawless'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780516/
a cute nourish heist film that is forgive the pun, a real gem of a film. Demi Moore gives her best performance is what seems to be at least a decade. Whip smart, sweet, clever and what I might think might be the best underrated film of the 2000's. Check it out.

'Margin Call'
A scary and unique look at the financial crisis of 2008. Has a knockout cast but the real shiner here is Kevin Spacey. You get to see his real humanity in the role he is portraying and its the first time he doesn't act overtly smug. For people in business this film will hit home for them who have been laid off, especially in the economic downturn that started in the late 2000's an is just starting to let up now. I don't want to say any more cause I don't want to spoil it but damn this is good.

She's out of my league
A sweetheart film that hurt my heart. Realistic and now my favorite romantic comedy of the past 5 years. I know its a cliche hackneyed picture to most but I loved it.

My Collection

Reel

Quote from: SiliasRuby on January 31, 2012, 12:53:29 PM
Trespass
Such an awful piece of shit. A hostage film with bad Dialogue and over the top acting. Cage and Kidman must really have owed Joel Schumacher a favor a monuments proportions. The motives and stakes are unclear throughout the film and this film could have been done and over with in 30 minutes but theres so much drawn out that you're bored throughout. Bleh. Nothing but screaming and crying for a hour and a half.

then I assume you would be able to appreciate the latest How did this get made? which covers this film. Never saw it/ heard of it, but now I'm intrigued..

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Reelist on February 01, 2012, 07:18:02 PM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on January 31, 2012, 12:53:29 PM
Trespass
Such an awful piece of shit. A hostage film with bad Dialogue and over the top acting. Cage and Kidman must really have owed Joel Schumacher a favor a monuments proportions. The motives and stakes are unclear throughout the film and this film could have been done and over with in 30 minutes but theres so much drawn out that you're bored throughout. Bleh. Nothing but screaming and crying for a hour and a half.

then I assume you would be able to appreciate the latest How did this get made? which covers this film. Never saw it/ heard of it, but now I'm intrigued..
That is why I put it on my netflix queue earlier.

My Collection

Reel

I just watched it and it was baaaaad, but seeing it makes the podcast so much better!

SiliasRuby

Wonderful World
Spoilers
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857275/
A film about seeing the beauty in the world around you. Making your life feel like it has life in it.I was certainly happy by the end of what started out as a downer of a movie. Omar from 'The Wire' does an exceptional job here and yet he falls into a coma just as the movie is about to start. Philip Baker Hall makes a appearance as Matthew Broderick's conscience. Won't say anymore cause I think I gave away too much already but a real interesting film that ranks up there with Matthew Broderick's best stuff.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Shotgun Stories

A Savage, gorgeous film about Broken families, down home boys and vicious anger under the surface. Such brilliance gives me chills and I can not wait to see Take shelter. Its quiet moments have distraught dignity. Part of me really wants to move to arkansas after this cause strangely it reminded me yet again how much I love southern girls.

My Collection

RegularKarate